XBox 360 to Xbox One License Transfer Question

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

XBox 360 to Xbox One License Transfer Question

Post by Shelcoof »

Hey Guys

Been looking all over for information regarding the digital Licenses for games and can't seem to find the answer.
Hoping the shmup community can help with this one.

I recently picked up an Xbox One and currently want to enjoy all my digital games on both my Xbox One and Xbox 360 at the same time.

I wan't to know if I move over to the Xbone will I lose the local license for my 360? I pretty much want to have access to my digital content without needing to connect online.

bigbadboaz

Re: XBox 360 to Xbox One License Transfer Question

Post by bigbadboaz »

Don't take this for gospel until someone backs me up, as it's been a long time since I had to deal with this myself.

You're fine. MS stuff is tied to your account, not the console. You will have to log in to redownload whatever you have license to onto the One console. But doing so will not affect usability on the older console, nor will you have to be online to play those games once you have installed them on the One.

This is why Nintendo gets so much shit for how they handle digital content. Both MS and Sony tie the purchases to YOU, not a particular machine. You're not stuck playing in one place nor going through some convoluted "transfer" process every time you change. Just log in and DL what YOU BOUGHT - the logical and obvious way it should be.

Enjoy :)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Hey thanks for replying

From my understanding when you purchase content on the 360 you get two licenses. You get a license for the account you used to buy the content and you get a local license for the console.

The local license allows other users to be able to play on that console without needing to log into your account. Your user license you get allows you to play the digital content on any Xbox 360 console as long as you are logged on to the internet. Transfering License from one 360 to another requires you to wait at least 4 months.

What I'm trying to avoid is losing the local license on my 360 if I upgrade to the One. I read that when you log onto the XBone the first time it becomes your home console. That means content will be made available for every user that games on the Xbone.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah that's why I specifically said you won't need to be online to play the downloaded BC versions of games you've DLed to the One.

I do not know for ironclad sure that your ability to play locally on the original 360 stays untouched, but I am super confident about it. Think about the way it works: as you said/know, those games have been playable since inception locally, without logging in. If you don't log in, there's no way that can update. Even if you do, I don't think MS went out of their way to have Live retroactively "zap" away your ability to play whatever you redownloaded onto a One.

As I said, hopefully someone else can add to this. I have added many BC games to my One, but never plugged my old 360 back in.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

You know I just realized that as long as I'm logged into the account that purchased the digital games on it actually still works offline

I always thought you had to be online all the time if it wasn't the original console you purchased the game on

With that discovery I'm not all too worried

The one thing that I actually care about is having access to Virtual On OT system link offline :)

Just tested it out and it works!... so I'm happy about that :D