Absolutely awful arcade game music

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Durandal

Re: Absolutely awful arcade game music

Post by Durandal »

The Acrobat Mission soundtrack for the arcades

Honey, I accidentally mistook the floppy drive for the guitar sample again
What IS that background noise?
Is this Speed Paintball?
What the fuck is going on anymore?

Like some of these songs are alright in terms of composition, but the instrumentation is absolute dogshit. Compare them to the superior SNES versions:
Stage 1
ST1 Boss
ST3
Compared to the crappy original, it's amazing how much this rocks
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

FinalBaton wrote:
Obscura wrote:Are you sure? Those vibrattos almost sound like quarter-steps or something.
That's a very valid point I think

Vibrato sounds off to me as well. Definitely goes at least a quarter tone both above and below the base tone, which screws up the harmony some during said vibrato
The vibrato is actually only a half-step up and back (harmonically correct) but it's very fast which can screw up the perception in combination with the sound i guess.
And only on 1 note (first of second bar).

Chromatic slides i would never call dissonant, hehe. :P
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i think sally is pretty great too. certainly nothing dissonant about it, not that there's anything wrong with dissonance.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Immryr wrote:not that there's anything wrong with dissonance.
Oh, no doubt. I listen to, and enjoy, plenty of rock and metal (and a bit of electronic/industrial) bands who cleverly use dissonances as a core part of their sound.

Yet, I find the lead instrument in Sally very non-enjoyable/a bit annoying. But as I've said on previous page, I still find the song pretty slick and I like it.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
null1024

Post by null1024 »

gameoverDude wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:Rezon
That has to be one of the top three worst of all time. The first stage BGM loops maybe every 7 seconds, & Stage 5's is rock bottom. Perikles said it sounds like a broken medical monitor. Yeah, that's right.
Stage 2's theme is about four seconds long.
what the fuck

Maybe it was time constraints?
The sound quality is about on par with a music birthday card though, so I'm suspecting that they wanted streamed background music and didn't have the ROM space.
From a quick google search, the hardware seems to be able to address a max of 1MB ROM for PCM data. http://vgmrips.net/wiki/Seta_X1-010
but with a full 1MB ROM, at 8bits, 11025hz, you get a whole minute and 35 seconds of audio, which is drastically longer than the whole soundtrack :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I don't understand the issue with Sally. It's one of the best songs on the soundtrack just behind Vertigo :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I just remembered that even NAOTO had a bad track in his repertoire.
G-Stream G2020 / DeltaZeal Stage 1 Boss
I know that the original board had some tight limitations and that as a result all the tracks in the game have a rather short duration before they loop, but most of them are pretty catchy and well made anyway.
Well, except for this one.
Damn, it really is night and day! Funny how bad instruments can easily ruin a composition.
null1024 wrote:Maybe it was time constraints?
I think it's either that or technical limitations, but the latter hypothesis seems to be invalid according to your search results.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obscura, you better buy me a nice bottle of beer if we ever meet :P I'm the only one who backed you on this, haha
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

null1024 wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:Rezon
That has to be one of the top three worst of all time. The first stage BGM loops maybe every 7 seconds, & Stage 5's is rock bottom. Perikles said it sounds like a broken medical monitor. Yeah, that's right.
Stage 2's theme is about four seconds long.
what the fuck

Maybe it was time constraints?
The sound quality is about on par with a music birthday card though, so I'm suspecting that they wanted streamed background music and didn't have the ROM space.
From a quick google search, the hardware seems to be able to address a max of 1MB ROM for PCM data. http://vgmrips.net/wiki/Seta_X1-010
but with a full 1MB ROM, at 8bits, 11025hz, you get a whole minute and 35 seconds of audio, which is drastically longer than the whole soundtrack :lol:
1 MB ROM, that's it? Maybe that's why Twin Eagle's BGM is such a short loop (22-23 seconds in a stage, 35 for the jet fighter battle).
Daioh uses X1-010 as well, while it still has some good BGM of a decent length. Sho, the BGM composer, seems to have gone with wavetable rather than PCM (a good choice, if the PCM samples burn up 1 MB like that).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Durandal wrote:Acrobat Mission SNES
I never knew it had a SNES port. Is it better regarded than the arcade version is? It looks pretty well made. The soundtrack is definitely WAY better.
trap15 wrote:I don't understand the issue with Sally. It's one of the best songs on the soundtrack just behind Vertigo :)
Yeah, Vertigo, Vertex, Flotage and Sally are all great. I'm not crazy about the "grittier" sound in Stage 2 or the boss/TLB themes though, but DFK BL's soundtrack has some good tunes.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

BrianC wrote:1942. I like the game itself, but that *beeping* music!
The arranged version of it was pretty rad.
BulletMagnet wrote:So ludicrous I had to put it on my iPod.
:lol: x10000
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Yeah, Vertigo, Vertex, Flotage and Sally are all great. I'm not crazy about the "grittier" sound in Stage 2 or the boss/TLB themes though, but DFK BL's soundtrack has some good tunes.
Only song on that OST I like is Presentiment (which is *really* great), but Sally is just the absolute nadir.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Arbalester and Meta Fox, obviously. I know people like to meme about Meta Fox, but seriously.

Saint Dragon is pretty messed up. There are choice songs like the title screen loop and stage 2 theme... and that's about it, the rest are annoying 10/20 second loops.

Blandia is a game to be slotted in with Rezon. There's a story behind these games, I'm sure, but I can't imagine what it is. Right after these, that developer did War of Aero and Mad Shark, which have some decent tunes.

Violent Storm should not be anywhere near this thread.

There's a big difference between "this is terrible" and "I don't like it". Please keep your special snowflake opinion about Halley's Comet or Daifukkatsu Black Label (for fuck's sake) or Nostradamus or whatever out of here, thanks. All it does is lead to pointless bickering over personal favorites instead of talking about busted old arcade games.
Durandal wrote:The Acrobat Mission soundtrack for the arcades
Stage 1 and the ending song were ruined in the SNES versions; actually, the ruined ending song ended up unused anyway. The composition of a few songs was improved; the arcade instruments aren't really worth disrespecting.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
qmish

Post by qmish »

i like PCE music of Saint Dragon's themes more for some reason despite less instruments.

They sound darker imho
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Blandia looks like a sequel to Gladiator, which also has terrible music. One of the "tunes" in Blandia is a remix of a "tune" in Gladiator. Both versions are terrible.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon May 07, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

qmish wrote:i like PCE music of Saint Dragon's themes more for some reason despite less instruments.

They sound darker imho
I like what the programmer did with the stage 1 theme. It's got this lounge-y feeling to it, it's nice.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog