snk announce new hardware

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Despatche

Re: snk announce new hardware

Post by Despatche »

The Japanese design is better.
MintyTheCat wrote:NeoGeo to me was always about offering something better and there was a small but dedicated market for it. I had read that SNK were bought by some chinese company and I'll bet that they aren't interested in maintaining SNK's good name but instead making a fast buck - just like the NeoGeo X back in 2012/13. I have not a lot of faith and it simply reminds me to keep the original hardware.
It's funny because "SNK's good name" became Days of Memories and pachinko garbage. It was "some Chinese company" that wanted them to start making fighting games again.
BrianC wrote:Was there really a need for all 5 Metal Slugs and that many King of Fighters?
Yes. All of the NG Metal Slugs are popular, and those are all the key KOF games that actual KOF players want to see.
BrianC wrote:Real Bout Fatal Fury over Real Bout Special or Real Bout Fatal Fury 2?
I heard 2 was going to be in this. Not sure what's going on there.
bigbadboaz wrote:Well, you know, this was put together by your usual corporate group who happen to own old IP. Little chance that anyone who knows/cares about these games and would understand how to select titles well was involved.
They picked all the key KOFs, the three Samshos that matter, Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes Perfect, etc. Whoever picked this list knew what they were doing.

I don't think it's the final list anyway. Hoping for Fighter's History Dynamite or something. I'm also surprised SvC Chaos isn't on here.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

soprano1 wrote: Looks cute, I guess.
I'll agree. I'm kinda torn on whether to buy it or not. If it's below $100 I just might.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
gct

Post by gct »

Kiken wrote:Well, there it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2II_FVEdQM

I guess the proposed USB3 reissues of the Neo CD pads are cool.
Cute, but no Pulstar or 'Nam :(

Regarding the controller - the button layout looks messed up compared to the original NGCD pads...
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Despatche wrote:
BrianC wrote:Was there really a need for all 5 Metal Slugs and that many King of Fighters?
Yes. All of the NG Metal Slugs are popular, and those are all the key KOF games that actual KOF players want to see.
6 if you include X. I understand that MS is one of the most popular IPs for them, so it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint, but I personally feel like having more than the first 4 is kind of overkill. I would much rather them drop MS5 and Ghost Pilots so they could make room for Cyber Lip and Captain Tomaday. It's too bad we won't be seeing anything ADK (TSS, Crossed Swords), Taito (Puzzle Bobble), or Data East (Magical Drop III).

Seeing this makes me really want to play Blues Journey again though.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

4 and 5 are a pair and should be included or dropped as one.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Square_Air wrote:Data East (Magical Drop III)
Or Windjammers.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Square_Air wrote:It's too bad we won't be seeing anything ADK (TSS, Crossed Swords)
Crossed Swords is on the preliminary game list and World Heroes Perfect is listed, so there is some ADK in there. Ninja Masters and Blue's Journey were also listed.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

is this compatible ?

Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

1. Who the hell is the target audience?

2. Where's the game list?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:1. Who the hell is the target audience?

2. Where's the game list?
The game list is in a youtube link a few posts ago. It's a preliminary list and not final, though. I noticed the JP model has a sticker for Real Bout FF2.

Here is the list:
The King of Fighters ’95
The King of Fighters ’97
The King of Fighters ’98
The King of Fighters 2000
The King of Fighters 2002
Art of Fighting
Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown IV
Samurai Shodown V Special
The Last Blade 2
World Heroes Perfect
Kizuna Encounter
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug X
King of Monsters
King of Monsters 2
Shock Troopers
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Sengoku 3
Ninja Master’s
Top Player’s Golf
Super Sidekicks
Blazing Star
Puzzled
Magician Lord
Robo Army
Crossed Swords
Mutation Nation
3 Count Bout
Last Resort
Ghost Pilots
Football Frenzy
Last edited by BrianC on Fri May 11, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Thanks! No way I'm going to watch a video to get a list that would be much simpler typed out ;)

That is actually a surprisingly good list. Beats the hell out of that horrible Neo Geo X Gold thing or whatever its name was.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm a bit surprised they were able to get Puzzled over here (both in ACA NeoGeo and NeoGeo mini) considering it's based of Tetris.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It doesn't actually use the Tetris license though, does it?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sumez wrote:It doesn't actually use the Tetris license though, does it?
Nope. Plus, the mechanics are fairly different [in particular, blocks actually fall down continuously instead of going down one tile, which really changes things].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

40% Street Fighter 2 clones. It's trippy to think there was a time when that one game was good enough and new enough to support an entire 3rd party console.

I kind of miss having that third wheel with its own culture and focus. Which seems to be a shared sentiment - kind of the dream the Ouya and Atari Box were trying to sell. But it was never the hardware that made the Neo Geo cool - it was the games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:It doesn't actually use the Tetris license though, does it?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but Sega's Bloxeed has a copyright from Tetris despite using a different name. Then again, the latter is Tetris (specifically Sega's version) with power ups. To bad the barely released Megadrive Tetris and the MD Flashpoint proto aren't very good.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

BrianC wrote:
Square_Air wrote:It's too bad we won't be seeing anything ADK (TSS, Crossed Swords)
Crossed Swords is on the preliminary game list and World Heroes Perfect is listed, so there is some ADK in there. Ninja Masters and Blue's Journey were also listed.
Crossed Swords wasn't on the list in the video, so this is a nice surprise. I saw Magician Lord on the list, so I don't know why I thought ADK games were going to be excluded. I also had no idea Blues Journey was ADK, they really have a great library of games. The only question now is why did Twinkle Star Sprites get left behind?
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Square_Air wrote: Crossed Swords wasn't on the list in the video
Actually, it was (AFAIK the list in the video is the same as the one I copy and pasted, but I did see Crossed Swords in the video before I checked for a text version of the list). That's what I referred to as the preliminary list a few posts ago. I don't think the list is bad, but I think it has a few titles like MS 4 and 5, Top Player's Golf, and KoF 2002 that could have been left off in favor of other games. But we'll wait and see for the final list since one of the stickers listed Real Bout 2 and one image of the US version showed Samurai Shodown 1 (though a later image changed it to SS2).
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

BrianC wrote:
Square_Air wrote: Crossed Swords wasn't on the list in the video
Actually, it was (AFAIK the list in the video is the same as the one I copy and pasted, but I did see Crossed Swords in the video before I checked for a text version of the list).
Jesus. Sign me up for a new pair of eyes, I looked at the list 6 times and never noticed it.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/06/16/cl ... ontroller/
"They also noted that the International and Japanese versions of the NeoGeo Mini seem to have a different feeling to the joysticks. The Japanese version is apparently more soft and smoother."
:roll: 2018 and this shit is still being done.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

They might bring out an arcade stick for this. Sounds good.

Hopefully SSV Special in this will be uncensored, like the M-Rated PS4/Vita versions.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

It's up for pre-order here:

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/search? ... ceae0f2603

I cannot envisage anyone using that Joystick for hours on end.
More Bromances = safer people
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

$116.21 for the import (no extras) doesn't look too bad. I'm guessing the USA (international) one might be $100.
They should have made it a bit larger, just enough to have the proper 1 x 4 button layout instead of 2 x 2.

Amazon Japan's prices are 12,420 yen for the unit & 3,000 for a pad.

On the neo-geo forums there are some complaints about it. Someone's saying the pads have analog sticks in them, with no click. Come on... even the Neo-Geo Pocket had a decent stick on it.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I also heard there's no internal battery on the thing. The joystick on the JP console itself looks very plasticky.