Best "pocket pc" Compaq ipaq and the likes hardware model

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Hoagtech

Best "pocket pc" Compaq ipaq and the likes hardware model

Post by Hoagtech »

I am looking to relive my glory days of sweet late 90's corporate .com success with a game session involving tomb raider tailored for "strongarm" processors and would like to finish it off with an Age of empires pocket PC edition.

Remembering back to the late 90's. I had a model of compaq that did not allow for simultaneous button presses which made emulators and games very hard.

Even so I had a great time with these devices and would spend hours playing Pocket Nester, Tomb Raider, Age of Empires, Insanaquarium, (whatever that bubble pop puzzle game was) Pocket quake and doom.

My question is which model of Pocket PC would be the most sought after for Strongarm processing before windows Mobile took over the Pocket PC's with their restricted mobile devices and OS?

Is there any Pocket PC's enthusiasts still around? I would love to see what these are capable of in a modern era.
Copyright 1987
Vexorg

Re: Best "pocket pc" Compaq ipaq and the likes hardware mode

Post by Vexorg »

I used quite a few different Pocket PC devices back in the day (including some of the phones), I'd say the best one I used would be the Dell Axim X50v. Some of the HP models (pre HP/Compaq merger) were also pretty good, but I was never a big fan of the iPaq (Compaq and HP generally had different models until fairly late in the PPC's lifecycle) or the Motorola ones. Fortunately the things seem to be dirt cheap now, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0