Why do people make "MAME" cabs for console titles?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sumez

Re: Why do people make "MAME" cabs for console titles?

Post by Sumez »

Well, hacks can always be hacked further :) Adding support for it isn't hard at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:Well, hacks can always be hacked further :) Adding support for it isn't hard at all.
Tell that to the person who hacked it (not me). I do like the NES pad and have some other pad options thanks to the 8bitdo dongle, though.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I love a legit MAME cabinet that uses a CRT & nice frontend, but I can't stand the thought of using them for console titles. That's jank. The biggest thing that stands in the way of me investing in one is that I would need two unless someone sells an affordable rotating harness for CRT monitors. Most of the ones sold online seem to be LCD & don't rotate. They also mostly have awful form factor on the cabinets & terribly gaudy art. Then you have to consider control options. Does it have light guns, a trackball, etc? Is the PC inside powerful enough to push the latest MAME or is this just some weak Pi machine? Then there's space constraints depending on where you live.

My answer was to build a modern mini PC & grab a scaler to feed it into my CRT. I just use an XBone controller, but there are many other options compatible with PC. Not an authentic experience but it'll do for now. It's like having a console built for arcade ports. So, in some sort of way I did the opposite & built a MAME machine to use like a console. I guess it doesn't feel jank because it's the most sensible option for bringing the arcade home when home is a third story apartment.
Godzilla was an inside job
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Bit of a silly question, but how does anyone feel on console games getting their own "Authentic" cabinets as if they were made for the arcade in the first place?

You have to figure that some games seem as if they should have had arcade releases specifically, but never got the chance. I keep thinking I'd like to see Alien Soldier/Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Rebirth, or something. Heck just trying to imagine Gunvalkyrie with proper analog twin stick support on a showcase cabinet gives me goosebumps.

Btw, seen a pretty good number of custom cabs for the newer fighting games. I don't think there's any reason to say it's out of place, but it could be adapted for the barcade scene if developers were smart enough to alter some lines of code for them to work.
"Don't HD my SD!!"