So, do you feel that Japanese gaming is back?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: So, do you feel that Japanese gaming is back?

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Oh no, that's right, the early ones were checkpoint shmups. Salamander/Life Force were the first to actually have recollectable options right?
Yeah, Gradius V's instant respawn and retrievable Options do feel like nods to Salamander.

You can even go full hardcore and decline the amenity by enabling its wonderfully misleading "REVIVAL START" option. :mrgreen:

GV Announcer: ONLY THING GETTING REVIVED NOW IS THE SPIRIT OF 1985 YOU SOFT MOTHERFUCKER.
qmish

Post by qmish »

They don't mention addressing the autofire issues
i dont understand

i just was playing Sine Mora recently and if i tap manually fast fire like in blazing star or whatever... nothing happens. rate the same as just autofire pressed down for long.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqmCW5gfj0

The fire rate is not capped and can be broken with a rapid fire controller. Same issue with Darius Gaiden; there is a relatively slow autofire rate by default that feels on the weak side, and it can be broken with rapid fire to the point where you fire one bullet every frame or every other frame, which is way too strong. No idea if it was addressed in the EX version.
qmish

Post by qmish »

so you mean to break cap i need some dirty rapidcontroller?

because as i said, tapping button insanely fast dont do anything, its just as slow
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah, i don't get it. that is a total non issue, just like it is in darius gaiden. don't want to make the game easier? don't use a rapid fire controller. what's the problem?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Mischief Maker wrote:Have you played Severance?
Nope! But it's ridiculous to claim that Demon's Souls, one of the most innovative and distinct games in recent memory, is really just a ripoff/inferior version of some random western game because it has spooky dungeons or third person sword fighting. Severance is just a Zelda ripoff btw.

I did look up a video of Severance though, and this
Mischief Maker wrote:Severance had a stamina bar.
is deliberately misleading. You know very well that blocking and dodging don't consume stamina in Severance and that it has little in common with the Souls stamina system.
qmish wrote:Didn't expect alphamale garbage on this forum
Ah, roguelike elitists...
It's just a meme.
qmish

Post by qmish »

then go play Severance

it is "souls of early 00s"

though i'd say deathtrap dungeon also was giving me souls vibes when i played that, but that's other story
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Honestly, putting aside the nonsense about Severance and Ultima, the real thonker on there is "rpg jank"

Souls series are pretty much balanced for Level 1 runs. And not in a "plink the boss to death for an hour" way either. The vast brunt of your damage comes from items found along the way, rather than your stats.

But the stats in Souls are brilliant, pretty much never interfere with the action, genuinely change and evolve the way you play in meaningful ways, have interesting risk/reward elements attached (soul retrieval), and simply unraveling them is massively fun. There are games that I think might be better balanced with their rpg elements excised (currently, Ys Felghana/Origin come to mind) but Souls isn't one of them.

I have to question if MM is the one who "hasn't played" these games.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Ulima Underworld -> King's field -> Souls bloodline is more obvious actually
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Honestly, putting aside the nonsense about Severance and Ultima, the real thonker on there is "rpg jank"

Souls series are pretty much balanced for Level 1 runs. And not in a "plink the boss to death for an hour" way either. The vast brunt of your damage comes from items found along the way, rather than your stats.

But the stats in Souls are brilliant, pretty much never interfere with the action, genuinely change and evolve the way you play in meaningful ways, have interesting risk/reward elements attached (soul retrieval), and simply unraveling them is massively fun. There are games that I think might be better balanced with their rpg elements excised (currently, Ys Felghana/Origin come to mind) but Souls isn't one of them.

I have to question if MM is the one who "hasn't played" these games.
Yeah, they're action RPGs where the RPG part doesn't mess up the action part. No one should be getting that wrong, but the overwhelming majority of developers do. Agreed on Ys Origin and Oath as well. There's some good in their items and equipment - I like to get weapons ahead of when I'm supposed to in Oath - but experience levels add zero value to either of those games.
qmish wrote:Ulima Underworld -> King's field -> Souls bloodline is more obvious actually
If we're talking inspiration, that's very plausible. But the original topic was innovation, and to claim that Demon's Souls isn't innovative because Ultima Underworld (or Severance) already did everything that was done in Demon's Souls is blatantly false.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

qmish wrote:Ulima Underworld -> King's field -> Souls bloodline is more obvious actually
Demon's Souls's structure (hub that branches into separate stand-alone themed worlds) is clearly ripped straight from UU2.

EDIT: @Vanguard, if tactical depth is important to you, why the hell are you playing roguelikes at all? "Read spoilers to get the good items, control one character", some tactical game. If you're looking for actual depth, try XCom: UFO Defense or Terror From the Deep, Jagged Aliance 2, or Silent Storm.
Squire Grooktook

Obscura wrote:
Demon's Souls's structure (hub that branches into separate stand-alone themed worlds) is clearly ripped straight from UU2.
Demon's Souls was originally being developed to use the same open-progressive world as Dark Souls, with each area interlinking with the others in classic Zelda/Metroid fashion. It became a hub only because they were running out of money and dev time midway through, and the idea ended up being reinstated in the more thoroughly funded Dark Souls.

Another fun fact: some of all that shit that got cut out is still on the disc. People managed to hack into a half-finished scrapped tundra level on the disc a few years ago, among other things.
Obscura wrote:: @Vanguard, if tactical depth is important to you, why the hell are you playing roguelikes at all? "Read spoilers to get the good items, control one character", some tactical game. If you're looking for actual depth, try XCom: UFO Defense or Terror From the Deep, Jagged Aliance 2, or Silent Storm.
You done it now boi
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

this is the second time i've seen you mention zelda like this squire, i find it a bit confusing. zelda doesn't have an interconnected world like dark souls or metroid at all. it either has an overworld with dungeons in the 2d games, or the big open hyrule field with towns/dungeons coming off that like spokes in the 3d games.
Squire Grooktook

Immryr wrote:this is the second time i've seen you mention zelda like this squire, i find it a bit confusing. zelda doesn't have an interconnected world like dark souls or metroid at all. it either has an overworld with dungeons in the 2d games, or the big open hyrule field with towns/dungeons coming off that like spokes in the 3d games.
It's not a perfect analogy but it's the best one I could think of in terms of classic old games that everyone knows. I feel like we're kind of splitting hairs here. But to explain:

In the later 2d zelda games (particularly the Oracle series, Minish Cap) and to some extent the earlier ones (Link to the Past to a lesser extent, Link's Awakening to a large extent), you're ability to traverse the overworld is relatively confined when you begin.

In Link's Awakening for example, you cannot move past Kariko Village and the Lost Woods until you obtain the Roc's Feather from Dungeon 1, which allows you to jump over the pits near the end of The Lost Woods and reach the Marsh (where Dungeon 2 is). Likewise, you cannot move to the western fields at the edge of Kariko until you obtain the Titan Bracelet from Dungeon 2...which - incidentally, links to the Marsh and other areas too! It's definitely not a massive field "hub" like the 3d N64 games, and the Oracle games are even more complex in their world progression, involving two planes on top of the more complex puzzles that gate off new areas.

This is pretty standard rpg / adventure game type progression though. There are old rpg's that let you walk to the ends of the earth right after the intro, but just as many are designed around gating off towns, locales, and dungeons until you meet the necessary requirements (be they items acquired from exploration, triggered story events, etc.) for progress.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
tnc

Post by tnc »

Who/What is Chad Brogue?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

chad is a meme and brogue is a free roguelike game.

https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/
tnc

Post by tnc »

Immryr wrote:chad is a meme and brogue is a free roguelike game.

https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/
Oh, thank you. I know Nethack and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, never heard of Brogue (Brogue? Really?)

So Vanguard, how are you comparing a roguelike with Fallout? I guess you guys past on the subject but...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Immryr wrote:this is the second time i've seen you mention zelda like this squire, i find it a bit confusing. zelda doesn't have an interconnected world like dark souls or metroid at all. it either has an overworld with dungeons in the 2d games, or the big open hyrule field with towns/dungeons coming off that like spokes in the 3d games.
The overworlds in 2D Zeldas are usually incredibly elaborate and are interconnected worlds in their own right, far more so than some of the hub-like areas you see in Metroid such as Brinstar (Metroid) Crateria (Super), Tallon Overworld, etc. In some games, dungeons feel more like side obstacle courses, and the overworld becomes the main thing. ALttP is a huge example.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

To OP's original point: General consensus on game centric forums much less focused on Japanese games (than this site) that I go to is that Japan is absolutely kicking ass lately.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Obscura wrote:"Read spoilers to get the good items, control one character", some tactical game.
Yeah it sucks. Once you learn where the good items are you can break the game easily. There's not really any skill, you just take your one guy and damage race everything. But enough about Fallout!!

You sure like talking shit about games don't know anything about. Pretty hard to spoil where the good items are when a new world is randomly generated every time!

There are a ton of different tactical concepts you have to balance while playing a roguelike. A lot more than you you need to worry about in, say, X-Com (more on that later). First and most importantly, you need to be able to judge what you can and can't handle. Picking fights you can't win is the number one cause of death in these games. You always want to have an escape route prepared when you go into anything dangerous, and you need to make sure it stays open while you fight. Ideally you'll have a backup escape route just in case. You need to realize when a fight has started to go badly before it turns into a real problem. At best you blow a valuable consumable and at worst you get killed. You need to be able to judge when to burn a consumable and when to risk going without, somewhat like bomb use in shmups. You need to do all the usual things in tactics games like use cover to approach ranged attackers or exploit chokepoints to turn a fight against a group into a series of 1v1s. Using weak enemies as human shields of sorts to stop the advance or shots of stronger enemies can be very effective. Most of the time you can't do all of this stuff at once, so you need to decide what to prioritize in any given situation.

The great majority of roguelikes include time limits which are a big concern. Sometimes speedier tactics are worth taking a bit more damage or using up more resources. It's possible to win all of your tactical battles and lose the strategic war. Sometimes it's worth taking the time to prepare a perfect battlefield to face a dangerous enemy, often you can't afford it. There are lots of other ways in which roguelikes take advantage of the interplay between short-term tactics and long-term strategy. For example, it's common for the player character to gain special abilities from eating the meat of rare monsters, but you have to judge if you can really beat that red dragon and if the immediate danger is worth permanent fire resistance.

That's all still relatively basic, but much like shmups, roguelikes are more diverse than they appear and most need to be approached in their own unique way. Sil allows you to build characters who can move and attack at the same time, which lets you style on small groups of orcs and trolls, but a mobility-focused character is in that much more trouble if they get surrounded. Sil's enemy AI is very good so getting surrounded is a constant threat. Brogue's hunger-based time limit is extremely strict and most magic items recharge slowly, so the decision of when to use a magic item and when to take a break and let your items recharge is never easy. ADOM punishes you in the late game for the number of feline-type enemies you've killed (or rewards you with an incredible item if you haven't killed any) so whenever a tiger shows up, there's always a puzzle of how to get away without harming it.

To be fair, there really is one family of rogulikes that become immensely easier after reading spoilers, namely NetHack and its descendants. NetHack itself is the worst offender. You might figure out on your own to rub grease on your cloak to make it harder for eels to constrict you. You might decide on your own to wear a blindfold before you encounter Medusa. Maybe you'll figure out how to avoid petrification via cockatrices, and you might even find out how to weaponize their ability for your own use. But the whole game is full of things like that and solving all of it through trial and error could take literal years of your life. I respect NetHack's immense complexity, the huge number of things that can be interacted with, the sheer number of ways to interact with them, and that most of it is practical in some way or another. But as far as actually playing it goes, I'm not a fan tbh. Other hacklikes, such as ADOM and Ragnarok, manage to keep most of the appeal of NetHack's complexity while remaining far more playable and winnable for unspoiled players.

It's funny that you accuse roguelikes for being about looking up optimal strategies and engaging in trivial tactics, because that's a good description of X-Com. Learn a good base layout once and you can use it for every base in every playthrough, there's no reason to diversify. Look up a good research order and for every future playthrough you're just going through the motions. When to build more bases, what to manufacture, nothing changes between playthroughs to encourage trying a different approach from what works. Read a guide once and you've mastered the strategic half of the game.

When you start a mission, you want to throw a smoke grenade outside of your ship so you don't get nailed by reaction fire. After your smoke grenade goes off, send out your most expendable guys to spot and keep your most accurate guys on a safe hill or something to snipe. Have your snipers shoot the aliens your spotters find. If there's an alien in a building, blow up the building. If an alien is inside a ship and you don't have a blaster launcher to make your own entrance, send a sacrificial rookie inside. Once the aliens are out of TUs, send your real soldiers. That's the tactical half of the game. Repeat that for about 50 missions until you research psionics. After psionics you can steamroll everything in your sleep on superhuman difficulty. Speaking of difficulty, make sure to apply a fanpatch or the game will ignore your difficulty selection and set itself to beginner!

This gets pretty tedious pretty quickly, and it's made that much worse by the fact that you can bring about a ridiculous number of soldiers on missions (26 with the Avenger). Moving 26 soldiers every turn on missions that can last dozens of turns is a tedious nightmare. I always brought along a few tanks, not because a tank is better than four soldiers, but because moving one tank is a lot less of a pain than moving four soldiers. While on the topic of tedious mechanics, X-Com uses that execrable system where to get better at doing X, you need to repetitively perform X until your X skill levels up. This concept has never once in gaming history been used to good effect.

Just as with Fallout, X-Com is not an outright bad game. It's ambitious, it's complex, and it has excellent atmosphere. It's also extremely overrated, difficult to learn and easy to master. Actually now that I think of it, "difficult to learn and easy to master" is the recurring theme of the old-school western pantheon. Bloated, counterintuitive rulesets where optimal play is simple and repetitive. RPGs where 99% of the difficulty is in reaching experience level 2. Games that make it it hard to obtain even basic supplies while playing blind, but where a knowledgeable player can obtain top tier equipment right off the bat. They love that stuff. Even genuinely great games like Star Control 2 follow the trend. Well it's still better than the modern "easy to learn, nothing to master" approach.
tnc wrote:Oh, thank you. I know Nethack and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, never heard of Brogue (Brogue? Really?)

So Vanguard, how are you comparing a roguelike with Fallout? I guess you guys past on the subject but...
Brogue's really good. Nowhere near as complex as NetHack and it can't match Crawl's character variety, but it combines parts of both games' best virtues into something stronger than the sum of its parts. It's very good about making everything understandable as well, easy to pick up and play immediately. Highly recommended.

Not I sure I understand your question. How did I come to compare the two? Read the thread. How can I compare dissimilar games? I think I did just fine.
tnc

Post by tnc »

Vanguard wrote:Brogue's really good. Nowhere near as complex as NetHack and it can't match Crawl's character variety, but it combines parts of both games' best virtues into something stronger than the sum of its parts. It's very good about making everything understandable as well, easy to pick up and play immediately. Highly recommended.

Not I sure I understand your question. How did I come to compare the two? Read the thread. How can I compare dissimilar games? I think I did just fine.
Nice, I'll check out Brogue sometime.

I was pointing out their dissimilarity. Sure, you can compare apples and oranges if you like but I don't think a wrpg has ever influenced a roguelike.
Last edited by tnc on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tnc

Post by tnc »

To stay on topic, I'm looking forward to From Software's Sekiro.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Don't you know that FromSoft stole everything from other games and don't have a scrap of originality to anything they do?
Nevermind that nothing plays quite like Demon's Souls. It's a total ripoff. Derivative.

Western innovates though!
See look, Witcher 3!! God bless america.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
tnc

Post by tnc »

Blinge wrote:Don't you know that FromSoft stole everything from other games and don't have a scrap of originality to anything they do?
Nevermind that nothing plays quite like Demon's Souls. It's a total ripoff. Derivative.

When you say they stole everything from other games, do you mean their own games? It's still a ripoff technically, I guess. Because you're not the past version of you who made all the other games. They got lost in time, they can't sue you anymore either.

There was a pianist guy, I forgot his name, who lost his memory and learned to play the piano again listening to his own records.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm so late to the party for this thread that I apologize in advance for adressing some kinda old posts. I had no idea that this thread would turn out to be so relevant to my interests.
Sir Ilpalazzo wrote: That's actually kind of disappointing to hear - I had heard a few good things about Prey (mostly avoided discussion on it though) and found myself excited for it thanks to comparisons to the first Deus Ex and System Shock 2, two of my favorite games. Do either of you have an opinion on how it compares to those games or are they not your thing either?
Prey is great! I'm a huge SS2 fan, and though I wouldn't compare Prey directly to it, I think it manages to scratch a lot of the same itch, and is clearly developed with a love for what that game did.
It's a thoroughly well designed game where applying different methods to solve any situation is absolutely central, and works endlessly better than the recent Deus Ex's approach of "HAY DO U WANT TO USE GUNS OR STEALTH?".
Obscura wrote:Kitten, if you're calling Prey of all things "player empowerment", then you're casting the terms so widely that it loses all meanings. Yeah, the game that encourages you to just run away from more dangerous enemies unless you do a particular thing that locks you into a worse ending sure is empowerment!
Ok, that's one of my biggest disappointments in Prey. For all the different ways you can tackle the game, and the game actually recognizing your methods and having them affect who survives, etc. it's pretty dumb that none of it makes a difference. There is no "worse" ending, there is only one single ending which only varies based on a choice you make literally at the last few seconds of the ending itself. Even if I can subconsciously tell myself that I make a difference by saving this and that person, the game literally tells you that it doesn't actually make a difference.
Last edited by Sumez on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Also these:
BryanM wrote: It does feel kind of sad that the Link to the Past sequel only sold 1/4th of what Breath of the Wild did.
Considering it obviously had way less than 1/4 of the budget, I consider that a huge success. I would love to see a *real* follow-up to that game though, rather than what's essentially a 50% remake.
Obscura wrote: Japanese development is at least as assembly line as western AAA, probably moreso.
I'd say the biggest difference is that Western developers have a tendency to work towards a singular "best" way of implementing everything, and then they create big AAA games which have everything, done in roughly the same way. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is a game I really hate for being the embodiment of this exact concept. Even if it's technically a competent game.
Japanese developers, or at least the big ones, do the same thing, but they usually tend to have a (probably unintentionally) much quirkier way of doing those things that tend to differ from the standard formulas, and it makes their games stand apart more, even if they are still ripping off other stuff. Japanese FPS games are super interesting even if they aren't great.
Ultima Underworld
I'm glad to see people around here have some insight into this series. I really want to start with it some time in the near future, so I'd say it's about time for a dedicated thread :3
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Lol don't bother, apparently playing DeS is enough :mrgreen:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
tnc

Post by tnc »

Shit, I’ve been playing ripoffs this whole time.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:Don't you know that FromSoft stole everything from other games and don't have a scrap of originality to anything they do?

I know you are being sarcastic but thankfully no one actually called Witcher 3 innovative here lol.
qmish

Post by qmish »

classic Zelda/Metroid fashion
nah, you mean UU2/SS1 (for reals, shortcut unlock in ss1 always a pleasure) fashion :wink:

Anway, i don't like how discussion went to "stolen!11" though. Come on guys, u're better than this.