Everspace is amazing!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Arvandor

Everspace is amazing!

Post by Arvandor »

Anyone who hasn't tried it, should probably try it, or look into it.

It's an arcadey 3D action space shooter rogue-like. Yep. It's exactly as awesome as that sounds. I love it a lot.
Mischief Maker

Re: Everspace is amazing!

Post by Mischief Maker »

I wrote a longform review for Caltrops.com that never ended up getting frontpaged here.

Definitely the prettiest space game I've yet played.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I read your review. Very spot on and well-written, for the most part! The only thing I take issue with is the "unlock-cancer". Everspace rewards skill over the rogue-lite upgrade elements, and the upgrades are mostly fairly minor, in the grand scheme of things. There are a pair of videos on youtube of a very skilled player starting a fresh save, clearing the game on his first attempt with the Interceptor, and then dumping all his credits into the more credits perk, and beating HARD mode on his second run with a completely unupgraded scout. It's fairly rogue-like in how much luck can make or break a run, but it's MUCH more gentle than most, and good piloting skills, knowledge of the game, and intelligent device/consumable use make a much larger impact than pilot and ship perks.

Then there's also "hardcore" mode, which is all rogue-like and no rogue-lite. You technically start out with certain pilot and ship perks unlocked, but they're pretty minimal, then you can unlock more ship perks between sectors, and are also forced to choose between a pair of handicaps (which range from mildly annoying to "Oh god why") for the next sector. I got to Sector 6 last night in a Sentinel before I had to go to bed. I'm excited to see if I'll be able to manage a clear!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well that's why I said it may not be a negative for everyone.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

True enough. Rogue-likes in general are a downside for many people ;P I actually really like Rogue-lites too though, because I like upgrade progression games (like Diablo and whatnot), so Rogue Legacy and Everspace are both awesome. I *really* need to play Invisible Inc too still.