Jaguar Soccer Kid vs. GBA Soccer Kid...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Nah, I think Mr.Nutz is closer to Sonic than anything else on Amiga..

And if we are talking only about speed, someone should check out a game called Tearaway Thomas. It's the fastest platform game on Amiga I ever played.

Hey, there's no Super Turrican for Amiga mate, just to clear up... and Ruff 'n' Tumble is better than any Turrican game! (Good thing I am not in an amiga board, people would kill me now :D)

And.. well, ok,I can understand why you say Ruff 'n' Tumble is more run 'n' gun game than a platform game, but tell me

http://hol.abime.net/1292/screenshot

Isn't this as cute as a run 'n' game can get? :D

And no one talked about James Pond 2:Codename Robocod ..... I think this is among the top platform games on Amiga too...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Besides you being an Amiga heretic :o :wink: I think the reason why these games have somehow less appeal to an amiga owner is this: Mr.Nutz and Ruff 'n Tumble were released at the very end of the amiga lifecycle.

(yes, I know there are guys out there with an amiga4000 and they still use it in every way possible, but you know what I mean - the death of the platform as a commercial gaming machine)

Therefore, these games are greatly appreciated by the one who tries them via emulator now, because, well, they squeeze the most from the amiga in terms of hardware. I still own the magazines which reviewed Nutz, Benefactor and Ruff here in Italy... The first two appeared in may '94, the latter in november of the same year.

Those issues are a sad memory for Amiga users... PC was getting its definitive surpass. It already had got Rebel Assault, Doom and Ultima VIII, Doom II was near. Lucasarts was out of the amiga since Fate of Atlantis. Frankly, in 1994 we were all watching around ourselves to find an alternative. I personally found it in consoles, which seemed to continue the path of great action games I enjoyed on the amiga.

That's the real difference between Turrican II and Ruff, if you want... Amiga users loved every pixel of the former and praised it every day of their sweetest gaming years, while the latter remains an incredible tech show that just an hardcore bunch of true believers really got to see / appreciate.

I'm saying Turrican II and not 1, as the first one was still a big C64 thing. Sure, the amiga has been out for years before Turrican II, and there are incredible games users might have even fondest memories of: from Defendef of the Crown to Dungeon Master... But not many oustanding action games before Turrican on the Ami.

So you see, Turrican II sums the greatest moments of our story with this awesome girfriend we had, while Ruff is just the sweet (but bitter) last kiss before she dumped us (or we dumped her).
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

In other words, Turrican and Turrican II were the absolute best in a time when those kind of games were really the most anticipated thing there could possibly be.

Nutz and Ruff were awesome... In an "Adventures of Lomax" way: Very well crafted but outrageously out of time. Had the amiga (let's say the AGA) got a Doom port in 1994, no matter how rushed, instead of another couple of awesome platformers, history might be different now.

But, sheesh, I digress. What I really wanted to post here is:

according to the Telegames webpage http://www.telegames.com/

There should be soon a Soccer Kid port for playstation... Of course, it rests to see if it's just a Snes rom on a cd, or if it takes features from the Amiga version (which I doubt).
X - P - B
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Shatterhand wrote:And.. well, ok,I can understand why you say Ruff 'n' Tumble is more run 'n' gun game than a platform game, but tell me

http://hol.abime.net/1292/screenshot

Isn't this as cute as a run 'n' game can get? :D
Yes, but “Cute” platform games don’t carry guns. ;)
Ruff N’ Tumble is about as cute as Gunstar Heroes & Metal Slug, both belonging in the Gun N’ Run Platform Shooter genre, rather than the “Cute” genre, like Mario, Sonic & Bonk.
And no one talked about James Pond 2:Codename Robocod ..... I think this is among the top platform games on Amiga too...
I totally forgot about Robocod. That’s one of the better cute platform games on the Amiga. Its awesome rainbow copper backgrounds are only matched by those seen in Turrican II.
What I didn’t enjoy in Robocod however, is the fact that gameplay was centered in collecting the penguins, rather than exploration like in Sonic or Turrican.
It was much better than James Pond & its disappointing sequel Operation Star Fish.
Nah, I think Mr.Nutz is closer to Sonic than anything else on Amiga..
Mr. Nutz shares elements from Sonic, Super Mario Mario & Zelda so I wouldn’t say it’s the closest to Sonic.
Where as Zool 2 is very heavily based on the Sonic speed mechanics & level layout.

No one can deny however, that Turrican is to the AMIGA what Sonic & Mario are to SEGA & Nintendo respectively.
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Turrican wrote: But, sheesh, I digress. What I really wanted to post here is:

There should be soon a Soccer Kid port for playstation... Of course, it rests to see if it's just a Snes rom on a cd, or if it takes features from the Amiga version (which I doubt).
At the site you linked it says:
Soccer Kid TM

MSRP $14.99
Available Soon

An enhanced, home-based version

of the Game Boy Advance hit.
They still produce games for the PS-1?!! :shock:
That's amazing!

The screen-shots are very similar to the A1200 AGA version however.

ImageImageImage

Least to say, that my favorite stage in the original A500 version, was Italy with Pavaroty as the End level Boss!
;)

Telegames also published Raiden for the Lynx.
I didn’t know that.

ImageImage

Also, when was worms released for the Jaguar?

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ST Dragon wrote:

Soccer Kid TM

MSRP $14.99
Available Soon

That's amazing!

ImageImageImage

Least to say, that my favorite stage in the original A500 version, was Italy with Pavaroty as the End level Boss!
;)
You know those screen shots are actually from the GBA version with the "horrid resoultion"? http://www.telegames.com/soccerkid.htm

Here are some videos of the GBA version of Soccer Kid
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Yes you're right... it's that horrible 240x160 GBA resolution.
But it's using 256 colours like the AGA version.

Thunder Force V
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

BrianC wrote:
ST Dragon wrote:

Soccer Kid TM

MSRP $14.99
Available Soon

That's amazing!

ImageImageImage

;)
You know those screen shots are actually from the GBA version with the "horrid resoultion"? http://www.telegames.com/soccerkid.htm

Here are some videos of the GBA version of Soccer Kid
Yeah, those are screenshots from the GBA version. I've seen that cover art for PS1 Soccer Kid, but I cannot find a release date for it anywhere-oh well, it's probably only coming in PAL format anyway.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Never the less, I would love to add Soccer Kid to my PSX collection.
I doubt they would release it here in Greece though.
:(

@Turrican
By the Turrican, was the AMIGA scene in Italy as strong as it was in Greece back in the day?
Here in Athens it was almost a religion!
I still have my good old A1200, my trusty Commodore 1084S monitor & around 400 working AMIGA disks!
;)

In which city of Italy do you live by the way?

It’s always great meeting other AMIGA veterans!

Thunder Force V
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ST Dragon wrote:Never the less, I would love to add Soccer Kid to my PSX collection.
I doubt they would release it here in Greece though.
:(

@Turrican
By the Turrican, was the AMIGA scene in Italy as strong as it was in Greece back in the day?
Here in Athens it was almost a religion!
I still have my good old A1200, my trusty Commodore 1084S monitor & around 400 working AMIGA disks!
;)

In which city of Italy do you live by the way?

It’s always great meeting other AMIGA veterans!
I found the official PS1 Soccer Kid site here:

http://psx.gamezone.com/topframe/extlin ... id_psx.htm

The price is in US$! :D Nice, I can't wait! :D

So how is Fire and Ice on the SMS? I've read that the Amiga is more popular over in Europe. I wouldn't mind getting one, but a full Amiga A1200, complete with monitor, might cost quite a bit! I found a website once, in Germany, that has new A1200s, but they're probably PAL.
Farewell to hollow words
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Argh, lotsa questions

@Saint Dragon: Of course, Amiga was the most popular 16bit here: this, let's say until 1993 or so, when the competition (mostly from Snes) became fierce. Sure, it's a fact that much of its popularity was due to epidemic piracy situation. Then again, that means little. Unlike the USA, the real defining 8bit in europe was C64, and that too had rampant piracy.

However, we had an italian version of the magazine CVG and in the years '91-'92 it had more often amiga games on cover than else ^_^

I live 40 or so kms from here, btw:

@dave4shmups: err, didn't you notice that Telegames is based in Texas? This means that an US release is more likely than a PAL one.

Fire & Ice SMS is kind of a mixed bag... It's nice to see how much they were able to translate onto it, but it obviously cannot match the original, and even as a platformer it ranks below other SMS games: Sonic, Lucky Dime, Deep Duck Trouble, Asterix, Mickey Mouse games...

However, if you want an amiga badly, perhaps a 500 or a CD32 would be better choices... 500 ensures the greatest compatibility even with older games, CD32 has a good library of software from the late period and being on cd media is safer and more comfortable to purchase...
X - P - B
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Turrican wrote:Argh, lotsa questions

@Saint Dragon: Of course, Amiga was the most popular 16bit here: this, let's say until 1993 or so, when the competition (mostly from Snes) became fierce. Sure, it's a fact that much of its popularity was due to epidemic piracy situation. Then again, that means little. Unlike the USA, the real defining 8bit in europe was C64, and that too had rampant piracy.

However, we had an italian version of the magazine CVG and in the years '91-'92 it had more often amiga games on cover than else ^_^

@dave4shmups: err, didn't you notice that Telegames is based in Texas? This means that an US release is more likely than a PAL one.

Fire & Ice SMS is kind of a mixed bag... It's nice to see how much they were able to translate onto it, but it obviously cannot match the original, and even as a platformer it ranks below other SMS games: Sonic, Lucky Dime, Deep Duck Trouble, Asterix, Mickey Mouse games...

However, if you want an amiga badly, perhaps a 500 or a CD32 would be better choices... 500 ensures the greatest compatibility even with older games, CD32 has a good library of software from the late period and being on cd media is safer and more comfortable to purchase...
Thanks for answering all those questions Turrican! :D I've thought about getting a CD32 before, but in a thread where FRO asked about it, I got the impression that the NTSC CD32 doesn't play games correctly, and, of course, the PAL one wouldn't be compatible with an American TV-so I'm kind of at a loss on what to do, because I am still interested in the system.

I didn't know that Telegames was based in Texas, but I wouldn't totally rule out a European release, as, IIRC, Telegames also has a UK branch.
Farewell to hollow words
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Turrican wrote:Argh, lotsa questions

You live close to Florence / Piza. ;)
I haven't completed CastleVania Bloodlines, so I didn't know that Piza-at night, was actually one of the levels. ;)

My Mom has been to Florence & she told me that it's a magnificent city, with awesome architecture & art, superior to that of Rome.
I've only been to Rome & would love to see Venice & Florence one day.

By the way, is Florence surrounded by medieval castle Walls or 17th century star shaped bastions like Venice was?

The best examples of 17th century, Italian bastion / star shaped fortifications I’ve seen, are the walled cities of Chania (Candia) & Heraklion, on the Greek Island of Crete.
It was a Venetian colony until the late 17th century.
So I was wondering if that type of fortification was also used in Florence?
The rest of the castles in Greece are either Byzantine or Frankish however.
Last edited by ST Dragon on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder Force V
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Hey Turrican, I agree why Turrican 2 is regarded as the greatest amiga game and all, bu I played Ruff 'n' Tumble, Benefactor and all those "late" games in my own A600 back when they were new! (Actuall, truly late hat worked on my amiga were Damage, Fighint' Spirit, Pinball Prelude, Sensible World of Soccer 97, Super Skidmarks, Total Football, Five-a-side Soccer ... all those games were released REALLY in the end, between 96-98 )

I had my A600 from 92 up until 98. I never saw the amiga actually "dying" , as I never eve saw it "being born", as the amiga was never as popular as it was in Europe (or as the MSX used to be popular, though many MSX users went to Amiga). When I bought my Amiga, I think I had around 4 friend who had one. In 96 I had more friends with Amigas than in 92 for sure... but in 98 I was the only one still using one, so after thinking about it a lot, I ended up buying a PC (I was saving to buy an A4000 ...)

Ruff 'n' Tumble was released in the end of 94, so platform games were still popular...

But I agree, somebody should had released Doom.. (And not another FPS.. it HAD TO BE DOOM), and make everyone upgrade their amigas so we could play it. I think it would be the perfect solution... I still don't know how the PC market worked so well in releasing games that required a PC upgrade, while amiga users were always closed to the "ECS chip - 1mb" range (Or the AGA chip - 2mb range when talking about the A1200).

People say Alien Breed 3D 2: The Killing Grounds (Which needs a very beefed up amiga to run) is better than Quake that came a few monhts later (Even in the graphical deparmente), but then it was already too late for the Amiga ...

And for James Pond 2 - The penguins aren't in all levels, and when the level has penguins, they usually are very easy to find. The game is about platform perfection and finding secret rooms... this game is FULL of secret rooms and secret bonuts.

I also think the original James Pond was an amazing game - it was original, it played superbly and it was lots of fum.

James Pond is the most underrated game mascot ever! :D

Even though I had the pirated copies in Amiga, I also had James Pond, James Pond 2 and The Aquatic Games original for the Mega-Drive too. The only JP game I didn't had was James Pond 3, because I never found it here in Brazil. (But I agree, I think it's the weakest game in the series)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Shatterhand wrote:Hey Turrican, I agree why Turrican 2 is regarded as the greatest amiga game and all, bu I played Ruff 'n' Tumble, Benefactor and all those "late" games in my own A600 back when they were new! (Actuall, truly late hat worked on my amiga were Damage, Fighint' Spirit, Pinball Prelude, Sensible World of Soccer 97, Super Skidmarks, Total Football, Five-a-side Soccer ... all those games were released REALLY in the end, between 96-98 )
Commendable. I often thought myself which should be considered the Last Great Amiga Game... Not in a chronological sense (I repeat myself, but probably some A4000 harcore nut would tell us that the last great he played was released yesterday), but in the sense of the game that really closed an era... I think for ECS at least, it would probably be Sensible World of Soccer. Nothing released later had a similar impact, the scale of an AAA title.
Shatterhand wrote:I had my A600 from 92 up until 98. I never saw the amiga actually "dying" , as I never eve saw it "being born", as the amiga was never as popular as it was in Europe
Hey, what happened to your 600? Technically speaking, I still own my 500, alive and kicking... I should really plug it somewhere to try some neat stuff I bought lately.... damn, I lack space. But yeah, I understand our different stances better now. As an european I left Commodore earlier than you, maybe that's why you feel more for Nutz: I imagine you playing it non-stop until 1998... That's something cool. Sorta like we (EU & Brazil) continued to love SMS long after it was dead and forgotten in the US.
Shatterhand wrote:Ruff 'n' Tumble was released in the end of 94, so platform games were still popular...
Yeah, but just barely... some months later came Yoshi's Island and that was really the end, at least on a spiritual level. The last big sale was seen previously, with DKC. Some other titles, like Rayman or Lomax, tried to bring the formula on the next-gen systems, but we all know that the real seller of that generation were others. It says a lot that even great sellers like Shiny's EW Jim didn't get a proper "episode 3", and that things like Skullmonkeys were largely ignored...
X - P - B
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

So what's the deal with the CD32? It seems as though neither version (NTSC or PAL) works well over here. :?:

And BTW, I was referring to this thread:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... light=cd32
Farewell to hollow words
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

My A600 stopped working in 98... 3 months later I bought the PC..

A shame, I looked for many technicians here, but no one knows how to fix it (Even people who were specialized in Amigas)...

In January my house was infected by insects (you know, that kind that eats wood... I don't know the name in english), and they just ate the inside of my A600 (They also ate a lot of other stuff I liked, like a chess game made of wood that my father gave to me years ago..) After dropping a few tears for it, I just threw it away...

I don't have the money right now, but as I'll probably get a new job next month (New year, new job :) ), I really am looking forward in buying another amiga system. I still have all my disks (I wonder if they are still working). I don't want an A4000 or stuff, an A1200 or even just an A500-600 would be fine for me :)

And yeah, SWOS maybe closed the ECS era indeed.... there were some GREAT games after that (Fightin' Spirit for example), but nothing had the same impact of SWOS indeed. (The CHaos Engine 2 maybe was as expected as SWOS, but that turned out to be a big disapointment).

Word on Skullmonkeys... that game is awesome!
nZero

Post by nZero »

Shatterhand wrote:In January my house was infected by insects (you know, that kind that eats wood... I don't know the name in english)
You probably mean Termites. At least, that's what it sounds like. What do you guys call them?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

What's the difference between the A4000 and the A4000T?

At any rate, I posted my hardware questions (wrote earlier in this thread) about the Amiga CD32 at www.classicamiga.com , but if anyone here knows, it would certainly be a big help.
Farewell to hollow words
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

We call "Cupim" , but I am sure it's a different word in english :)
Marc

Post by Marc »

And yeah, SWOS maybe closed the ECS era indeed.... there were some GREAT games after that (Fightin' Spirit for example), but nothing had the same impact of SWOS indeed. (The CHaos Engine 2 maybe was as expected as SWOS, but that turned out to be a big disapointment).
You got that right. Chaos Engine 1 is probably one of my favorite games ever. I lost touch with the Amiga towards the end and didn't know that the follow up had ever gotten released, I always thought it had been canned with the death of the machine. Hunted down a copy on teh Ebay when I found it had actually made it out, about two years ago, and really wish I hadn't bothered. Horrible, horrible, game. Quite how the Bitmap Bros (I presume it was still one of their games?) managed to screw this one up so badly is beyond me. Terrible visuals, poor sound (especially in comparison to the utterly fantastic soundtrack of the first game) and dull gameplay. Dunno where they were going with the split-screen idea - why mess with the near perfect two player mode of the CH1? Tragic.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Shatterhand wrote:We call "Cupim" , but I am sure it's a different word in english :)
Sheesh... what a creepy story!!! An amiga eaten by the inside... Gross. It reminds me of the sad end my beloved Gremio did... Sorry I just digress again. However, yeah, must be termites:

http://www.cupim.net/

[Edit:] Say, how is that they, umm, liked your 600? There shouldn't be any wood in there :?:

Dave4shmups, can't really answer your questions; as you red on the other topic, I never had a CD32 myself. However, I think you might find this link useful:

http://website.lineone.net/~cd32/
X - P - B
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

@Dave4shmups

I remember sending you some time ago, a detailed PM concerning your matter & some links about the CD-32.

Thunder Force V
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

If termites are cupins , then indeed it was termites.

Man, don't ask me. It wasn't the first time we were attacked by them, and those insects eat anything, many friends who saw that were also puzzled!. Maybe they don't exactly "eat" what's not made by wood, but they leave some substance on it that just destroy it (Maybe the crap made by all the wood eaten? :D)... I remember a specialist said they leave this thing on stuff they want to eat, so it becomes more "soft", easier for them to eat or something. Shame I never took pictures of this. It was not only the A600, they also destroyed 2 old 5 1/4 floppy drives I had, some cardboard boxes, a few floppy disks.... not to mention nearly everything that was made by wood was destroyed in some way... (We basically lost all the mobilia in the living room).

The Chaos Engine 2 sucks. It was made by the regular Bitmap Brothers team indeed, and it's by far their worst game ever. Big shame...
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ST Dragon wrote:@Dave4shmups

I remember sending you some time ago, a detailed PM concerning your matter & some links about the CD-32.
I just PM'd you about that.

All I really need to know is whether or not a PAL CD32 will work on an American TV, because according to what circuitface said in that thread started by FRO, most CD32 games are PAL releaes, and they don't run well at all on an NTSC CD32.
Farewell to hollow words
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

ST Dragon wrote:Also, when was worms released for the Jaguar?

Quite awhile back. Judging by memory alone, I'd say it was around 1999.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

1999?
I thought the Jaguar was obsolete a lot earlier than that!

Thunder Force V
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I think it was before then. However, it was definitely released after the Jaguar had already died.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Well it is not a surprise.
I think Worms was released in every single console between 1994 - 2000.
Can't remember about the Genesis though.

Thunder Force V
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Well, I said I was going by memory alone. :D

It's tough to find gaming sites that aren't blocked by my work firewall, but this site indicates that Worms was released on the Jag in mid-1998. I was only off by half a year! :)
http://songbird-productions.com/jagdomain/worms.html