Okami HD - Aspect Ratio Questions

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
evil_ash_xero

Okami HD - Aspect Ratio Questions

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I posted this in GameFAQs, but I don't think there's enough anal eggheads there. So, I've come here! :lol:

Before I post the link, the main question here is does Okami HD have the correct aspect ratio? There is a Digital Foundry vid, and it shows very clearly that there is a difference between it and the PS3 remaster.
Question is, which is more true to the original PS2 version? Did the PS3 version stretch it out, or did this one just make it taller?
This is pretty important, because whichever one fudged it up, I'm getting rid of.

Also, the PS3 version is pretty great, if you play it on 720, as I have screen tearing in 1080. Does anyone know if the frame rate drops much in that?
The ghosting in the new ports is overdone (or is it more accurate????), so I have it on PC, and just modded the thing.

But if the aspect ratio is wrong, then screw it.

Any Okami fans here know the scoop?

Here's the Digital Foundry vid, and the comparison is at 8:42. Help me unravel this mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L54LbYdzlU

And I will bump this well into 2020, until someone figures this out. :twisted:
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Okami HD - Aspect Ratio Questions

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Unfortunately I do not know the game well enough to be able to help you here. But based on this it looks like it was originally conceived for the PS2 in a 4:3 aspect ratio: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/does- ... 126763706/ I've also found other word that the PS2 has an "LCD Mode" toggle that sets it to Widescreen as well as does a few other things to make it display better on an LCD TV compared to a CRT.

However, I do know that it has a fairly free 3D camera, so the aspect ratio doesn't affect it too terribly much in terms of visibility issues regardless of which version you play, and even with a little stretching it probably still looks quite decent. At least, not compared to Capcom's Resident Evil HD remakes that added a totally unnecessary Widescreen mode to the game. There are several camera angles where they are zoomed in to fill the screen in Widescreen, and depending on where you move, the camera pans up and down. This is a definite Bad Thing on several camera angles where, in the original GameCube release, they were designed around the entire camera angle being visible. The stairs down into the crypt where you use the arrowhead being the best example - in Widescreen the camera panning is shit and you can't see if there are zombies at the top of the stairs until you are literally at the top of the stairs in range of them.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Interesting.
I'm just trying to figure out which HD port is more true to the original.

Let's keep the discussion going.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Does this shed any light on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEFa9Ek2SPc

I can't find a PS4 side by side comparison with the PS2 version.