Jaguar Soccer Kid vs. GBA Soccer Kid...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

Jaguar Soccer Kid vs. GBA Soccer Kid...

Post by dave4shmups »

Are these two ports more or less the same? The videos of the GBA port that I watched on IGN were pretty impressive. At any rate, I'd like to know because the GBA one is certainly cheaper; Songbird Productions sells the Jag. port for $74.95! :shock:
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

I would stick to the original Amiga 500 version, or the enhanced A1200 version with the 128 on-screen colours, instead.

The GBA resolution of 240x160, just plain sucks & the non-existent dedicated sound hardware, does this game no justice really, considering that the AMIGA was a real music beast with its kick-ass audio hardware.

Soccer Kid for the Jag?
I thought only Zool 2 was released for it!
I doubt that its any better & definitely not worth the 75$ price tag!
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ST Dragon wrote:I would stick to the original Amiga 500 version, or the enhanced A1200 version with the 128 on-screen colours, instead.

The GBA resolution of 240x160, just plain sucks & the non-existent dedicated sound hardware, does this game no justice really, considering that the AMIGA was a real music beast with its kick-ass audio hardware.

Soccer Kid for the Jag?
I thought only Zool 2 was released for it!
I doubt that its any better & definitely not worth the 75$ price tag!
Yeah, this game also came out for the 3DO, but I have no plains to purchase either that or the Amiga. Other then the Amiga port, it seems like all ports of this game are more or less equal.
Farewell to hollow words
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Another nice, but under-appreciated platform-adventure game by Krisalis, is Arabian Nights.
It was released for the AMIGA 500 in 1993 & features some pretty interesting puzzles & secrets.

Soccer Kid is not the best cute platform game for the AMIGA however.
Mr. Nutz, which is completely different to the Genesis & SNES counter-parts and surpasses Soccer Kid in most aspects, as it borrows elements from Sonic, Mario & Zelda.

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
dementia

Post by dementia »

I really liked the 3DO port.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well, thanks for the input! :D I'll definately have to check out the SNES and Genesis ports of Mr. Nutz.
Farewell to hollow words
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Arabian Nights > Soccer Kid > Mr. Nutz

Arabian Nights is the most underrated platform game EVER!!!! ... Ok, maybe not "the most", but it's too damn underrated. This game is a gem that nearly no one knows.
Everyone grabs a copy of winuae and this game RIGHT NOW.

But everyone knows the best "cute" platform game on amiga is Ruff 'n' Tumble.

And Benefactor.. I dont know if it counts as a "cute" platorm, but it's the MOST UNDERRATED PLATFORM GAME EVER... again... :)

Damn, the Amiga is the most amazing game machine ever. Damn all your PS2s, Dreamcasts and SNESes, no one can beat the game library of the Amiga.

Dave, Mr. Nutz on the SNES and the Mega-Drive isn't all that good. The good version is the AMIGA one, which is completely different.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Shatterhand wrote:Arabian Nights > Soccer Kid > Mr. Nutz

Arabian Nights is the most underrated platform game EVER!!!! ... Ok, maybe not "the most", but it's too damn underrated. This game is a gem that nearly no one knows.
Everyone grabs a copy of winuae and this game RIGHT NOW.

And Benefactor.. I dont know if it counts as a "cute" platorm, but it's the MOST UNDERRATED PLATFORM GAME EVER... again... :)

Damn, the Amiga is the most amazing game machine ever. Damn all your PS2s, Dreamcasts and SNESes, no one can beat the game library of the Amiga.

Dave, Mr. Nutz on the SNES and the Mega-Drive isn't all that good. The good version is the AMIGA one, which is completely different.
I actually kind of liked the SNES port, although the GBC one stunk. Yeah, the Amiga does have one heck of an extensive game library!

At any rate, most Jaguar console owners must not have the CD unit; that's the only reason I can think of why Songbird Productions didn't do Soccer Kid for the Jaugar CD unit-games on CDs are, after all, less expensive to make.

EDIT: Interesting that Krisalis Software did both the Amiga AND the Jaguar ports of Soccer Kid. So the Jag. port must be pretty close to, if not spot-on, the Amiga one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/12927.html
Farewell to hollow words
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Shatterhand wrote:Mr. Nutz on the SNES and the Mega-Drive isn't all that good. The good version is the AMIGA one, which is completely different.
Does anyone know which version the relatively new GBA version of Mr. Nutz is based on? If it's the Amiga version, I'll buy it.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:Mr. Nutz on the SNES and the Mega-Drive isn't all that good. The good version is the AMIGA one, which is completely different.
Does anyone know which version the relatively new GBA version of Mr. Nutz is based on? If it's the Amiga version, I'll buy it.
AFIK, Mr. Nutz only came out on the Black+Whie Game Boy, and the Game Boy Color, not the GBA. I've played the GBC one, and it's not very good.

I was, however, quite impressed with the SNES port-it was done by Ocean, whom I think did the Amiga version as well, so I don't see how it could be that much different then the Amiga version.
Farewell to hollow words
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

dave4shmups wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:
AFIK, Mr. Nutz only came out on the Black+Whie Game Boy, and the Game Boy Color, not the GBA. I've played the GBC one, and it's not very good.

I was, however, quite impressed with the SNES port-it was done by Ocean, whom I think did the Amiga version as well, so I don't see how it could be that much different then the Amiga version.
Umm, Mr. Nutz did come out on GBA. Telling from the screens, it's probably based on the SNES version. http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/mrnu ... index.html
PsikyoFan

Post by PsikyoFan »

BrianC wrote: Umm, Mr. Nutz did come out on GBA. Telling from the screens, it's probably based on the SNES version. http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/mrnu ... index.html
It is, I know the guy who did the gfx for the GBA port (well, ripped them all from the SNES version in an ZSNES).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Though Arabian Nights was nice and all, the real King of platformers on Amiga is *without question* Andrew Braybrook's Fire and Ice.

http://www.nemmelheim.de/graftgold/index.html

No ninja ant or lucozade addict can compare.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:Though Arabian Nights was nice and all, the real King of platformers on Amiga is *without question* Andrew Braybrook's Fire and Ice.

http://www.nemmelheim.de/graftgold/index.html

No ninja ant or lucozade addict can compare.
Fire and Ice was ported to the PC and Master System too. The SMS version was only released in Brazil, though. Amiga one is probably the best, but the PC shareware version was pretty good, from what I tried.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Amiga Mr.Nutz was published by Ocean but developed by Neon. I think who developed the console version were a different team (That's why the Amiga game is completley different from the others)

Fire and Ice is nice, but no match to the Lucozade Addict. Super Frog was better than Fire and Ice IMO. Now Zool was overrated. Zool 2 was cool, but still overrated. - I don't know why Gremlin tried to sell Zool as the "Sonic Beater", as the game isn't all that similar to Sonic (except for having a mascot), it was very unimpressive technically (No background, no music, slowdown everywhere) and it wasn't all that good either (But like I said, Zool 2 was waaay better).

Ruff 'n' Tumble is better than all those anyway :)

Ruff 'n' Tumble > Arabian Nights > Soccer Kid > Super Frog > Fire 'n' Ice > Zool 2 > Zool

(And we are only scratching Amiga platform games :D)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:Fire and Ice was ported to the PC and Master System too. The SMS version was only released in Brazil, though. Amiga one is probably the best, but the PC shareware version was pretty good, from what I tried.
I know, I bought a loose cart of the SMS version from Brazil, actually. It was a commendable effort, but in the end it needed refinement in controls department and scrolling. The first PC release, from what I recall of it, was totally bland with few colors and such, but the one you're referring to is probably a later port closer to the amiga original.
Shatterhand wrote:Fire and Ice is nice, but no match to the Lucozade Addict. Super Frog was better than Fire and Ice IMO.
Maybe the closer competitor, but Fire & Ice was just more charming for its visual, like the unforgettable scottish stage... And Cool Coyote, was, err, cooler indeed.
Shatterhand wrote:Ruff 'n' Tumble is better than all those anyway :)
Mmm, yes, but if you count that one, you must count Turrican II and as everyone knows nothing compares to Turrican II (on amiga or everywhere else) ^_^
X - P - B
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I think I am the only guy in the whole world who prefers Turrican 3 to Turrican 2. :)

And Ruff 'n' Tumble is a cute platform, while Turrican 2 isn't.. :)

And

Ruff 'n' Tumble > Turrican 3 > Turrican 2

(In this post alone I commited around 63 sins among the Amiga Religion :D )
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Shatterhand wrote:I think I am the only guy in the whole world who prefers Turrican 3 to Turrican 2. :)
Yes you are. :D
Marc

Post by Marc »

Damn, you beat me to it :D
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Actually, that's NOT TRUE.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=2 ... t+turrican

THere are at least 2 other guys in the WHOLE WORLD who also prefer Turrican 3....

:)
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

Shatterhand wrote: I don't know why Gremlin tried to sell Zool as the "Sonic Beater", as the game isn't all that similar to Sonic (except for having a mascot), it was very unimpressive technically (No background, no music, slowdown everywhere)
Which version did you play? The amiga one had pretty ace music (as with all gremlin games) however the rolling demo released a few months earlier had excellent music which was changed and wasnt as good in the final game
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Zool had the option to play ONLY with music or ONLY with Sounds Effects.

At least my copy of Zool was like that. I would always choose sound effects.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Shatterhand wrote:Zool had the option to play ONLY with music or ONLY with Sounds Effects.

At least my copy of Zool was like that. I would always choose sound effects.
I gave Zool 2 a go on a Jaguar emulator, and really loved it! :D Very nice mix of platforming action and shooting, IMO. I'll have to try the first one out some time.
Farewell to hollow words
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Zool 2 on the Jag is fun. It's got nothing on Sonic, but it's a solid platformer. The one thing that kills it for me is that Up on the D-pad makes you jump...but there's also a normal jump button. So I find myself jumping at all sorts of inopportune times.

But the soundtrack is fantastic. The Egypt level has one of my alltime favorite game BGMs.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Well, I said it before, Zool 2 is a pretty good game. Not fantastic, but very solid indeed.

The 1st one which isn't all that good.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, Zool 2 is definitely the better game in the series although both games feel very repetitive to me for some reason.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Maybe because they indeed are :)

Zool 2 is too damn long too.

I think that's also why I prefer Turrican 3 to Turrican 2...

I really prefer games which are more "closed", with short, linear levels.. secret passages are good, but when you start have dozens of different paths, my interest in the game fades... I always feel like I have too much to do, and that I am always losing something from the game

I think that's why I also prefer Sonic than Mario (Except in the 3D instalments :D), and maybe why I prefer old-school shmups over the more modern ones...

In general, I prefer short bursts of lots of action than something too big... I prefer mastering a level than exploring a level :D

Both Zool games have some big open levels. Certain LEVELS (not WORLDS) can take along around 10 minutes to be fully explored (even more maybe, I can't reacall properly). There are 6 worlds with 3 levels, bosses, loading times and NO passwords or save states....
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Shatterhand wrote:Maybe because they indeed are :)

Zool 2 is too damn long too.

I think that's also why I prefer Turrican 3 to Turrican 2...

I really prefer games which are more "closed", with short, linear levels.. secret passages are good, but when you start have dozens of different paths, my interest in the game fades... I always feel like I have too much to do, and that I am always losing something from the game

I think that's why I also prefer Sonic than Mario (Except in the 3D instalments :D), and maybe why I prefer old-school shmups over the more modern ones...

In general, I prefer short bursts of lots of action than something too big... I prefer mastering a level than exploring a level :D

Both Zool games have some big open levels. Certain LEVELS (not WORLDS) can take along around 10 minutes to be fully explored (even more maybe, I can't reacall properly). There are 6 worlds with 3 levels, bosses, loading times and NO passwords or save states....
Have you ever played Super Turrican 2 on the SNES? That one looks absolutely amazing!

I wish Factor 5 would do a next-gen Turrican-give background graphics like what Konami did for Contra Shattered Soldier-or even give it the Metriod Prime treatment.
Farewell to hollow words
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Yes, I've played Super Turrican 2, and I felt it was the worst in the whole series. It's a good game, but in adding all those graphics and stuff, the game lost a lot of its charm and appeal.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE Turrican 2, for me Turrican 3 is better for just a small notch...

For me, the series goes like that:

Turrican 3 > Turrican 2 > Super Turrican > Turrican > Super Turrican 2
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Shatterhand wrote: Damn, the Amiga is the most amazing game machine ever. Damn all your PS2s, Dreamcasts and SNESes, no one can beat the game library of the Amiga.
I’ll definitely double on that!
Benefactor was released towards the end of the AMIGA era, so that's why it’s somewhat overlooked, but I'll agree with you that it's an amazing platform/puzzle game.

Code: Select all

I think I am the only guy in the whole world who prefers Turrican 3 to Turrican 2.
You probably are! ;)
I wouldn’t compare Ruff 'n' Tumble to the other “Cute” platform games like Soccer Kid, Zool, etc, as it’s more of a Run N’ Gun platform shooter like Metal Slug, Gunstar Heroes, Gunner’s Heaven, etc.
In that sense it should be more accurately compared to the Turrican Series.

Any way, my Amiga “Cute” platform order goes like this:

1.Mr. Nutz
2.Soccer Kid
3.Super Frog
4.Fire 'n' Ice
5.Arabian Nights
6.Zool 2
7.Zool

And for platform shooters:

1.Turrican 2
2.Turrican
3.Turrican 3 / Mega Turrican
4.Super Turrican
5.Super Turrican 2
6.Ruff 'n' Tumble

Zool 2 is probably the closest the AMIGA ever got in creating a “Sonic beater” (definition used back then)
It offered far more variations in gameplay & level design than Zool 1, but it was missing that small touch, which would place it ahead from its competitors.

There were some talks about Zool 3 being produced for the CD-32, but it was scrapped!

Thunder Force V