Just saw Ichi the Killer

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
LoneSage

Just saw Ichi the Killer

Post by LoneSage »

Spoilers:

Wow, it was awesome….bloody awesome* ;) . Nakahara is the most sadistic character I’ve ever seen, and I actually cringed at some parts – which rarely happens to me when I watch movies! Too bad Suzuki wasn’t in the later half of the movie, cos in the first half he created a perfect blend of humor in the movie, like when Nakahara opened the door and he fell down.

I really liked the ending, where Nakahara thought he died the way he wanted to die, being killed by Ichi (and seeing him scalp Kaneko’s kid), but instead he just fell down. It was really surrealistic to see the hypnotist all muscular and stuff, too.

Anyways, awesome movie…check out if you like lots of blood a la Kill Bill Vol. 1 with the Crazy 88 fight. Not to mention the story was riveting as well; it was cool to see the Anjo Gang go from such a large number of people to just Ichi.

Anyways, yeah..I wanna see it again :) Anyone think this is the best Miike movie?

*lame pun
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

I like Karen, she's so hot with her amusing morbidity.

Ichi is great movie (IMO much better than Kill Bill). I'm a gorefreak though, and the bloodier the better.

Kakihara was great as well, "There is no love in your violence"

I hope you saw the uncut version not that shite they tried to pass off for the the R-Rated version. I actually got that, not knowing it was not the uncut version...its not even a 10th as good. Pure bollocks.

If you haven't seen Story of Ricky, I suggest you do - any movie, excuse me, FILM (bwuahah) where a guy tries to strangle someone with his own intestines is pure gold in my book.
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

The version I saw had subtitles, so I can only guess it was the uncut version; any scenes taken out in the Rated R version? I'm interested now.

That part where Kakihara sliced his tongue out and when Mui-Mui (maybe Myu-Myu? can;t remember) had her nipples stretched out on the table and then sliced by a knife were so cool :P
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

^ Wow, that sounds awesome. Guess I got spoiled that part, but then, there's no way anyone could spoil the effect. NO WAY!!! Cutting the nipples is like the first time you did anything awesome--exciting. You always hear people talking about it, be it playing that game, hunting small animals, seeing that chick naked... when you actually experience it, "WWWHOHOHOHOHO, boya!" You get the shotgun blast effect (blown away), make your eyes big :shock:, and think that not even all that talk could have prepared you for it.

Edit: action spoilers I don't mind that much. Story spoilers are another matter altogether.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

The slicing of the nips is very short, but it's nasty and has you pretty bewildered.

Nonetheless that is only one scene of bloody sadism, there are many more.

Anyone seen Gozu? I keep hearing about it.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

A very cool movie indeed 8)
X - P - B
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

If you enjoyed the movie, I highly recommend checking out
the original manga it was based on. (by Hideo Yamamoto)

- torrent(s) here -

It goes into far more detail than the movie does, and concludes
quite differently as well.

P.S. I really dig this artist's works :o
zabu

Post by zabu »

I've seen Gozu and i think it's great.. It's not nearly as shocking as Ichi was the first time I saw it, but still it's a very humorous and strange film :)
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

Gozu is... weird.

I'm not sure what Miike was trying to do with it, to be honest. It really feels like a David Lynch movie on a relatively tiny budget, with some trademark Miike moments thrown in for good measure.

Thing is, it's not as good as Lynch at his best, nor is it as good as Miike at his best (which is, in my opinion, Audition). He definitely tried to make it some sort of surreal masterpiece, but there's just something... off about it. Movies like Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive both have very similar atmospheres and structures, but in those you get a sense of closure when the movie ends. It feels as if you just watched a complete, unified story, even if it made absolutely no sense on the first viewing. Gozu feels like a bunch of barely related set pieces without any real point.

I dunno. I'm probably not being fair to it, but after having seen it three times I still have no clue what to make of it. It's not cryptic, it's just messy.
Andi

Post by Andi »

On the subject of Japanese "body horror" movies: I've recently become interested in the genre. I know about Miike's films and Tetsuo the Iron Man, but aside from that I'm in the dark. Anyone else know of any other relatively easy to track down body horror films or directors that I should check out?
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

Both Tetsuo and Tetsuo II: Body Hammer are must-owns, though Body Hammer isn't as good as the first, which isn't really saying much since it's a retelling of the first film.

I'll have to say Wild Zero before anyone else does, since I love that film, it's really fun to watch. It's the coolest film with zombies I have ever seen, and it's got Guitar Wolf too.

EDIT: Just remembered, go find the Lone Wolf and Cub films. They are excellent.
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

Andi wrote:On the subject of Japanese "body horror" movies: I've recently become interested in the genre. I know about Miike's films and Tetsuo the Iron Man, but aside from that I'm in the dark. Anyone else know of any other relatively easy to track down body horror films or directors that I should check out?
Not sure about any other Japanese ones (maybe the Tomie movies, but most people hate those even though I enjoy them, and they're very tame), but no collection of body horror movies is complete without some Cronenberg. The Fly (remake) is his biggest success, but my favorite of his is Videodrome. The movie features a guy sticking a gun into the vagina that's grown on his stomache... you can't get much more "body horror" than that.
Andi

Post by Andi »

sethsez wrote:Not sure about any other Japanese ones (maybe the Tomie movies, but most people hate those even though I enjoy them, and they're very tame), but no collection of body horror movies is complete without some Cronenberg. The Fly (remake) is his biggest success, but my favorite of his is Videodrome. The movie features a guy sticking a gun into the vagina that's grown on his stomache... you can't get much more "body horror" than that.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of Cronenberg's stuff. Videodrome was pretty good. I'll have to check out The Fly though.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Andi wrote: Yeah, I've seen a lot of Cronenberg's stuff. Videodrome was pretty good. I'll have to check out The Fly though.
You still haven't seen The Fly with Jeff Goldblum!?

It's so awesome...you should check it out.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

llaoyllakcuf wrote:here
I uploaded 2.5 gig of that so don't blame me if you didn't get it :P edit:
on bittorrent that is ((not claiming original)))
Andi

Post by Andi »

Reiki wrote:Both Tetsuo and Tetsuo II: Body Hammer are must-owns, though Body Hammer isn't as good as the first, which isn't really saying much since it's a retelling of the first film.
I didn't know there was a sequel. Tetsuo certainly doesn't need one. I imagine it being extremely underwhelming.
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

It's in colour. There's guns in it now, and they replaced the phallus with a whole group of metallic men who pump iron in the steelworks from Terminator 2. And there's more baldness.