Tänzer - Kickstarter for a new Mega Drive / Genesis game

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
mice

Tänzer - Kickstarter for a new Mega Drive / Genesis game

Post by mice »

Self promoting ftw! 8)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/83 ... lusive-gam

Image Image
Image Image

When I'm done with this, I'll be doing a shmup again. Itching to do the GunSmoke tribute, soooo bad.
neorichieb1971

Re: Tänzer - Kickstarter for a new Mega Drive / Genesis game

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I like the game, I don't like the music. For me it doesn't fit the action.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
mice

Post by mice »

That vid might not do it justice, come to think about it. Because I think it fits just well when playing. And it sounds really megadrivish as well.
If you crank the volume up a bit when playing this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUR7mctYUsc, you might change your mind? Maybe? :D
KAI

Post by KAI »

Like that carriage kissing guyver's ass in the cover. jk, looks really neat, best of luck with the crowdfunding.
mice

Post by mice »

KAI wrote:Like that carriage kissing guyver's ass in the cover. jk, looks really neat, best of luck with the crowdfunding.
He seems to be reacting to the sniffing as well... :?
Thanks!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I'm glad to see that you are working on a MD game project. It reminds me a little of hagane.
I may well back your project to show support.
Which sound engine are you using?
Have you got any level editor support or application software or is it more code and fix, generate data, etc.?
More Bromances = safer people
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Personally I'd say I really dig the music. Game looks cool!

The only thing really throwing me off is the stiff animation between standing up and leaning forward. Maybe at least have two separate attack animations depending on if you're running or standing.
mice

Post by mice »

MintyTheCat wrote:I'm glad to see that you are working on a MD game project. It reminds me a little of hagane.
Have you got any level editor support or application software or is it more code and fix, generate data, etc.?
Thanks! Hagane and its cover art designer are a huuuuge inspiration, yes. That's why there are faces in the game at all.
I'm, doing it in C with https://github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK lib, so whatever sound driver that comes with that is used. :D
Apart from the tile- and object placement editor (which is home made), SGDK comes with a bunch of tools for converting sprites and sounds as well.
Sumez wrote:Personally I'd say I really dig the music. Game looks cool!

The only thing really throwing me off is the stiff animation between standing up and leaning forward. Maybe at least have two separate attack animations depending on if you're running or standing.
Agree. I've been meaning to double the animation frames to the main char for quite some time now, but every time I start my poor animation skills shines through so I rage quit.
Will be hiring someone, he needs to dance properly otherwise I need to rename the game. :wink:
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

MintyTheCat wrote:
I'm glad to see that you are working on a MD game project. It reminds me a little of hagane.

Thanks! Hagane and its cover art designer are a huuuuge inspiration, yes. That's why there are faces in the game at all.
I'm, doing it in C with https://github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK lib, so whatever sound driver that comes with that is used. :D
Apart from the tile- and object placement editor (which is home made), SGDK comes with a bunch of tools for converting sprites and sounds as well.
hagane is a very good game with nice art design I fee - good choice.
The other game with lots of masks and faces would be musha aleste - also decent. I think they have a kind of noh influence.

Yes, I know Stephane and his SGDK project. He bought a UMDK kit from me last year (USB Megadrive Development Kit).

I use Pro Motion and Tiled along wiht my own Level Editor for data generation. I have all my own tools for conversion from the MD Util library and tool but I don't as yet have any support for sound.
I have my own MD prohects but I write in 68K and Z80 ;)
mice

Post by mice »

MintyTheCat wrote: hagane is a very good game with nice art design I fee - good choice.
The other game with lots of masks and faces would be musha aleste - also decent. I think they have a kind of noh influence.

Yes, I know Stephane and his SGDK project. He bought a UMDK kit from me last year (USB Megadrive Development Kit).

I use Pro Motion and Tiled along wiht my own Level Editor for data generation. I have all my own tools for conversion from the MD Util library and tool but I don't as yet have any support for sound.
I just came from doing a C64 game in 6502, so doing something in C was a real relief. Dev time is sooo much shorter. :D
I use tiled a lot every now and then as well, but I almost always revert to doing my own tool to speed up the dev loop at some point.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

mice wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote: hagane is a very good game with nice art design I fee - good choice.

I just came from doing a C64 game in 6502, so doing something in C was a real relief. Dev time is sooo much shorter. :D
I use tiled a lot every now and then as well, but I almost always revert to doing my own tool to speed up the dev loop at some point.
The 6502 is a bit of a chore I agree. 68K is quite nice to use though but not as nice as using an ARM.
Yes, the off the shelf application software can only do so much. I found that although I could encode data into Pro Motion maps for type, collision detection info, etc. it wa sa real chore so you need your own tools eventually on the input side and then later on to generate the data that your game engine uses.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The youtubes audio seemed to blend in more which makes it better.

I may pay the £38 kickstarter for the full cartridge release. Depends on when the cutoff time for this is. I have a lot on my plate right now financially. Would like to see something new on the megadrive.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

neorichieb1971 wrote:The youtubes audio seemed to blend in more which makes it better.

I may pay the £38 kickstarter for the full cartridge release. Depends on when the cutoff time for this is. I have a lot on my plate right now financially. Would like to see something new on the megadrive.
All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Tue, June 26 2018 1:13 PM CEST
I'll back it after I come back from holiday to show support. I am not sure that GBP 2K is going to be enough cash though for this project. I forget how much the PCBs cost me last time I had a batch made and tested and then there's packaging, labels/stickets, etc.
FRO

Post by FRO »

This looks good! Very bright and colorful, with solid action and what appear to be good mechanics. And it appears you blew way past your Kickstarter goal, so that's awesome. I just might pitch in to get a boxed copy :D
mice

Post by mice »

FRO wrote:This looks good! Very bright and colorful, with solid action and what appear to be good mechanics. And it appears you blew way past your Kickstarter goal, so that's awesome. I just might pitch in to get a boxed copy :D
Thanks! Yeah, this whole thing is crazy. Was hoping I could maybe get 30 to be interested, so I set the goal to 44 and then this happens. Super happy puppy! Gives so much energy into the project as well.
MintyTheCat wrote: I am not sure that GBP 2K is going to be enough cash though for this project.
Each boxed pledge is more or less payed on it's own, but when put together like this I can really concentrate on the quality of it.
neorichieb1971 wrote: Depends on when the cutoff time for this is.
KS ends in 26 days, but I'm sure there will be a few extras made at release in February. :)
FRO

Post by FRO »

One question: will the cart be region free and able to work in both PAL and NTSC systems?
mice

Post by mice »

FRO wrote:One question: will the cart be region free and able to work in both PAL and NTSC systems?
Yes, multi region cart. You will get to chose what label etc to be on it, as well.
Trying to mimic the 4 regions as good as possible for both box layout as well as cart label.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I missed the Kickstarter but It seems Tanzer is gonna be in the Mega Cat cart at launch for the Evercade.

mice, how do you feel about the handheld? Was there any input from you? Did they send you a unit to test?
X - P - B