2019 - Nobody knows how to make a pivoting dpad

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Pixel_Outlaw

2019 - Nobody knows how to make a pivoting dpad

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

I feel like I'm losing my mind here.
It's I've been burned so many times trying to find controllers with center pivots so you can't press all the directions at once.

Again and again controller manufacturers seem to push these things out without even bothering to look at proper dpads.
Just bought a Logitech (Logitrash) F310. Sure enough, no pivot on the dpad. (They go as far as to say it's actually less mushy to not have the pivot, but it makes it MORE mushy).

Purchased the HORIble HORI "HORIPAD" thinking that dpad might have a pivot but nope they just have a tube that sticks down into the pit between buttons.
Seriously HORI of all people. What the hell!?

Purchased the EMiO Edge Gamepad for SNES and surprise it pulls the same shit while having input lag.

It's just very frustrating. I have NO idea how you're supposed to do smooth rolling movements.
The worst part is that a lot of kids who didn't grow up with the real thing will happy use this garbage and write glowing reviews on Amazon.

I did just order the new Sega Genesis shaped controller by SEGA for PC and hope it has the pivot...
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
WelshMegalodon

Re: 2019 - Nobody knows how to make a pivoting dpad

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Are they really so bad? Yes, they definitely do not feel like quality controllers in the slightest, but I beat Ninja Gaiden with my Logitrash F310. Sure, I died to Jaki-Oh and Jashin more than a few times doing it, but I've 1CCed to 6-2 or 6-3 on countless occasions. I can reliably pull off KOF supers with it, too.

Rolling motions are generally done by moving one's thumb around the edge of the controller. The contacts do wear down over time, so if you're a heavy user like me it's guaranteed to become more difficult down the road, but it's still doable.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

There's 8BitDo's M30 Bluetooth controller, which replicates the Genesis d-pad to perfection, according to reviewers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSN1NPC/
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Everything I've ever heard online suggests 8bitDo's controllers look and feel the part but are guaranteed to break on you before long. They generally seem to lack quality control.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The non-pro SF30s have oversensitive diagonals, though I haven't had one of their controllers break on me (not saying they won't, though. I think the main complaint with was the triggers breaking on the old model of the N30 Pro). The pads on the others I tried are fine, though. As for others, Joyzz definitely gets the dpad dead right. It pivots! I did have occansional dropouts when using it on Mega SG, though.

One of my favorites is the PS4 dpad. The PS pads are NOT buttons like the switch joycon "pad" and the PS4 is no exception. They pivot when moved and the plastic in the middle ensures that the pad can't be pressed down in the middle like some newer pads.
mainpatr5

Post by mainpatr5 »

Do you have a Xbox One S Controller?
gct

Post by gct »

This aggravates me too, and I'm thinking to open up some of my pads to put a drop of epoxy on the bottom of the dpad or PCB to act as a fulcrum. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it would work yet.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

It started to get really bad with the Xbox 360 D-pad.
Austin

Post by Austin »

The lack of a pivot can be a real problem. On cheaper third-party controllers it can mean pressing down-right and triggering up-left instead. The pivot keeps a d-pad from being able to do this. Obviously diagonals can be triggered unintentionally when unwanted and that's extremely frustrating.

I personally had issues with the original 8bitdo controllers a few years back. I'm curious how the latest ones handle. Generally I just go with original first-party controllers when it comes to old systems. They are generally high quality and work how I expect them to.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Never noticed this before but after a quick investigation I found that all dpads can be pressed down in the center, but some still rock while others go completely flat. So I assume that's what is referred to by pivoting dpad (or lack thereof).

My BUFFALO classic usb gamepad (SFC style) has a pivot. I've been pretty satisfied with this controller myself.

Other controllers surveyed:
old new-style (rounded) NES - pivot
original SNES - pivot
original TurboPad - pivot
original Saturn - pivot
old-style Genesis 6-button (made in Japan) - pivot
new-style Genesis 6-button (made in China) - NO pivot
SLS USB Saturn - NO pivot
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote: Purchased the EMiO Edge Gamepad for SNES and surprise it pulls the same shit while having input lag.
Not sure why websites were making a big deal about that EMiO company when they decided to release a clone of the NES Advantage. I haven't heard too many good things about their controllers and their Edge joystick didn't even work with the NES Classic when it first came out.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:
I did just order the new Sega Genesis shaped controller by SEGA for PC and hope it has the pivot...
If you're talking about the new Retro-Bit pads, reception has been incredibly positive. I'm getting a Saturn one which supposedly ships in the next few days.

Sounds like you'll be happy with this one. Please report back; it sounds like you'll be the first one here getting a pad from this line.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

mikejmoffitt wrote:It started to get really bad with the Xbox 360 D-pad.
You're bringing back bad memories of having to dremel down the plastic gate around the d-pad to make those things actually usable. I must of did at least 20 of those for myself and friends.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

ED-057 wrote:new-style Genesis 6-button (made in China) - NO pivot
Are these the same that came with the Genesis 3 by Majesco? I have a 6-button pad that's made in China, but has decent pivot, second only to the Saturn's.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Apparently Hori's Pokken Tournament controllers have very good D-pads. They're DInput-compatible, too. Could these be the controlelrs we've been waiting for?
Austin

Post by Austin »

I bought one of those a few months ago thinking they would be solid for retro style stuff on the Switch, but I never got around to using it. Thanks for the reminder.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Specineff wrote:
ED-057 wrote:new-style Genesis 6-button (made in China) - NO pivot
Are these the same that came with the Genesis 3 by Majesco? I have a 6-button pad that's made in China, but has decent pivot, second only to the Saturn's.
My two official older style Genesis 6 button pads are made in Malaysia and both have a nice pivot.
WelshMegalodon wrote:Apparently Hori's Pokken Tournament controllers have very good D-pads. They're DInput-compatible, too. Could these be the controlelrs we've been waiting for?
I heard those have a similar pad to the one on the Hori joycon replacement, which is a very nice d-pad. I also heard the Hori Fighting Commander for PS4 and Xbox One has a similar pad.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Honestly, I'm kinda giving up on D-Pads - an arcade stick hits diagonals more reliably. There are a few games such as Monolith where movement on D-Pad is ideal but it also needs a right analog stick to aim, or games where shoulder buttons are important and thus make an arcade stick's button layout trickier to use optimally, but D-Pads never seem to reach the quality of some of the better classic controllers out there like the SNES controller.

The closest I have found are Hori XB360 controllers (which don't have the best analog sticks, diagonals are registered weird on PC in particular) and Xbox One controllers (the D-Pad is solid, but relatively small and not optimally placed, and I had a relatively new Xbox One controller's Left Stick die on me, does not reliably go right any more, so it is essentially a D-Pad exclusive controller now).
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Never forget just how bad the PSP-1000's D-pad is. One of many issues with that handheld. I ended up doing this to it a long while back:
http://mikejmoffitt.com/img/psp2.JPG
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

PSP and Vita d-pads aren't too bad. Much better than the regular PS d-pads before the DualShock 4. Those things are terrible, though the DS4's is alright.

The Hori Pokken controller is a work of art.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:Never forget just how bad the PSP-1000's D-pad is. One of many issues with that handheld. I ended up doing this to it a long while back:
http://mikejmoffitt.com/img/psp2.JPG
The D-pad on this thing is absurdly bad. I distinctly remember it almost never hitting diagonals without absurd force.
I kinda wish I'd done that to mine.

Like, the 2000 onward isn't great, but it's still absurdly better than on the 1000.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.