Solo: A Star Wars Story

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Skykid

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Skykid »

So, anyone seen it?

I'd been interested in your SPOILER-FREE thoughts if possible, cos people are dumping on it pretty bad and it has the lowest Rotten Tomatoes aggregate of almost any SW movie.

That *could* be something to do with the Kathleen Kennedy backlash against all the social politics being crammed in, I'm not sure. I know that there's been a bit of a blow-up since Jon Kasdan decided that Lando was suddenly canonically 'pansexual' (which makes no sense) and then started kicking off on Twitter.

But I'd like to know if the movie is actually worth paying for and how you find it compared to Last Jedi.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Marc

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Marc »

Skykid wrote: I know that there's been a bit of a blow-up since Jon Kasdan decided that Lando was suddenly canonically 'pansexual' (which makes no sense) and then started kicking off on Twitter.
Say what?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Marc wrote:
Skykid wrote: I know that there's been a bit of a blow-up since Jon Kasdan decided that Lando was suddenly canonically 'pansexual' (which makes no sense) and then started kicking off on Twitter.
Say what?
It's all over the internet, you didn't hear?

Kennedy and Kasdan have miraculously found a way to make Star Wars even more in line with their politics than ever before. It's kind of like their flagship platform for propagandizing their left wing beliefs.

Anyway, the Lando thing is ridiculous because you can't "canonically" change a character introduced in 1980 without being disrespectful to its creators. I think a lot of people read 'pansexual' as bisexual - and it is that too - but apparently there's almost nothing in the movie that reflects these tendencies. If it wasn't for Kasdan being a bitch on Twitter nobody would care about anything except the movie's (apparent) female lead.

The big question for me is why sexuality has been made an issue in a children's movie. Star Wars had a chivalrous, romantic theme, but you never wondered who the Wookiee was fucking on his day off. It's kind of appalling.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

That's right, think of the children!

Instead of exposing their impressionable minds to a movie where Han Solo is cool being friends with a sexual minority, we instead need a movie where Han Solo is constantly invading a girl's personal space, being touchy and grabby, and ignoring her protests of "let go!" and "stop that!" only for the girl to fall madly in love with him after all that.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mischief Maker wrote:That's right, think of the children!

Instead of exposing their impressionable minds to a movie where Han Solo is cool being friends with a sexual minority, we instead need a movie where Han Solo is constantly invading a girl's personal space, being touchy and grabby, and ignoring her protests of "let go!" and "stop that!" only for the girl to fall madly in love with him after all that.
Wow.

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

So, there's nothing actually in the movie but the director went on a drunken twitter rant declaring things to be so? LOL.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

Ordered my "Soylo: A Soy Wars Story," t-shirt, already a few days ago.
Not seeing this. SJW complete infiltration of Star Wars.
Pissed off for life.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:So, there's nothing actually in the movie but the director went on a drunken twitter rant declaring things to be so? LOL.
I think this short video may be instructive right now.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Mischief Maker wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:So, there's nothing actually in the movie but the director went on a drunken twitter rant declaring things to be so? LOL.
I think this short video may be instructive right now.
That's pretty good, ha.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Not the director, the scriptwriter, Jon Kasdan, son of original Star Wars scriptwriter, Lawrence Kasdan. See it rhymes. Like poetry.

And yes, apparently the movie doesn't have actual suggestive elements about the character, but Kasdan first declared in an interview that he had written the character as 'pansexual', and then responded to folks on Twitter with this:
Jon-I'm-my-father's-dipshit-son-Kasdan wrote:Sorry to have brought identity/gender politics into… NOPE. Not sorry AT ALL ’cause I think the GALAXY George gave birth to in ’77 is big enough for EVERYONE: straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi’lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween. #droidrights #weAREsentient

— Jon Kasdan (@JonKasdan) May 19, 2018
So if you ever wondered if all the identity/gender politics in Star Wars was actually all in your head, now you know it's not. He seems to be enjoying the power.

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Skykid wrote:So if you ever wondered if all the identity/gender politics in Star Wars was actually all in your head
if you are at the point where you make a thread about it while it's not even an actual thing to complain about in a production but only a tweet by some idiot, then one thing's for sure is that it's well installed in yours.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This newfangled Star Wars film, Solo: A Star Wars Story, is the second spin-off film within the SW universe to be released from the likes of Disney & Lucasfilm (not to mention that it's the first time that another SW film has been properly released during the May month that a typical SW film would be released in any given year -- you might recall that it was SW Episode III that was released on the silver screen back in May of 2005 in both 35mm reel version & the rarer Texas Instruments DLP digital projection format that was shown at a handful of movie theaters across the USA courtesy of Lucasfilm themselves -- the lightsaber battles were quite impressive shown in DLP format indeed).

I had the rare chance to see SW Ep. III in both 35mm print and DLP formats and was blown away by how razor sharp the overall film looked in DLP format back in May of 2005.

In this Solo film, according to Lucasfilm, Han Solo is at the young age of 19 and takes place 10 years after the events shown in SW Ep. III: Revenge of the Sith. Solo would be age 9 during that particular point in time. The overall time duration of this Solo movie clocks in at a whopping 2 hours & 19 minutes in it's entirety.

It's a given that the original two directors originally hired to film Solo were given the heave-ho and incoming director Ron Howard given the helm (to direct and re-shoot some certain "key" scenes to move the story along in the way that both Disney and Lucasfilm felt that it needed to be done).

You might recall that the SW films of TFA, TLJ and Rogue One were both presented in 2D and 3D formats respectively. This Solo movie takes the more traditional 2D viewing format and disregards the 3D viewing format altogether this time around -- I was hoping that it would get the 3D treatment like the last three SW films that were released before Solo was but that's not the case here.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Xyga wrote:
Skykid wrote:So if you ever wondered if all the identity/gender politics in Star Wars was actually all in your head
if you are at the point where you make a thread about it while it's not even an actual thing to complain about in a production but only a tweet by some idiot, then one thing's for sure is that it's well installed in yours.
Me? Yeah, I see it as Kennedy having purposeful influence over the franchise and a will to imbue it with her political ideologies. I've just never heard it directly from the horse's mouth.

I actually opened the thread to find out if the movie is any good though, lol.

Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

disney is just going to milk it to death until it finally burns down because sweaty nerds are dumb enough to keep throwing money at it
Skykid wrote:Me? Yeah, I see it as Kennedy having purposeful influence over the franchise and a will to imbue it with her political ideologies.
anything AAA is pozzed these days, nothing but pandering to ultra progressives for cool points so you don't get shit on by the big media
and if it sells like crap, just blame the fans
KAI

Post by KAI »

Can't wait to see a human-wookiee sex scene in the future #Wookieesexual

Thank god I stopped giving a shit about SW 2 decades ago.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

The fearless dan76, is to set to reconnoitre over the weekend, so we will have answers soon.

My Star Wars prediction for Solo: A Star Wars Story; things are going to be far, far, worse than "You Can Possibly Imagine".

"self modifying, owner-less, high functioning AI droids, that self-identify as "female" because as Kasdan said;
"We thought it was more than time for that."

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Bananamatic wrote: anything AAA is pozzed these days, nothing but pandering to ultra progressives for cool points so you don't get shit on by the big media
Yes, that's a good point, but I wonder about something. It's been proven pretty accurately that the number of 'progressives' (let's just call the collective group that for the sake of it to avoid semantics) is actually a lot fewer than the media makes it seem. Star Wars may still make huge bank, but audience response is increasingly tepid.

That is to say, if you were actually pandering to progressives in an attempt to win their favour, it would actually be counter-productive to business. However if you were using political themes as a flashpoint for free publicity and inciting a backlash on purpose, that would be smart business.

My money's on the latter, although the internet informs me Kennedy is a legit radical left-winger so I don't know.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Do we need five star wars threads about every single star wars movie that ever star wars

A nice fellow already started one for this particular 90 minutes of sustained napping: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61809
that the number of 'progressives' (let's just call the collective group that for the sake of it to avoid semantics)
No, we'll call them "cause heads" or "liberals".

Their function is to distract people from ever considering material change. Because they support the system, they'd just like to have someone that looks like them to be one of the four billionaires that own the human species.
but audience response is increasingly tepid
I wonder what zombie franchises kids from the 1800's thought were cool.

Probably nothing, because we had child labor and they were too busy slaving away for a glass of water and a biscuit.

Kind of neat how they're such an easily monetized group of people, no matter the era or level of social development.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Disney Feminists
Spoiler
We apologise for the inconvenience
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

orange808 wrote:Disney Feminists
Spoiler
Which is exactly the problem. We'd have all the same exact problems, the same exact Goldman Sachs ghouls would be in control of the government, the guy that'd be doing John Bolton's job would hold the same beliefs but not openly say them out loud, the Democrats would still be okay with torturing innocent people for no reason not even profit, still be okay with the ever-decreasing minimum wage... but these people don't care, they'd go back to sleep as long as the figureheads in charge aren't quite as douchey.

Ya'all know we have a politics thread for this, right?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Bananamatic wrote:anything AAA is pozzed these days, nothing but pandering to ultra progressives for cool points so you don't get shit on by the big media
I'll take a left-leaning satire like Dredd, that raises questions about the very concept of punishment-based law enforcement, over the earnestly right-wing The Dark Knight Rises (aka. Oops! I was so busy shitting on Occupy Wall Street that I forgot to write any Batman scenes into this Batman movie) any day.

Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Skykid wrote:Yes, that's a good point, but I wonder about something. It's been proven pretty accurately that the number of 'progressives' (let's just call the collective group that for the sake of it to avoid semantics) is actually a lot fewer than the media makes it seem. Star Wars may still make huge bank, but audience response is increasingly tepid.
just look at marvel, it's at the point where you get banned from comic book stores for supporting the "wrong" comics (because apparently they don't need your money)
star wars seems too big to fail though
Mischief Maker wrote:I'll take a left-leaning satire like Dredd, that raises questions about the very concept of punishment-based law enforcement, over the earnestly right-wing The Dark Knight Rises (aka. Oops! I was so busy shitting on Occupy Wall Street that I forgot to write any Batman scenes into this Batman movie) any day.
big difference between doing something because you want to vs making it because it's the cool thing now (and basically mandatory if you don't want to get shit on like Ready Player One)
I don't remember anyone complaining about mace windu or female x-men back in the day
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Skykid wrote:My money's on the latter, although the internet informs me Kennedy is a legit radical left-winger so I don't know.
Its not about money. Its about ideas.
How much bank has the Comic scene lost? How much would have been lost in the games industry, if the co-opters had not been given a swift and decisive bums-rush?
How about the less resilient film franchises? Ghostbusters (2016)
Star wars is perfect camouflage. It makes big money, so no one is talking about how much money it is loosing.

As I said, its about ideas. Hell, look at how fast "The Resistance" showed up, on this page;

HI, FELLAS!

Safety Pins for each one of you, comrades! (except Mischief Maker. I already gave him one.)
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

They're not leaving any significant money on the table. It isn't 1977 anymore.
Bananamatic wrote:I don't remember anyone complaining about mace windu or female x-men back in the day
The first time I remember nerds on the internet complaining about that kind of thing was back just before 2004. So many people were annoyed or angry that you had to play as a black guy in GTA San Andreas.

People get emotionally attached to the weirdest things. My favorite thing in the world is getting shat on for pointing out that Elon Musk can make a rocket that can land itself, but somehow can't build a car with a door handle on it.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

BryanM wrote:The first time I remember nerds on the internet complaining about that kind of thing was back just before 2004. So many people were annoyed or angry that you had to play as a black guy in GTA San Andreas.
and the first thing you do in the game is steal a bike
I liked it way more than the other ones because whitey mafia crime is boring
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Bananamatic wrote: big difference between doing something because you want to vs making it because it's the cool thing now (and basically mandatory if you don't want to get shit on like Ready Player One)
I don't remember anyone complaining about mace windu or female x-men back in the day
The Internet didn't exist back in the 80's/90's. I mean, not in the same way it does today.

Thanks to the Internet, and the interconnectivity of social media (which is even newer), this is the first time in human history that we have a running dialogue of nearly every person on Earth. As a result, many more issues have been given exposure.

For the first time in history!

As a result, we are all going to see artists and writers process this in new ways.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

ZacharyB wrote:As a result, we are all going to see artists and writers process this in new ways.
just don't be surprised when injecting american politics into everything results in people dropping the thing because they don't give a shit about american politics (or they aren't even american in the first place)
Steamflogger Boss

Bananamatic wrote:disney is just going to milk it to death until it finally burns down because sweaty nerds are dumb enough to keep throwing money at it
If various Marvel franchises are any indication, it may just go on and on and on and on....

I'll be honest, I really only care to watch the original three.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Bananamatic wrote:just don't be surprised when injecting american politics into everything results in people dropping the thing because they don't give a shit about american politics (or they aren't even american in the first place)
Having token representation in the bourgeois is really not politics, but a distraction from politics. At least the politics of normal human beings.. When you're a garbage sociopathic rich person this tiny little dot on the culture war is the last frontier that matters.

Normies who live in the real world aren't even aware of this stuff. They just know that Answer the Call was not what they were hoping for or expecting from Ghostbusters 3.

Still made 229.1 million dollars in the theater run alone. More than the ghostbusters fan fiction I threw up on Youtube ever made. The next one they squeeze out will make 250 million dollars. Circle of life, and all that.