shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 5:14 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:27 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
CRP wrote:
Bomb Jack - Arcade Archives is out on Switch now :D


One warning, the music has been changed in a couple of stages to tunes from Mighty Bomb Jack. They seem to be using the game's engine rather than using the actual NES tunes. I don't mind since I like the MBJ tunes and they sound nice with the engine. The original game used music from an anime. PS4 version is like this too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:45 am 



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 772
stryc9 wrote:
Yeah Sengoku 3 is good. There's an emphasis on long combos/juggles rather than masses of aggressive enemies on screen, so if that sounds like your bag then you should find some enjoyment.

It's the most solid Neo brawler play-wise by a long shot IMO, but I still like a few of the others mostly for aesthetic reasons. I picked up Sengoku 2 because the art/sound design is badass, Sengoku 3 is pretty generic thematically in comparison.


Cool, thanks. Not used to brawlers with that kind of emphasis but I'm always up for learning new play styles.

I also remember liking Sengoku 2 when I played these games like a scrub years ago. Never played it seriously, though. Might pick em both up, actually


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 2192
Location: Wigan, England.
BrianC wrote:
CRP wrote:
Bomb Jack - Arcade Archives is out on Switch now :D


One warning, the music has been changed in a couple of stages to tunes from Mighty Bomb Jack. They seem to be using the game's engine rather than using the actual NES tunes. I don't mind since I like the MBJ tunes and they sound nice with the engine. The original game used music from an anime. PS4 version is like this too.


Didn't know that, and I thought I'd played a quite a bit of this back in the day. Mind you, I still tend to think of the C64 soundtrack when I picture Bombjack.

Seems to be that non of the ACA Neo Geo games save local scores, but the AA titles do? Bizarre. I'm having to create interrupt data every time I play a game of PB2 in order to keep my scores.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
Marc wrote:
Seems to be that non of the ACA Neo Geo games save local scores, but the AA titles do? Bizarre. I'm having to create interrupt data every time I play a game of PB2 in order to keep my scores.


Vs. SMB doesn't. The high score table resets whenever I play a new game.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:38 am 



Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 905
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
It's a shame these releases seem to have dried up on the AU PSN, has Prehistoric Isle 2 arrived on the US store yet? Apart from that, I've been very happy with the quality of the work Hamster has put forth for these releases. The display options, while obviously not quite M2 tier, are more than good enough to make the games look great on a flat panel. Pity the blur filter is tied to the scanline option, it's a bit too aggressive - the option of dialling it back a few degrees would be nice.

Anyway, not complaining, as overall the ACA NeoGeo releases seem to be the best ports to modern systems thus far - certainly more consistent than the PS2 NG Online Collections. My only wish would be to see Ironclad and Crossed Swords 2, but that's obviously not likely to happen.
_________________
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 1240
Location: Canada
stryc9 wrote:
The display options, while obviously not quite M2 tier, are more than good enough to make the games look great on a flat panel. Pity the blur filter is tied to the scanline option, it's a bit too aggressive - the option of dialling it back a few degrees would be nice. .


That's heart breaking because I was actually considering picking up a number of the classics to add to my Library of Digital games. The scanline option would have given me the go ahead with the purchases... but hearing that there are blur filters tied to it is a huge turn off.

Still considering it though.... maybe if they go on sale at some point.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
A couple of AA games do have sharp and soft filters to go with the scanlines, but only a handful of games have it. Star Force is one of them, if I remember correctly.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 1240
Location: Canada
BrianC wrote:
A couple of AA games do have sharp and soft filters to go with the scanlines, but only a handful of games have it. Star Force is one of them, if I remember correctly.


My interest are the NeoGeo Fighters.

Mainly Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown games. I'm also trying to figure out which KOF 97 to get. Code Mystic's Global Match or Hamster's ACA NeoGeo release.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:15 pm 



Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 905
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Shelcoof wrote:
stryc9 wrote:
The display options, while obviously not quite M2 tier, are more than good enough to make the games look great on a flat panel. Pity the blur filter is tied to the scanline option, it's a bit too aggressive - the option of dialling it back a few degrees would be nice. .


That's heart breaking because I was actually considering picking up a number of the classics to add to my Library of Digital games. The scanline option would have given me the go ahead with the purchases... but hearing that there are blur filters tied to it is a huge turn off.

Still considering it though.... maybe if they go on sale at some point.


I wouldn't worry too much, they look great as it is anyway. I'm fairly fussy about presentation with 240p graphics and I'm very happy with the end result.
_________________
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 1240
Location: Canada
stryc9 wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

That's heart breaking because I was actually considering picking up a number of the classics to add to my Library of Digital games. The scanline option would have given me the go ahead with the purchases... but hearing that there are blur filters tied to it is a huge turn off.

Still considering it though.... maybe if they go on sale at some point.


I wouldn't worry too much, they look great as it is anyway. I'm fairly fussy about presentation with 240p graphics and I'm very happy with the end result.


Which games do you own? Any feedback on any titles you picked up?

Currently don't own any of the ACA titles just the PS2 Fatal Furty Battle Archives Vol 2 on PS4 and Samurai Shodown V Special. Samurai Shodown V Special was well done. Loved the scanline options. In terms of accuracy of the port compared to the original MVS I wouldn't know.

On XBone I have previous ports on the 360 of Samurai Shodown II and Garou. I've never played Garou in Arcades but it plays very similarly to the PS2 port. I use to own AES Samurai Shodown II and 360 version felt spot on compared to it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:17 pm 



Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 905
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Shelcoof wrote:
stryc9 wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

That's heart breaking because I was actually considering picking up a number of the classics to add to my Library of Digital games. The scanline option would have given me the go ahead with the purchases... but hearing that there are blur filters tied to it is a huge turn off.

Still considering it though.... maybe if they go on sale at some point.


I wouldn't worry too much, they look great as it is anyway. I'm fairly fussy about presentation with 240p graphics and I'm very happy with the end result.


Which games do you own? Any feedback on any titles you picked up?

Currently don't own any of the ACA titles just the PS2 Fatal Furty Battle Archives Vol 2 on PS4 and Samurai Shodown V Special. Samurai Shodown V Special was well done. Loved the scanline options. In terms of accuracy of the port compared to the original MVS I wouldn't know.

On XBone I have previous ports on the 360 of Samurai Shodown II and Garou. I've never played Garou in Arcades but it plays very similarly to the PS2 port. I use to own AES Samurai Shodown II and 360 version felt spot on compared to it.


I picked up Pulstar, Blazing Star, Zed Blade, Last resort, Sengoku 2 and 3 and Mutation Nation. Unfortunately no fighters as I've retired my interest in them (and I have a shitload of the Neo Geo Online Collection releases on PS2). I'm no expert on any of the games, but Last Resort and Mutation Nation both look/sound/feel identical to the AES/MVS versions I've played in the past at least.

The rest I've never seen outside of ancient MAME builds, but they appear to be doing what they're supposed to :) I'm on PS4 btw.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say these Hamster releases are probably going to be tighter than most of what's been ported in the past - given the erratic quality of the NG Online collections (World Heroes Gorgeous failed to emulate the line-scroll floors for example, inconsistent video options across the series - SS Rokuban Shobu and ADK Damashi had awful blurry filters you were powerless to change etc.)
_________________
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 1240
Location: Canada
True some of the neogeo ports we're really inconsistent on the PS2 But some were pretty amazing like Fatal Fatal Battle Archive.

The worst offender was SNK classics vol 1. The emulation and graphics were terrible on that one.

The worst I noticed about the other ports were the filters. Some games didn't play exactly like the MVS like the Last blade compilation but most played pretty close to it.

I wouldnt know or remember since the last time I played them was at the arcades ages ago or on the AES when I use to own one.

Basing this based on PC emulation really.

Actually I've been on the hunt to collect as many NeoGeo ports as possible on the PS2. I don't know why but I'm at a phase now where I'm eating up and buying compilation games.

I've skipped out on the most expensive ports that were badly done. I just got Fuun Super Combo in.... at least that one didn't have any filters.

The one compilation that hurt me most was Samurai Showdown Anthology as that one has filters :(

Even though I have these games on PS2 I want them on my current gen system. I think im just crazy lol


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 2192
Location: Wigan, England.
Ikari Warriors has appeared in the Switch shop. They have added a twin-stick option, which has improved the game no end, I remember being incredibly frustrated with the PSmini version simply because shoulder buttons were no substitute for the rotary stick.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 1883
Location: Minnesota, USA
Yes Ikari Warriors is nice. I never got into the sequels, but this one I like. Always loved the mass grenades and explosion chain reactions.

I picked up the PS4 version. The SNK 40th Collection is getting a disc release next week so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
_________________
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm 



Joined: 30 Oct 2018
Posts: 35
Do any of these on Switch have online play besides high score boards?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
Cannonballs wrote:
Do any of these on Switch have online play besides high score boards?


No, but many of these collections on PS4 also lack online. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary on all platforms and the Switch online NES games both have online play. I can't vouch for the quality of it since I haven't tried it, though. Still bummed at Capcom's stupidity regarding the JP ROMs for the SF 30th Anniversary collection (Capcom accidentally made them available for the Steam version and then acted like they were doing people a favor by taking them away).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 1883
Location: Minnesota, USA
Jeneki wrote:
Yes Ikari Warriors is nice. I never got into the sequels, but this one I like. Always loved the mass grenades and explosion chain reactions.

I picked up the PS4 version. The SNK 40th Collection is getting a disc release next week so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.


Update on this: After getting the SNK 40th Collection disc, I will be sticking to Arcade Archives for Ikari Warriors. Better screen options (PS4 40th Collection doesn't even have tate), more control options (dual stick and rotate button options), and online leaderboards on AA. I don't regret picking up the 40th disc though, as there are plenty of other games to play.
_________________
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
SNK 40th only has tate in handheld mode on the Switch version. They even went as far as blocking the option out when the game is played in console mode.

Are you saying the PS4 version doesn't have dual stick controls? That's not the case with the switch version and I would be surprised if it was the case with PS4.

edit: I checked both Switch versions of Ikari. Arcade Archives has two main control options (twin stick and console style aiming with a lock button) and the option for seperate rotate buttons. SNK Anniversary doesn't have these, but does allow you to map the right stick's aiming functions to buttons.


Last edited by BrianC on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Posts: 1240
Location: Canada
I ordered SNK's 40th Anniversary Collection and am waiting for it to arrive in a few days. I actually went to our Local EB and they didn't even have it in stock.

Originally I was going to pass on the collection but Time Soldiers was what did it for me. I loved that game on the SMS when I was a kid and I played it a few times at the Arcades and convenient store as well.

Looking to relive those memories!!

Anyone else have any impressions of the collection on PS4?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm 



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 772
Time Soldiers arcade blew me away back in 1987. At that point, I was only casually interested in video games, renting a NES from a video store once in a while.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:35 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 1883
Location: Minnesota, USA
Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.
_________________
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
Jeneki wrote:
Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.


It's a rotary stick game. I have seen one at Crab Towne.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5529
Location: Ari-Freaking-Zona!
Jeneki wrote:
Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.


It doesn't have the option to map rotation to the shoulder buttons? That's how I usually play any emulated game that uses a rotary joystick.
_________________
"Again, I can't be mad at you because your thought process has been hijacked by a mind virus." -Quash, Feb 9, 2018.

Trump 2020!
20 years for collusion,
20 for obstruction!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:54 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7014
Location: MD
Specineff wrote:
Jeneki wrote:
Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.


It doesn't have the option to map rotation to the shoulder buttons? That's how I usually play any emulated game that uses a rotary joystick.


Not as far as I can tell, but I noticed that the aiming allows for more than 8 directions.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], kitten and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group