Nintendo Switch accessory - Flip Grip - tate with joycons

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
pcb_revival

Nintendo Switch accessory - Flip Grip - tate with joycons

Post by pcb_revival »

Should this be in hardware?

A heads up for an already funded Kickstarter accessory for the Switch. Ship eta date Nov 2018.

The accessory allows the switch to be played vertical with joycons attached.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... escription

I have no affiliation with the product. I think just think its pretty neat.
opt2not

Re: Nintendo Switch accessory - Flip Grip - tate with joycon

Post by opt2not »

Backed.

I've been wanting something like this ever since hearing the Switch has shmups that support vertical orientations.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

You'd think that a 3rd-party video gaming accesory manufacturer like American-based Nyko or another company would've come up with a workable solution by now that'd allow the opportunity/ability to play your favorite Switch games in the original tate orientation (as originally presented in the arcades/game centers back in the day) with a pair of joy-cons. I'm just glad that a group of folks got together to address this particular pressing issue and lo behold, the Flip Grip was made a reality (at least in the prototype stage as of right now).

I realize that there's least one pinball sim (out of two) that are currently available on the Switch platform that allow for tate of pinball tables but would be competely upside down if used with a Flip Grip setup (namely Stern Pinball on the Switch). I realize that a simple update/fix would address that pressing issue, indeed. How about it, developer/publisher Far Sight Studios? Yep, Pinball FX 3 on the Switch allows for end-user configurable tate as well.

---------------------
3 things to improve upon the 1st-gen Switch...

1.) Nintendo should've had the foresight to include an external carrying strap apparatus on the joy-cons themselves (if side mounted with the Switch) setup (but alas, it wasn't meant to be). Perhaps in it's 2nd incarnation release will this issue be addressed.

2.) Also, a bigger and higher capacity factory installed Li-ion battery would be better than the current one being used in the Switch right now (yep, the Switch is quite power hungry as it is, especially if you run wi-fi and have a current game up & running together = power-hungry Li-Ion battery drainage issue crops up). The only addressable solution for now is to use an external power bank with a higher battery capacity approaching the 20,000mAh @ 5V barrier & beyond = you're good to go in that respectable department for some serious marathon portable gaming sessions (albeit a bit bulky and cumbersome).

3.) Will Nintendo make a 2nd-gen Switch with an OLED screen setup? It'd certainly make for some cool & eye-popping visuals any ol' day when playing games or running apps on it (but at the cost of increasing the production/manufacturing costs and overall MSRP in the end).
---------------------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I love that this exists, but now that we at least get the proper aspect ratio/unchanged arcade gameplay - if scaled - in yoko orientation, I don't know that I'd bother setting that up every time. Yoko isn't the total handicap it was in the CRT days.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

Heads up, tomorrow(July 9th) is the last day that you can get the Flip Grip through it's already funded Kickstarter campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Already backed it :mrgreen:
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

I'm excited for this, although I'm hoping someone releases some grips like this so my hands don't cramp from extended shmupping.
InspiringMike

Post by InspiringMike »

May need to show this to my kids. They'll be excited for it.

By the way, just in case anyone’s interested, my associate is selling an American Force Trax SS and Ironman tire package. If anyone’s interested, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by InspiringMike on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I wish HORI or some other company makes a knockoff version of this. Not a fan of Jeremy Parish.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Jonny2x4 wrote:I wish HORI or some other company makes a knockoff version of this. Not a fan of Jeremy Parish.
It's inevitable by the nature of its mass production in China, you'll surely see factory overruns on Ali Express. But do elaborate on the hate.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Bratwurst wrote:
Jonny2x4 wrote:I wish HORI or some other company makes a knockoff version of this. Not a fan of Jeremy Parish.
It's inevitable by the nature of its mass production in China, you'll surely see factory overruns on Ali Express. But do elaborate on the hate.
Jeremy Parish killed his family.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I like his content, but I'm not fond of him injecting his politics into it. I want his opinion on a game, not his take on the state of American politics. I do quite enjoy his Game Boy Works videos, though. I always learn something new about a game I didn't know, and that series has exposed me to a lot of interesting curios I may otherwise not have learned about. I'm considering buying his Game Boy books.