Arcade and Console Versions of Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Bananamatic

Arcade and Console Versions of Games

Post by Bananamatic »

Shou wrote:Mikado is the #1 arcade nationwide for Guilty Gear right now and when console revs reach parity with arcade, their income tanks like 70% immediately. If the #1 arcade drops that much, think how bad average arcades do.
because the arcade version of GG is inferior?
it has more input lag offline in arcades than you get on the delay netcode on PC plus the waiting between matches is way bigger than on the ports

in arcade, it forces the winner back to practice, the other guy has to throw in another credit, pick the character again, all that shit
on pc/ps4, all you do is get a rematch/back to lobby menu option
hit rematch and you get another game in a second

arcades are a waste of money, a waste of time going to them, plus you're playing the inferior version in this case and the place smells like shit because they allow smoking
what exactly are you expecting here

also, here's a question, what exactly does the exa exclusive content mean?
will the home versions of the shmups be comparable to the exa version or will the home players be stuck playing the old, shitty version with different gameplay that is in no way comparable to the arcade game?
quash

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by quash »

I definitely see how input lag in arcade versions is an issue (and Xrd is far from the only game that lags worse in arcades than on console), but having to get up to rematch? That sounds like grasping, dude.

There's something to be said for the games themselves, too. Back when +R was the newest in the series, even after console release, it kept Mikado packed on the weekends. When Xrd Sign and Rev 1 came out, they both managed to do pretty well for some time, too. It's not a coincidence that Rev 2, the update that has dwindled interest in the series across the board, has had the largest impact on arcade revenues as well. It sucks.

Ultimately, the reason people aren't going to arcades anymore is because the games are either not interesting anymore or never were to begin with. None of Arcsys' output post +R has been particularly great, what with (I think intentionally) tanking Persona, churning out more updates to Blazblue nobody wanted, and Xrd jumping the shark not even three years after release. Capcom has only really had SFIV for some time now, and Namco has a conundrum of their own to worry about. They have Gundam, a community split across three different games, only one of which is still in arcades, and Tekken, which of course is on console now and relies heavily on netplay in the arcades, anyways.

Yeah, some arcades smell like smoke, but besides that, there's more reasons to go than not to go, so long as the games that are out are actually fun. Dwindling arcade attendance is a symptom, not a cause.
Last edited by quash on Wed May 30, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
quash

Post by quash »

Shou wrote:
pmp wrote:Thanks for the analysis Shou. The whole business model of a modern arcade seems rather insane.
The manufacturers and how they are killing the industry and their own business is what's really insane.
That it is.

I have to ask about VF5 though, because I remember with 5R, Sega implemented a split revenue model much like Capcom did for Ultra. Did this not cause massive backlash within the industry? I seem to remember hearing that being the case many years ago, so I figured nobody else would have bothered to try their hand at it unless perhaps they negotiated a low enough percentage to get arcade owners on board. Basically, how the hell is this still going on when it was rejected so badly all those years ago?
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

quash wrote:
Shou wrote:
pmp wrote:Thanks for the analysis Shou. The whole business model of a modern arcade seems rather insane.
The manufacturers and how they are killing the industry and their own business is what's really insane.
That it is.

I have to ask about VF5 though, because I remember with 5R, Sega implemented a split revenue model much like Capcom did for Ultra. Did this not cause massive backlash within the industry? I seem to remember hearing that being the case many years ago, so I figured nobody else would have bothered to try their hand at it unless perhaps they negotiated a low enough percentage to get arcade owners on board. Basically, how the hell is this still going on when it was rejected so badly all those years ago?
This revenue share model started with VF4 where it was 5% of coin revenue. VF4 was like the second coming of SF2 so there was no issue. VF5 as highly anticipated so even with a higher revenue share %, arcades were willing to take it for huge hit but that didn't happen and Sega lowered the revenue share. Every single game nowadays implements this so arcades have no choice.
become history
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

quash wrote:but having to get up to rematch? That sounds like grasping, dude.
rematch is a standard option in any port, just check the amount of requests for tekken 7 until they finally put it in
same for sf5 and the weird player 1 rematch option only
arcades take a standard feature out of the game by design and people defend it, who wants to sit through all the extra loading screens when you're playing a ft50 or something?
even worse, why would new players play in the arcade where you waste money to get destroyed in 1 minute and then wait until it's your turn when you can go online and play as much as you want?

arcades aren't selling a game, they're selling an outdated culture
zak

Post by zak »

MrJBRPG wrote:I found another video that talks about Exa Arcadia and tis flagship game Aka and Blue

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263402774?t=20m25s

It should be a good watch.
Great interview with the legendary Shouman himself :)

Ex(a)citement level up!
quash

Post by quash »

Bananamatic wrote: rematch is a standard option in any port, just check the amount of requests for tekken 7 until they finally put it in
same for sf5 and the weird player 1 rematch option only
arcades take a standard feature out of the game by design and people defend it

Should you be able to pause arcade games? Should you be able to load save states in arcade games? Just because these things make sense for a port doesn't mean they make sense in an arcade. Some things can and do work in arcade versions, like the training mode you mentioned before. It's not like there's a complete resistance to these things in the community or from the developers themselves, but you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Literally nobody that actually plays in arcades cares about these things.
who wants to sit through all the extra loading screens when you're playing a ft50 or something?
I can't speak for every single game, but the games that I do play have pretty minimal loading times between matches in the arcade. It's not like even with rematch options, some ports don't have to load in between matches, anyways.
even worse, why would new players play in the arcade where you waste money to get destroyed in 1 minute and then wait until it's your turn when you can go online and play as much as you want?

Because online play fucking sucks, dude. Don't believe that delay counter above the life bars, either. It's not taking in to account packet loss or ping spikes. Even within Japan, the vast majority of fighting games are absolutely miserable to play online. Not to mention that for the people who are actually good at any given game, even the slightest delay can screw with them, particularly when it comes to older games that didn't intentionally add input lag.
arcades aren't selling a game, they're selling an outdated culture
They're selling both, but if you really think either fighting or shooting games would have survived the last twenty years without arcade releases, I really don't know what to tell you. This outdated culture you're decrying is still ingrained in this part of the world to a good degree, and it's responsible for the vast majority of both genres existing in the first place. I'm certainly not going to defend every single practice of the industry (I am pretty appalled that the shared revenue thing is still going on, among others), but at the same time, there's definitely reason to want to keep them around.

A perfect example of the kind of quality control that the arcade environment instills in developers is Dissidia. That game flopped in arcades and with good reason: it sucked. Then they changed some stuff, released it on console, and what do you know, it sucked less. Direct cause and effect here: Square sold arcade owners a turd, people didn't play it, arcade owners are now much more cautious with this developer. Kinda like the consumer market, but with a lot more money upfront.

There's mumblings right now about Xrd ending at Rev 2, with the next Guilty Gear series being even more simplified. You can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be a console exclusive, and that it's going to kill whatever community for the game remains.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Don't mind banana. His combination of autism and narcissism keeps him from understanding this simple concept no matter how many times you try to explain it.
Like talking to a cardboard box.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

@everybody
Do not reply to one of Banana's posts ever again. He is not serious anyway.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

quash wrote:They're selling both, but if you really think either fighting or shooting games would have survived the last twenty years without arcade releases, I really don't know what to tell you. This outdated culture you're decrying is still ingrained in this part of the world to a good degree, and it's responsible for the vast majority of both genres existing in the first place.
20 years?
you mean back when netplay wasn't a thing, before street fighter 4 revived the genre in the west, shmup ports sucked and ps2 wasn't able to run ketsui no matter how hard they tried?
arcades had a place back then because the hardware was straight up better than what we had at home, virtua tennis was fucking amazing seeing how all I had at home was a fucking dendy with nintendo tennis
now arcades have fuck all to offer, especially with hardware holding the games back at worst (look at CAVE's later output) and being equal to pc and consoles at best and less options due to the way arcades work (why would someone pay to lab in the arcade when you have a perfectly fine practice mode at home with delay settings?)
quash wrote:Should you be able to pause arcade games? Should you be able to load save states in arcade games? Just because these things make sense for a port doesn't mean they make sense in an arcade. Some things can and do work in arcade versions, like the training mode you mentioned before. It's not like there's a complete resistance to these things in the community or from the developers themselves, but you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Literally nobody that actually plays in arcades cares about these things.
so you straight up say that arcade=less features?
why would someone want to pay extra and waste time commuting to play a version with less features?
quash wrote: Because online play fucking sucks, dude. Don't believe that delay counter above the life bars, either. It's not taking in to account packet loss or ping spikes. Even within Japan, the vast majority of fighting games are absolutely miserable to play online. Not to mention that for the people who are actually good at any given game, even the slightest delay can screw with them, particularly when it comes to older games that didn't intentionally add input lag.
"hey dude want to come over to play street fighter?"
problem solved
you're playing offline, no lag, with whatever controller you want instead of being stuck with the sticks they have installed (good luck if you're a hitbox or pad player) while spending way less money
and you're playing the better version with more features on top of that
why would you go to an arcade again?
quash wrote: There's mumblings right now about Xrd ending at Rev 2, with the next Guilty Gear series being even more simplified. You can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be a console exclusive, and that it's going to kill whatever community for the game remains.
sure killed street fighter V
people still play offline, you don't need cabs, all you need is some sort of a gaming cafe (which are in almost every country unlike arcades) with ps4s or even pcs and you can play just fine
or just meet up at someone's place
Eaglet wrote:Don't mind banana. His combination of autism and narcissism keeps him from understanding this simple concept no matter how many times you try to explain it.
Like talking to a cardboard box.
not an argument
the facts are simple, you can do whatever you can in an arcade setting at home, except for less money, with less restrictions and with more features
it's an outdated business model that has to rely on gimping the home versions for no reason to not die
present an argument for arcades in year 2018, none of this "they were relevant 20 years ago and we should keep them alive for that even if it means screwing over anyone who doesn't live near an arcade"
Marc

Post by Marc »

It sounds like you've literally never played in an arcade. I went to a dedicated arcade/bar with a bunch of friends (arcade Club, Bury UK peeps) and it was literally the best time I've had playing video games in years, I didn't realise how much I've missed it. I don't need practise modes, tutorials or any of that other stuff, that's for home when I don't have a bunch of folk queued up behind me waiting to smash my score.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

you don't need an arcade to play with friends
you'd have the exact same experience if it was a console or pc setup with the game
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Bananamatic wrote:you'd have the exact same experience if it was a console or pc setup with the game
You clearly dont know what you are talking about.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Except the atmosphere. Also you don't like going outside? Whats the problem?, why can't arcades and console co-exist?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

monouchi wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:you'd have the exact same experience if it was a console or pc setup with the game
You clearly dont know what you are talking about.
educate me on why your $2000 plastic is superior to my $50 ikea table
aside from taking 10 minutes to rotate the monitor when it takes me 10 seconds
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Bananamatic wrote: educate me on why your $2000 plastic is superior to my $50 ikea table
aside from taking 10 minutes to rotate the monitor when it takes me 10 seconds
Your console have to start up, then download update, install update, sign in, download update for the game, load game and so on...
I flip the switch and in a matter of seconds Im go.

And one of my plastic (metal though..) was pretty much the same price as your console + game + tv + ikea table....
agyx-groovy

Post by agyx-groovy »

Plasmo wrote:@everybody
Do not reply to one of Banana's posts ever again. He is not serious anyway.
Stop trying to police and mold people and views you don't like with this passive aggressive drivel, i mean the fact you are serious is a far more concerning prospect.
Marc wrote:It sounds like you've literally never played in an arcade. I went to a dedicated arcade/bar with a bunch of friends (arcade Club, Bury UK peeps) and it was literally the best time I've had playing video games in years, I didn't realise how much I've missed it. I don't need practise modes, tutorials or any of that other stuff, that's for home when I don't have a bunch of folk queued up behind me waiting to smash my score.
I didn't find this at all, everything i played in an arcade was just...well ok i guess but it didn't add much to the game. Pinball is a different matter however because i dont own and can't afford a table.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Bananamatic wrote:you don't need an arcade to play with friends
you'd have the exact same experience if it was a console or pc setup with the game

Well there were enough of us in agreement that it was WAY better than playing at home to agree on making it a regular thing.

Horses for courses I guess, but the two aren't even close for me.
Especially with that sweet, sweet OutRun sit-down.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
quash

Post by quash »

Bananamatic wrote:20 years?
you mean back when netplay wasn't a thing

Some Dreamcast fighters had netplay. Also, Kaillera days "hi".
before street fighter 4 revived the genre in the west
I could go on for a very long time on this subject because it's largely a narrative wrapped in half truths, but I'll get to the crux of it: where did SFIV come from? Do you think Capcom just decided that they were gonna return to making fighting games after not making a serious effort at it for seven years? The genre was already on an upswing. 2007 remains one of the best years that genre has ever had, and Capcom capitalized on that. Many people seem to forget, but Capcom used to develop the Gundam VS games, and needless to say, they made a killing off of them.

The felt the wind and changed course accordingly. The "revival" (more of an upsurge) in the West happened for one reason and one reason only: marketing power. The same kind of marketing power that isn't nearly as effective in an arcade environment because consumers aren't bound by platform restrictions or cost, but by what's in front of them.
shmup ports sucked

Again, Dreamcast and for that matter the Saturn say "hi".
and ps2 wasn't able to run ketsui no matter how hard they tried?

Chalk it up to the arcane hardware of an SH-3 arcade board not translating well to the arcane hardware of the PS2.
arcades had a place back then because the hardware was straight up better than what we had at home, virtua tennis was fucking amazing seeing how all I had at home was a fucking dendy with nintendo tennis

I didn't even know Virtua Tennis was an arcade game until several years after I purchased it on Dreamcast. That was the beauty of that console: it was so close to a NAOMI that you had many perfect or close to it conversions.
now arcades have fuck all to offer

Things I don't have at home, off the top of my head:

- A CRT for 240-480p games
- Any arcade PCB or cabinet

I have tons of console sticks and some low lag IPS panel monitors that I've decided are good enough for now, but why not have the option to go to the arcade and play games the way they were unequivocally designed to be?
especially with hardware holding the games back at worst (look at CAVE's later output) and being equal to pc and consoles at best

This was a problem twenty years ago dude! Neo Geo games kept getting released well into the 2000s, among several other examples I could think of, and they were still able to push the hardware in ways many thought weren't possible. Not to mention the parity between the Dreamcast and NAOMI, either.
and less options due to the way arcades work (why would someone pay to lab in the arcade when you have a perfectly fine practice mode at home with delay settings?)

Because there's an off chance that someone may come up to challenge them? Maybe someone they've never played against before? Unless you just want to play training mode forever, that is.
so you straight up say that arcade=less features?
why would someone want to pay extra and waste time commuting to play a version with less features?
It's a tradeoff. Unless you have a PCB in a cabinet at home, you're not playing the game exactly as it was intended. You can get close through ports or emulation (or sometimes even get an improved version of the game through reduced input lag), but ultimately, you will notice that the game you thought you knew is a little different once you play it in arcades. I can attest to this myself with GGAC due to it running faster on PS2 as well as KOF98, which I had only played in FBA prior to moving here.
"hey dude want to come over to play street fighter?"
problem solved

Now imagine you live in Japan. It'd go something like this:

"Hey dude, want to come over and play Street Fighter?"
"I'd like to, but isn't your apartment basically a broom closet?"
"Well, yeah. What about that one dude's house?"
"He lives over an hour away, man"
"Oh, I know, why don't we meet at a location that works for all of us, where we can play Street Fighter with other people too?"
"Maybe get shit faced on the way there?"
"Totally!"
you're playing offline, no lag, with whatever controller you want instead of being stuck with the sticks they have installed (good luck if you're a hitbox or pad player) while spending way less money
and you're playing the better version with more features on top of that

Don't romanticize console games. Several PS4 fighting games do have input lag, even after patching, so that's more or less a wash overall. Depending on the game in question it may come out ahead as it does for Xrd and BB, but I wouldn't generalize that at all.

As for spending way less money, that depends. Are you counting a console as a sunk cost? What about the sticks/controllers? PCBs for multi console capability? DLC? If you don't own a console at all, you could play several hundred games in the arcade before you start to go over that investment.
sure killed street fighter V
The game that failed to meet its sales target? The game that halved Evo entrants in a year?

Besides, you're missing the important part: Guilty Gear is catering to a different audience. People that want a simpler fighting game have many options to choose from. It's akin to CAVE announcing that the new Dodonpachi is going to be a game you can clear on a phone (apologies to the DFK fans in advance).
all you need is some sort of a gaming cafe (which are in almost every country unlike arcades) with ps4s or even pcs and you can play just fine
or just meet up at someone's place
There's nothing wrong with either of those. Even here in Japan, they just opened the Red Bull Gaming Sphere to the public and it's basically just a place to play PS4 games. I've held events at my house because it's large enough to do so. It's not like even where arcades still exist that nobody's thought of these alternatives, but they're just that.

I think you'd benefit from a trip to Japan so you could see how well arcades can work. Your mind might be blown once you see that sometimes they hold freeplay events for certain games, or that some of them don't allow smoking.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

While funny at times it is getting annoying to see every thread i open here getting filled up with the same (usually offtopic) garbage
quash

Post by quash »

I fail to see how this is off topic, myself. EXA is an attempt to get an otherwise slowly declining industry back on its feet. Some are of the opinion that it's completely a lost cause, while myself and others think otherwise. I'm going a little deeper than I thought I'd have to, admittedly, but it's a discussion worth having I think. Move it to another thread if you must.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

spmbx wrote:While funny at times it is getting annoying to see every thread i open here getting filled up with the same (usually offtopic) garbage
I'm sure most agree. It sucks.
Just ignore the trolls.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
agyx-groovy

Post by agyx-groovy »

Marc wrote: Horses for courses I guess, but the two aren't even close for me.
Especially with that sweet, sweet OutRun sit-down.
How good are you? i'm not trying to be an arse but i've often found it can play a part if your playing to have a laugh with your mates compared to actively pursuing a time/score whilst at home you get to set the environment perfectly, i can't be alone in this else japanese arcades wouldn't have started including headphone jacks for the players.
Eaglet wrote:
spmbx wrote:While funny at times it is getting annoying to see every thread i open here getting filled up with the same (usually offtopic) garbage
I'm sure most agree. It sucks.
Just ignore the trolls.
It's a myth though mostly, the reality is a handful of you have decided the strategy to opinions or attitudes you don't like is to discredit them as "trolling" and some other buzzword soups, all dissidents must be banished or something.
donluca

Post by donluca »

People playing fighters go to the arcade because it's completely different playing between the safe 4 walls of your home, without people watching you and without your opponent sitting/standing next to you.

This is why you rarely/never see the so-called top ranked "online warriors" triumph in a competitive environment.

Training in the arcade it's the closest you'll come to a tournament experience: you'll have people gathering around you, cheering or putting you on blast even for the smallest mistakes. Crowds get hype, their voices become louder and louder, the heat goes up and all this while you're trying to pull 1 frame links on your opponent trying to squeeze every single point of damage to get to the victory.

You have your opponent physically next to you, getting nervous, maybe shouting out of nowhere, mashing buttons to get your timing off and all sort of shit, even carefully hearing/watching your hand movement to anticipate your next move.

Meanwhile, your quarters flow in the machine, you find you're out of money and your training session is over. You stop there, watching the others play and have time to meditate on your victories and losses, trying to make sense of what went wrong and what worked.

You're never going to get this at your house with your friends or, even worse, online.

If you want to be a successful player and win tournaments, this is the way to go.
There are no shortcuts.
pmp

Post by pmp »

That effect applies to pretty much all games. You can’t recreate the public environment of an arcade at home. Its one thing to watch a vod or stream of a top player, it’s another thing to be there in person and watch them play.
kuze

Post by kuze »

MrJBRPG wrote:I found another video that talks about Exa Arcadia and tis flagship game Aka and Blue

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263402774?t=20m25s

It should be a good watch.
This was great, thanks for the link!

So Shou mentioned there is an M2 game in the works for Exa? Have they said which? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

AKA to Blue mobile version is awesome, pretty excited to eventually play the arcade version on EXA.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

^
I think it's Ninja Soldier.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62233
pmp

Post by pmp »

Its actually going to be Feveron Gakuen, the first quiz game for the Exa.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

Now I wish it actually was Ninja Soldier :(
agyx-groovy

Post by agyx-groovy »

quash wrote:
Chalk it up to the arcane hardware of an SH-3 arcade board not translating well to the arcane hardware of the PS2.
Ketsui is pgm hardware not sh-3 and pgm is barely more than neo geo spec.