Smartphone Games Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
tnc

Smartphone Games Thread

Post by tnc »

Ok, I don't know why I became so obsessed with finding smartphone gems but here it goes. I have an iPhone but you can list whatever you like. Thanks.

iOS:
Thumper
Aka to Blue
Desert Golfing
TennisChamps
868-HACK
qmish

Re: Smartphone Games Thread

Post by qmish »

many nice smartphone games died though

i play ios since 2010 or smth, i witnessed stuff

i'll namedrop smth later
tnc

Post by tnc »

Yeah, I have InfinityGene and Mr. Driller that I can't download anymore.
qmish

Post by qmish »

They even removed it from "your purchases"? I dont know as i keep it installed (infinity gene, and guess i managed to get dlc ships)
tnc

Post by tnc »

They do show under purchased but no download.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Kairosoft games are worth checking out, the paid ones at least. The newest ones are freemium and don't really hold up. I especially enjoyed Grand Prix Story and Home Run High.

Another one I like very much is Dungeon Ascendance. It's a clone of Desktop Dungeons but you recover health by eating food instead of exploring the dungeon. That alone makes the game 1000x better.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The only things I play are FGO and Honkai Impact 3rd.
Mostly the latter. It's largely mindless 3D brawler fun with a simple rock-paper-scissors type system for damage boosts. There's a bunch of shit to do, the controls are rather good for a touch-screen 3D beat-em-up, and the graphics are nice. It takes way too long to unlock all the interesting stuff though, your first 15 or so captain levels are basically a tutorial. There's a really poorly translated story that probably doesn't make any sense in Japanese anyway. The only really cash-grab thing it does is to charge like $20+ for costumes, which is fucking obnoxious.

and then FGO isn't amazing, but it compares favorably to way too much other mobage shit, so I still play it occasionally, and it's not too miserable for F2P players, assuming you're not trying to get specific Servants [you can blow hundreds of dollars without getting a five-star Servant]

was interested in Star Ocean when it came out, but it's immensely boring and the character models all have those horrific Star Ocean 5 faces despite the graphics otherwise being impressive so I uninstalled it
a buddy tried to get me to play Azur Lane, and again, it's immensely boring [haven't uninstalled it]

the mobile Tekken game is fucking garbage and the idea of anyone spending money on it is sickening [like, I've never put a single cent to any gacha game, but good lord, Tekken really, really, really wants to try to get people to blow massive amounts of cash to get anywhere in it, it's the scammiest thing I've ever seen, and the AI visibly just decides to read your laggy touchscreen inputs like a book and hard counter perfectly whenever it wants]
It's so fucking bad. Nice graphics, at least.

used to play Sonic Dash, but it got really boring after a month or two, and there were only like three different stage types, two of which were just Green Hill Zone

edit:
also, I miss Tales of the Rays
could just play JP but half the fun was reading the dumb as shit Tales of story and seeing all these characters together
Last edited by null1024 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's kind of funny the magnitude in the difference between Nintendo's mobile gacha Action RPG and SEGA's FGO clone.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I had some awesome stuff back when I had an iPod, a lot of it seems to never have made the transition to Android, and I'm guessing much of it is lost to the passage of time.

Had an absolutely amazing Battlezone clone - Vector Tanks - which took the original, rammed the area with enemies, and sped it up by a factor of ten. Sadly, I think 'Atari' had it removed from sale.

Jeff Minter's stuff is always worth checking out. Goat Up, Minotron and Gridrunner are absolutely superb.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
tnc

Post by tnc »

Goat Up looks cool, I'll try it. Thank you.
Gacha games I tried a couple of times and the gameplay didn't appeal to me.
Kairosoft games look interesting. I've heard of Game Dev Story. Thanks.
guigui

Post by guigui »

One Finger Death Punch was an instant classic on the XBLA and PC. I loved it to death : simple and precise gameplay, hard to master, skills required.
Long video, things get crazy fast at the end : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPDlPOBErM

It has a iOS/Android port which is quite good, delivers the same adrenaline as the original. Since it is (was ?) free, they added some PTW elements (totally avoidable) and a lot of new perks which tend to make the game a bit less skill based than the XBLA version is, but really fun nonetheless. Definitely worth trying out.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
tnc

Post by tnc »

guigui wrote:One Finger Death Punch was an instant classic on the XBLA and PC. I loved it to death : simple and precise gameplay, hard to master, skills required.
Long video, things get crazy fast at the end : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPDlPOBErM

It has a iOS/Android port which is quite good, delivers the same adrenaline as the original. Since it is (was ?) free, they added some PTW elements (totally avoidable) and a lot of new perks which tend to make the game a bit less skill based than the XBLA version is, but really fun nonetheless. Definitely worth trying out.
Oh wow. That looks very cool.