Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:19 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle / Belt Action Collection
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am 

Jonny2x4 wrote:
The Steam version was the Iron Galaxy version.

Aye, different to both the ps3 versions then. I already own it on steam, but can't play it due to some technical issue.

Might import the ps3 version.
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:28 pm 

Couple of my local arcades here in Wigan had Splatterhouse. Was pretty popular as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 am 

Can anyone confirm (or find information) that the Asian/Japanese physical release will be a disc and not a digital code?
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:25 pm 

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Capcom has done physical versions for almost all of their games for the Japanese market, even stuff that was digital only in the west like Strider 2014 and The (good) D&D Collection. At least the e-Capcom page shows physical cases for the PS4 and NS versions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:11 pm 

Screen size options and filters coming in a November update!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... next_month

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:32 am 

Marc wrote:
I'd like the physical version, but the entire point of the Switch for me is just to have everything there when I fire it up, no dicking about with media, so I'm a bit torn.

In order of difficulty, where's the best place to start here for a belt-scrolling scrub?

Alien vs. Predator (especially if you start with Predator Warrior) & The Punisher aren't bad. The grenade in Punisher is a good bail-out move. I wish Capcom could get the licenses back to bring these into the collection.

Captain Commando is not a good first one. The 2nd boss Shtrom Jr. has Belger's damn crossbow bolt attack. Sometimes the 1st boss Dolc will stonewall block you- either time to come in for a throw, or toss some lackeys towards him. I wouldn't start with a Konami one either- especially Turtles I/II.

AFXisatwin wrote:
Interesting strat. I'll have to remember that if I ever make it that far again. Here is a fairly impressive replay I found on youtube. This player has a different strat for getting gold bars. He does a desperation attack from far away. This trick would make it harder though, since each desperation attack takes a bit of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCTm2fldLI&t=2951s

Some good point-pressing at the last boss battle. Belger does jack while Haggar keeps clobbering minions that spawn from the left.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm 

Marc wrote:

In order of difficulty, where's the best place to start here for a belt-scrolling scrub?

Cadiilacs & Dinos with Mustapha Cairo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:51 pm 

Rules battle circuit is on this, that board got pricey

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:51 am 

"When your life can be taken in a split second, your commands must be taken even faster." - Old NAMCO™ Proverb Image Image

Image Image

How's the input lag / control response on this pack? PS4 ver, specifically. Wanna get my Powered Gear on, but Metal Slug XX's lethargic response burned me - returning to the ACA Slugs was like ditching a weighted vest. I swear to God and Jebus, if this one's poor, it'll be the last time I take a punt on anything not emulated by M2 or Hamster.

FOOKIN SWEAR MAN (`ω´メ)

ty ;3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:40 am 

According to Noodalls' tests on Twitter, PS4 Capcom Beat 'em Up collection has 8 frames of lag. According to the Steam forums, the PC version doesn't have the same issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:42 pm 

BrianC wrote:
8 frames of lag

Ta Brian, refunded the bastard. Holy smokes!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm 

just played this online with a guy who asked for a match on the Steam game chat.... Then later found out he is a Twitch streamer

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/683394757

I'm Cody... Noobish gameplay by both of us though, I lost 3 credits, he lost 17 lol

About input lag, on Offline mode I don't notice it, but there might be. If you play online mode though, even alone, it's noticeable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:57 pm 

3CC vs 17CC Sounds like an illustrative run nonetheless :mrgreen:

OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE OF POWER (`ω´メ)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:39 am 

BIL wrote:
BrianC wrote:
8 frames of lag

Ta Brian, refunded the bastard. Holy smokes!

AFAIK, only the PS4 version has that much lag. Not sure why that would be the case.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 am 

Can’t say I really notice any lag on the PS4 version offline, it’s very playable. I had a decent run through Final Fight the other day and it was fine. The Switch version feels a bit off to me with what I think is frame skipping but still runs ok for the most part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:19 pm 

I'm optimistically wondering if the patch addressed anything. Only direct claim I can find of the PS4 one being laggy is on the Steam community page, from October 2018 (patch was Nov).

---

Did a bit more scouring about, watched a few no-misses and decided to give this a go. It feels fine. Character movement and buttons in all games CPS/CPS2 seem more than sufficiently responsive.

Image Image

I'm a novice at beltscrolling, but I can't imagine whatever lag this adds being a signficant handicap. Moreover everything feels appropriately snappy, nothing like my current benchmark for bad PS4 lag Metal Slug XX. That one's pervasive drag makes me so miserable, I inevitably fire up an ACA Slug right after to wash out the memory. I'm hoping a dedicated gaming monitor might tighten it up a bit, I test all this stuff on my grandma's Maury TV.

I wonder how much talk of this pack's input lag is related strictly the online performance, which I fortunately have zero interest in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:05 pm 

Ya, tried the online mode and it does feel fairly wonky. Would be cool if somebody could test to make sure it really is 8 frames of lag offline on ps4 because I doubt that for some reason. Call it a hunch I dunno.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:02 pm 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 This is where I saw Noodalls' test results for the PS4 Capcom Beat 'em Up collection, which I am 100% certain aren't for online, though the way he refers it as both "Final Fight" and "Final Fighter" is confusing.

Edit: Actual twitter post was from September 2018, so old....and the results were never updated.....ugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:45 pm 

Ta Brian, those are the ones I saw too.

Image Image

I'm gonna say I'm ok with this pack for now. Counter-punching Andores feels alright, that's a good enough starting point for me. Will update if I see any more data/commentary on the PS4's offline.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:55 pm 

Still glad I went with the PC version, especially since I'm in the process of buying a more powerful computer (desktop), though it actually runs smooth as silk on my laptop with the outdated Nvidia 240m video card.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 pm 

BIL wrote:
3CC vs 17CC Sounds like an illustrative run nonetheless :mrgreen:

OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE OF POWER (`ω´メ)

always fucking loved that track title!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:07 pm 

Me too, ever since you posted it in Squire's Evocative Tracknames thread Image

Messed about this weekend playing Final Fight in Shmupmame 4.2 (1f lag) and on PS4 (???) simultaneously via Dualshock 4, over USB cable and Bluetooth respectively.

Machines appear to sync on [start], as do the character select and stage 1 intro. Walking up on the first Bred and killing him with Guy's [px4 into throw] seems synced, as does doing the same to the next one who exits the building. Similar consistency with the stage's final J.

Guy's 100% on Damnd remained synced over several attempts. ShmupMAME footage overlaid onto PS4. Several attempts mostly because my PS4 kept missing the first few seconds Image video starts midway through the first rep. Slowed down you can see some variance, but it's not enough to break the combo.

This is pretty much what happens when I compare various Arcade Archives titles to Shmupmame via the same method. I'm sure I may be committing an elementary boner somewhere (is the PS4 infesting the PC's megabytes? :shock:), but I do ok in those games, so I will commence with gittin gud, and dropkicking hookers through phone booths, and report back if something fucked (or even mildly untoward) occurs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:25 am 

Good to see BIL enjoying Final Fight. This game always deserves more love.

I remember how Hagane here used to rage at Final Fight in every beatem up thread, very funny to see. :lol:

Playing this bundle recently, I think I'm getting close to a Knights of the Round 1cc. Or maybe not. Practiced some sections with the save feature and kind of figured out the tight spots. Now need to do it all in a single run, lol.

Will try recording my runs, but how to not turn my videos into hundreds of GBs? I recorded some Time Trial races in GTA online and the videos were enormous, despite being only a minute long or so. Is it the 1080p 60fps quality, do I need to lower it? Using the Radeon software from the video card

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 am 

BIL wrote:
Me too, ever since you posted it in Squire's Evocative Tracknames thread Image

oh haha, forgot i'd done that.

Damn her hair changes colour on landing.

FF haunts my dreams sometimes, that I tapped out. But i might go back in if I can do that stunlock punch trick :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 am 

Leandro wrote:
I remember how Hagane here used to rage at Final Fight in every beatem up thread, very funny to see. :lol:

Had a great time revisiting those impassioned, articulate discussions. :mrgreen: Reminds me of the oldschool VS newschool STG schism. As there, while I get why some prefer the newer, more sophisticated and smoothed-out stuff, there's an elemental savagery to FF I can't resist. It's like Capcom's Kunio, "A world of unrefined violence" (quoth Muneki Ebinuma of Double Dragon Advance)

Quote:
Will try recording my runs, but how to not turn my videos into hundreds of GBs? I recorded some Time Trial races in GTA online and the videos were enormous, despite being only a minute long or so. Is it the 1080p 60fps quality, do I need to lower it? Using the Radeon software from the video card

I'm a total novice at video editing, but compressing the raw video in VirtualDub should drop the filesize dramatically, without sacrificing resolution or framerate. :smile: The ~40sec MAME clip in my previous post was 650mb before compression, 5mb afterward. I recommend the x264vfw codec, which IIRC comes with VirtualDub, but if not, can be easily downloaded for it.

Here's what you're looking for:

Spoiler: show

Again I'm a total noob, so there are probably more elegant solutions, but as a quick fix it's served me well. Image

Blinge wrote:
Damn her hair changes colour on landing.

She was a HOOER ♫ (^ω´ )
He was a Dad ♫ (`ω´メ)
He kicked the sex worker right outta her ♫ (■`W´■)

(that's my nefarious GIF compression spoiling Akira Yasuda aka AKIMAN's fine pixel art :oops: Image)

Quote:
FF haunts my dreams sometimes, that I tapped out. But i might go back in if I can do that stunlock punch trick :lol:

I wouldn't worry too much about the infinite - this guy went without, and one-lifed the game with Cody on maxed difficulty. The combo throw (hold up or down during) and backwards jump (hit [jump], then [away] a tick later - great for quick movement and bulldozing enemies), combined with good crowd control and zoning fundamentals, will serve you better. I know the last point sounds trite, but it can't be overstated Image You'll die in seconds if swarmed, and even zako's counter-punches can devastate your lifebar.

Not that the infinite is a bad addition to your toolkit. For Cody and Guy, it's basically a three-step pattern. While feathering the punch button (you don't need to hammer it - you can, for a faster pace, but slower is easier): land two hits, holding [away] after the second has landed, so you pivot and whiff the third, resetting your combo. Pivot back and nail the target with two more hits, repeating as long as required. Don't think of it as throwing individual punches - just steadily feather the button, so you can pivot freely (normally you can't turn around while a punch is active - the [attack+away] input enables this, and thus the infinite).

Pivot after second hit, pivot after whiff. Pivot after second hit, pivot after whiff... it's a steady groove. My biggest issue is my current dpad chokes fuckin balls, it wasn't great even new, but then the underlay split (as DS4s' always do, after a few months of Slug/Contra etc), and the knockoff repair one's even worse. -_- I think of it as weighted training gear, I will meditate and then destroy them Image

Guy can land three hits a rep, as shown, but Cody will be stronger regardless. Haggar's timing is less mechanical, more of a rhythm - land a punch, sway away to whiff, repeat. I find it trickier, but it also does a shit-ton of damage, so you don't need to keep it up as long ( Image ).

FF's a ruthless and sometimes clandestine fucker, but it's not impervious, and when it starts to crack under learned pressure you will experience CATHARSIS Image EVN's post here was inspiring to see, as a longtime admirer/novice.

EVN wrote:
-Stage 2 is a difficulty spike, early in your journey you will feel like the game is impossible because the train is hard, doesn't reliably drop food when you need it and Sodom is a troll. After Sodom the game is a bit easier again until the Purple Andore in the hallway before Rolento's elevator.

^^^ Most definitely. Reminds me of their Gun.Smoke, whose ten-stage intro sequence and wicked third stage may cause newbies to despair. In reality, st3 is harder than almost anything seen afterward, in some cases much harder. FF's train and Sodom are a brutal start but they don't represent a uniform curve. Not that either game isn't a bitch. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:59 pm 

BIL wrote:
She was a HOOER ♫ (^ω´ )
He was a Dad ♫ (`ω´メ)
He kicked the sex worker right outta her ♫ (■`W´■)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMt7C3COiVM

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:06 pm 

The Alibi of Mike Haggar Image

Offline Profile