About the newer smaller Sony PSTwo...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

About the newer smaller Sony PSTwo...

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

My next expensive planned purchase is going to be(hopefully in a few months) a newer PSTwo (Japanese model) with the following games.
Wangan Midnight
DoDonPachi DOJ
ESPGaluda
Star Soldier

Anyway, what is the final vertict regarding the newer smaller model? It does look cool, albiet a little flimsy as well. Looks like two DVD cases stuck together to me! :lol:
So, does it have overheating issues? Incompatability?

I saw em listed at Lik-Sang for $200.00. That seems fair enough, because it would cost $150.00 to get a US model, plus at least 30 bucks for a mod chip...then I have to find someone capable of performing a succesful "mod-job", and most likely they wouldn't do it for free.

Yea, I have an old PS2...it works great, and I want it to stay that way!(I've heard its TOO easy to botch up a mod) Its my old faithful.

Plus, with the newer models, I'm hoping someone creates a "boot" disc. This seems possible due to the PSTwo's "top loading" design.
Last edited by TWITCHDOCTOR on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neon

Post by Neon »

you could just get swap magics, $30 and plays all regions.

Damn, I should start a topic about these. Seems like everyone thinks you need an asian or modded ps2 to play imports.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Yea, but the "Swap Magic" seems kinda cheezy. I'm sure it has "issues".
OmegaFlareX

Re: About the newer smaller Sony PSTwo...

Post by OmegaFlareX »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:So, does it have overheating issues?
I've heard lots of reports about this, but I bought one and haven't had any overheating problems. Sure, it gets quite warm, but so do all my other consoles.
kong

Post by kong »

Twitch there is a new no solder mod chip for the old ps2, DMS4 E.Z.I. Lite and DMS4 E.Z.I Pro. I don't think it works with versions 1-3 of the ps2 though.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:So, does it have overheating issues?
I've heard lots of reports about this, but I bought one and haven't had any overheating problems. Sure, it gets quite warm, but so do all my other consoles.
So, would it be safe to say that it dosen't get any warmer than other older (non cooling fan) CD consoles? Such as the Sega CD, Saturn,PS1, Turbo Duo?
Heck, the Genesis can get pretty warm all on its own...but then, its built like a brick.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I just got a japanese new model PS2. It does get quite warm, I didn't realize it didn't have a fan until now though. I'm pretty paranoid about systems overheating, so I generally don't play for more than an hour or so at a time.

The only problem I've had so far was that it said it couldn't read the disc the first time I turned it on. Shit was brand new, fresh out the box, and so was the game I got with it and for some reason, it didn't load the game the first few tries. It loaded after I pulled my memory card out and hasn't given me a problem since.... granted, I have only had it for three days and it has a total of 13 hours of play time.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:So, would it be safe to say that it dosen't get any warmer than other older (non cooling fan) CD consoles? Such as the Sega CD, Saturn,PS1, Turbo Duo?
Precisely. My Duo actually gets hotter than the PStwo since it has a RGB amp in it that isn't supposed to be there. :) I say go ahead and get one, for nothing else than the space it saves and the onboard modem/ethernet. If you can get an extended warranty with it, that might be a good idea, also. You never know with these Sony consoles.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Neon wrote:you could just get swap magics, $30 and plays all regions.

Damn, I should start a topic about these. Seems like everyone thinks you need an asian or modded ps2 to play imports.
A FAQ about this would be nice from people in the know. My modded PS2 stopped working, and I was wondering what the best replacement option would be (worst-case scenario). The obvious factors to weigh are price, compatability, and reliability. I know swap discs generally work, but just as an example, my copy of Devil Dice 2 wouldn't work with my PSOne using a swap disc. Therefore, I'd hate to buy an American PS2 and a swap disc only to find that one of the, like, 3 games I bought the system to play won't even work.

Right now, I'm just waiting out to see how reliable these PSTwos are. Besides, I don't have the money to buy any new games right now anyway.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

I'd say the PSTwo is reliable. If it can withstand 8 hour marathon sessions of GTA: San Andreas, then I think it's pretty though. (I don't recommend 8-hour marathons though, bad on the player.)

The thing does get pretty hot but if you are so worried about, just put the PSTwo on some raised surface and rig a PC Fan wired to a battery and put it under it there.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Heh, back in the days, I used to think my Sega Genesis would overheat. I always kept it on a shelf or desk, etc. (never on carpet) Anyway, I used a small electric fan pointed right at it. It always kept its cool.

I guess I used to be paraniod about overheating electronics back when I had a Commodore 64 computer, the disk drive would cook! (what was it, a 1041?)
I had removed the screws in the back, and propped it open, with a small fan next to it...that old drive NEVER gave me truoble. (these models were notorious to overheat and fry)
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:I guess I used to be paraniod about overheating electronics back when I had a Commodore 64 computer, the disk drive would cook! (what was it, a 1041?)
A 1541. :D