Gamergate failures?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Gamergate failures?

Post by Mischief Maker »

I'm thinking of writing an article about how the whole gamergate movement failed, at least the "ethics in gaming journalism" part of it. To me, the whole point of even getting involved was to end the practice of giving good games bad reviews based on the reviewer's personal politics, like the infamous slamming God Hand got.

Well now I've got two clear examples of games that were unfairly misreviewed for anti social justice reasons: Yooka Laylee (review-bombed for publicly firing youtuber jontron from its voice talent over his history of racist comments) and Battletech (review bombed for having "they" as a pronoun option in the character screen, and not having any of the main NPCs be caucasian). But the rule of three dictates I need at least one more example for the article.

Can anyone name another example of a good game that was the target of a review-bombing campaign because it had a whiff of progressive politics?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Durandal

Re: Gamergate failures?

Post by Durandal »

You're probably going to have to be more specific for what constitutes as politically-motivated reviewbombing, and the role Gamergate had in it. If you were to look at most of the helpful negative reviews of Battletech or Yooka-Laylee, most of it would pertain towards the quality of the game. You're certainly going to need to some more legwork to connect random negative Steam reviews/review videos about SJW themes or such to GamerGate as the cause or the pretend-guard against, especially in this day and age where opinionated people in general are loudly fed up about fsdhfsdfg. Like trying to connect robberies in fast-food restaurants to inter-corporate warfare.

I don't think most people outside the choir are going to care if this turns out to be another episode of "X didn't speak up against Y, therefore...", because that is one of those types of discussions where things get nebulous where even the most concrete conclusions end up relying heavily on the absence of evidence to make a point, and mostly those with a horse in the race already have any reason to care about these kind of arguments. Especially considering you're not talking about a single person, but an equally as nebulous internet mob. Though if you already have a certain audience in mind, you could push the informational angle more.

Anyways, I think you want to be looking into Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear.
like the infamous slamming God Hand got
I thought that was just the reviewer being a Class-SSS Scrub with terminal shit taste. There's (unfortunately) nothing unethical about shit opinions.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I thought this would be about Mundane Matt! He fat lmao Image
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Unless you command hypnosis by way of the written word, the links you’re attempting to demonstrate as examples will be so tenuous they’re very likely to have holes blown in them from point blank range.

Gamergate is a spectre created by progressives to give them an enemy to try and conquer. It doesn’t really exist beyond people of a political persuasion blaming unruly keyboard kids for their disregard for political correctness and other misbehaviors deemed someway threatening.

Don’t bother chasing ghosts, man.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL wrote:I thought this would be about Mundane Matt! He fat lmao Image
You shall not leave empty handed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9RIgSdu4U

The in-video comments are all win.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

when jace connors got almost assassinated by brianna wu via street racing
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Mischief Maker wrote:fuck all of you for obligating me to slog through it! It's a perfect example of a conclusion in search of evidence.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Zen wrote:You shall not leave empty handed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9RIgSdu4U

The in-video comments are all win.
This is why GG must never die. Image (or can never die?)
Spoiler
Bananamatic wrote:when jace connors got almost assassinated by brianna wu via street racing
Rest easy soldier, that was just the cover story. Image With the Wu creature's infiltration of national media, The Commander (PBUH) knew the risk of Deagle Nation racing techniques being caught on film was unacceptable. But he also knew the mere threat of facing them would terrify the fiend into submission. So he swallowed his pride and staged that crash, securing the pestilence's hasty retreat from Gaming Nation mere months later. Image

Last edited by BIL on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Skykid wrote:Unless you command hypnosis by way of the written word, the links you’re attempting to demonstrate as examples will be so tenuous they’re very likely to have holes blown in them from point blank range.

Gamergate is a spectre created by progressives to give them an enemy to try and conquer. It doesn’t really exist beyond people of a political persuasion blaming unruly keyboard kids for their disregard for political correctness and other misbehaviors deemed someway threatening.

beautiful post
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

FinalBaton wrote:
Skykid wrote:Unless you command hypnosis by way of the written word, the links you’re attempting to demonstrate as examples will be so tenuous they’re very likely to have holes blown in them from point blank range.

beautiful post
No, gamergate was an actual event. Zoe Quinn's shitty boyfriend published her personal info that showed she'd slept with some people in the gaming press, people asked if that was the reason her crappy art game "depression quest" was getting so much attention over other indie games, multiple gaming sites responded with "gamers are dead" articles in the same week, this coordination between supposed competitors stunk, and the guy who played Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket dubbed the event "gamergate."

Part of the reason the resulting movement was so hard to define was it encapsulated wildly different groups. From the "we want ethics in gaming journalism" people (like me) to the MRAs. In the end the MRAs won because my anger about being misled into wasting $15 on the art game "Papers, Please" by supposed curmudgeon Yahtzee wasn't as enduring as guys whose motivation could be summed up as, "AAA! I'M GONNA DIE A VIRGIN BECAUSE OF FEMINISM! KILL ALL SJWS! AAAAAAAH"

One of the promises from the movement was that youtubers outside the normal direct-to-advertiser press would provide a source of unbiased reviews. But in the case of Yooka-Laylee, they went out of their way to pan it by playing badly to prove there were bad controls or making meaningless complaints about the lack of worldbuilding. Then they turned around and presented A Hat in Time as the gold standard of everything wonderful in platforming and I found it to be buggy as shit, with constant crashes to desktop, and the only reason I can see for why they said the controls were more tight was all the aim-assist the game provides. Now my evidence that YL was bombed for firing jontron, and AHiT was praised for keeping him is circumstantial, yes, but I'm confident I can make a decent case.

But judging by the reaction, I'm not going to get a third example any time soon so I'll leave Battletech out.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote: I'm not going to get a third example any time soon
Oh, go on then, I'll give you your third example; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62619
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

the biggest crime gamergate is guilty of is supporting fanservice weeb garbage in everything and making huniepop popular
huniepop somehow manages to stand out even among shit like nekopara because the girls are 2D but act like 3D on steroids
what's the fucking point
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Mischief Maker wrote:But in the case of Yooka-Laylee, they went out of their way to pan it by playing badly to prove there were bad controls or making meaningless complaints about the lack of worldbuilding.
youtubers aren't the paragon of skill
or insight for that matter
being an idiot isn't exclusive to official publications

But judging by the reaction, I'm not going to get a third example any time soon
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i'd never heard of huniepop but am enjoying the reviews of it on steam
also posting to piss off mychophobia
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

charlie chong wrote:i'd never heard of huniepop but am enjoying the reviews of it on steam
also posting to piss off mychophobia

why would I be mad? I'm a firm believer that Game Gate should be discussed constantly, and in multiple threads
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It was funny the "anime titty apocalypse" was stayed when Valve looked at the numbers and realized they'd be losing around 60% of their corporation's income if they carried it out.

Funny how cold materialism always beats out "ethics" or other pretend nonsense.
Skykid wrote:progressives
Can you stop using that word incorrectly.

"Social reform" would be like doing something like outlawing slavery, which is still legal. Because we still haven't fixed the 13th amendment.

"Culture reform" is the retarded culture war stuff you're talking about here. The type of person who is fine with one person owning all capital, as long the body that that person occupies is "diverse".

"Symbolic justice warrior", "cause head", or "liberal", please and thank you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I am curiously sated... my innate, barely-controllable gamer bloodlust seems to find a safe punching bag in the doughy face of mundane twat. Does the man even have bones? Image

Mischief Maker wrote:crappy art game "depression quest"
Scam game, Mischief Maker-san. Image
BryanM wrote:The type of person who is fine with one person owning all capital, as long the body that that person occupies is "diverse".
Hooo... BryanM-san, you too know Ascended Super Haraam technique? I must pay more attention to your contests. Image
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Reminder that if Mandine Mott hadn't received that false DMCA, nobody would care about this.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha! Excellent point Sly-san. Image Funny how it all comes back around! Truly, this is what happens when insatiable fraud meets unshiftable lard.
Spoiler
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Let’s not have this conversation again, then.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die