Falling in love all over again.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: Falling in love all over again.

Post by BIL »

scrilla4rella wrote:
BIL wrote:Deka 2 is giving me the violent urge to hook up my DC and smash a urinal over a motherfucker's head to the best enemy KO sample ever (*WHAM* "EIHHH! EIIIHHH!"). Or even ARREST SOME MUHFUCKAS ("GAWRRR!" "YOU LOSER!"). Living overseas far from anyone who GAF unfortunately. However the survival mode is arcade crack much like that of Final Fight CD's Time Attack and Double Dragon Advance's own survival, so I might just do that this weekend.
lol. Don't forget to nuke the mooks by the swimming pool
You know, I'd totally forgotten there were nukes and now I'm dying remembering them. :lol: What a riot that game is.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Shelcoof wrote: Buddy of mine decided to send me a file the size of I think 14mb or 17mb and told me to enjoy the game. I was like dude are you sure this is the game. He was like yhaa just unzip it. So I did... burnt the CDR and wow.... Ikaruga!
that reminded me of way, way, wayyyyy forever ago when I first found out you could emulate the DC [since I didn't have one yet], and being ridiculously wowed at how good the music was coming from such a small disc image
Was probably like 2007/8 [didn't have high-speed internet before then, so downloading DC games was the furthest thing from my mind].
had to turn off all kinds of sorting and the lot to get it to run at a decent pace, but as a fixed-viewpoint game, it doesn't need most of that anyway 8)
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

OMG you talking about downloading games. This is sparking a huge trip to memory lane for me thats for sure lol.

When me and my friends first discovered emulation. We couldn't believe you can just go on the internet and download an emulator and roms just like that. It was soo easy click on the agree to delete the roms after 24hours and use it for educational purposes lol.

At that time I was desperately looking for Monster World. Never was able to find that at any stores. I downloaded that game and backed it up on the floppy disk and carried it around like it was my very own lol.

I never managed to use that Rom due to the fact the Floppy never ended up working :(.

But I managed to find a copy eventually on a game trading website from Australia.

I eventually traded that in for a copy of Sega Ages Monster World Collection for the PS2. I still treasure that Monster World Collection... hug and kiss my copy every now and again before I go to bed :D
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Super interesiting thread.

I think gaming as an adult with responsibilities ebbs and flows. What sparks interest and rekindles old flames is often very random. I went back to Compile shmups recently and I cannot remember exactly how the idea got into my brain. I think I might have seen the word « caravan » written somewhere.

I do regret selling higher end MD stuff because it got prohibitively expensive it seems (Eliminate Down, Twinkle Tale, and the like) but I don’t miss playing them. I think phases are a thing.... I know I have a fighting game phase, then can have a NES one, then I stop playing games altogether and go back to an accessible Cave shmup, an arthouse movie or oldschool Mtg fix. These phases rarely happen together, but always come back as they are core interests... I try not to sell my stuff too much anymore because buying back feels atrocious.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Oh.... yheaaa....! The buying back phase is the hardest phase for me. Trying to re-unite my love for a game I use to own and then realizing how expensive it is to acquire these little gems is the hardest thing. Especially when you sold them for peanuts back in the days and now they are demanding an arm and a leg.

But that's the cost of collecting all over again I guess.

Whenever I go through a phase it's usually some sort of project I want to set up. Example of this would be Virtual On for the Dreamcast. I'd go ahead get two copies of the game and a Link Cable and Twinsticks for both players.

Once I complete this set-up to game with I'd move on to the next without even enjoying them. One big reason why I don't enjoy these kinds of builds is because well... no one ever goes over to people's houses anymore to enjoy games. :( . Life also gets in the way as well.. kids and work.

Everything now a days is all Online in the comfort of your own home sadly.

I've done a number of "Junk" Set-Ups where in my mind I'd plan it all out but never really getting to enjoy them.

Here's a list of stuff I've done that I never really got to enjoy:

- Multiple Copies of PS3 Modnation [Love this game and so bought a few copies to enjoy at home. Never happened]
- Multiple Copies of Twisted Metal PS3 [Played it once I bought 4 lol]
- Smash Bros 3DS [Bought 4 3DS and 4 copies of smash to enjoy... didn't play it much]
- XBox 360 Virtual On [System Link... unfortunately no one to enjoy with]
- Xbox 360 Guardian Heroes [System Link... same no one else to play with]
- Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS [Yup got a few DSs and multiple copies of the game to not enjoy]
- PSP multiplayer games [yup 4 PSPs and 4 copies of Gundam vs and a few other games I forget]
- Racing Wheel Set Up [At one point I really wanted to get into Racing Sims... I realized I sucked]
- Fighting games [I own a ton of fighters and arcade Fight Sticks.. I suck at fighters and by the time I get good at one the third installment is already out]
- and more I obviously but you get the idea

To be honest the only real thing that I play occasionally would be my shmups. I am terrible at them but I get a lot of enjoyment out of them. They can be played for 15 minutes or more. That's all I pretty much have for games these days are about 15 minutes average a session.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I'm with you on that. 2 softmodded fat PS2s w/HDDs networked to play the Time Crisis series with official GunCon 2s and SteelOctane reload pedals through component on two nice CRTs. It happened once and never again, but I love having the capability. I just live too far away from the city to have a lot of company.
Godzilla was an inside job
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Shelcoof wrote:Oh.... yheaaa....! The buying back phase is the hardest phase for me. Trying to re-unite my love for a game I use to own and then realizing how expensive it is to acquire these little gems is the hardest thing. Especially when you sold them for peanuts back in the days and now they are demanding an arm and a leg.

But that's the cost of collecting all over again I guess.

Whenever I go through a phase it's usually some sort of project I want to set up. Example of this would be Virtual On for the Dreamcast. I'd go ahead get two copies of the game and a Link Cable and Twinsticks for both players.

Once I complete this set-up to game with I'd move on to the next without even enjoying them. One big reason why I don't enjoy these kinds of builds is because well... no one ever goes over to people's houses anymore to enjoy games. :( . Life also gets in the way as well.. kids and work.

Everything now a days is all Online in the comfort of your own home sadly.

I've done a number of "Junk" Set-Ups where in my mind I'd plan it all out but never really getting to enjoy them.

Here's a list of stuff I've done that I never really got to enjoy:

- Multiple Copies of PS3 Modnation [Love this game and so bought a few copies to enjoy at home. Never happened]
- Multiple Copies of Twisted Metal PS3 [Played it once I bought 4 lol]
- Smash Bros 3DS [Bought 4 3DS and 4 copies of smash to enjoy... didn't play it much]
- XBox 360 Virtual On [System Link... unfortunately no one to enjoy with]
- Xbox 360 Guardian Heroes [System Link... same no one else to play with]
- Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS [Yup got a few DSs and multiple copies of the game to not enjoy]
- PSP multiplayer games [yup 4 PSPs and 4 copies of Gundam vs and a few other games I forget]
- Racing Wheel Set Up [At one point I really wanted to get into Racing Sims... I realized I sucked]
- Fighting games [I own a ton of fighters and arcade Fight Sticks.. I suck at fighters and by the time I get good at one the third installment is already out]
- and more I obviously but you get the idea

To be honest the only real thing that I play occasionally would be my shmups. I am terrible at them but I get a lot of enjoyment out of them. They can be played for 15 minutes or more. That's all I pretty much have for games these days are about 15 minutes average a session.
sounds like you're wasting an insane amount of money! did you even have someone in mind that you were going to play these with before you bought them, or was it a field of dreams-esque buy it and they will materialise type of thing?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Oh yhaa... for sure... a lot of money wasted lol

At the time of each project there were a number of people in mind to play with. Thing is not everything goes exactly as planned and people are always changing.

So by the time I gather things together and set things up... people are already onto something new.

I guess you can say I did it in hopes of re-living my memories
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I remember selling my copy of Einhander on Ebay around 2002, thinking I'd never want to play it again. Two days later, I scoured for a copy (not sure if here or GameTZ) when I realized just how much I mssed it. Ended up losing eight bucks in the transactions, then. Worth it because the game is good and has aged well.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

OMG I use to trade and sell stuff on GameTZ all the time back in the days.

GameTZ was where I finally scored my copy of Wonder Boy in Monster World for the Gennesis/Mega Drive along with my copy of My Hero for the Master System.

It was a cool place to hang out and chat but eventually life got in the way and I had no time to be going to the post office to ship items out weekly. Not to mention the rising cost of postage here in Canada was brutal.

I did the math and I wasn't saving much trading due to postage costs. I eventually just bought the stuff I want because it was cheaper and saved me a hell of a lot of time.

Edit:

This reminded me of a story back then on the forums and in chat where I claimed to have owned a copy of Final Fantasy Zero for the Saturn. Me and another member played it out so well.... it was hilarious. I wonder if any of that stuff can be found in the forums still?

I knew one day there would be a Final Fantasy Zero... and it ended up being true :)