Help using existing BOSE Cube Speakers with another receiver

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Dochartaigh

Help using existing BOSE Cube Speakers with another receiver

Post by Dochartaigh »

I thought maybe the wonderful members here can help as I'm getting pretty much jack-sh*t from the two reddit groups, three facebook groups, and a couple other forums I posted this question on...and I'm really not talking about rocket science here...

In a nutshell I have one of those old Bose Lifestyle 5/10 systems with 5x double-cube ('redline' series) speakers + a Bose bass box and Bose receiver/CD-player. It seriously (to my untrained ears) kicked some ass for everything from gaming, to movies, to music. The Bose (acoustimass?) bass box and receiver/CD-player are now fried however (and pretty pricy to replace), but I wanted to use the Bose double-cube speakers with another receiver, get a cheap powered subwoofer, and hopefully have a decent 5.1 surround sound setup.

...like 4 forums later and nobody can answer if the above will work for some strange reason! Every receiver I've looked at so far has the ability to set a crossover for the cube speakers (think it would be 200Hz+), so as long as those Bose speakers are 4-8 ohms (which sadly Bose doesn't publish their speaker specs - so that is one question I need answered), and my subwoofer can do ~20-200Hz, I think this would make for a pretty comparable system hopefully. I can list the receivers and subwoofers I'm looking at well if anybody is familiar with this stuff. Thanks.