snk announce new hardware

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
charlie chong

snk announce new hardware

Post by charlie chong »

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/snk-announc ... geo-titles

could be something good but probably will be crap :lol:
soprano1

Re: snk announce new hardware

Post by soprano1 »

If it's like the Neo Geo X from Tommo, fuck it. In fact, I hope SNKP learned a lesson from that whole debacle.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

we've had decent neo geo emulation for so long. all is needed is a full romset and decent controllers for a product that people will want but they will probably still mess this up
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

charlie chong wrote:we've had decent neo geo emulation for so long. all is needed is a full romset and decent controllers for a product that people will want but they will probably still mess this up
At this point, if people can afford the old hardware and games, go for them. If not, might as well use a MAME variation you like and find the roms for the games you might like. Illegal, but paying for emulator boxes (shitty ones at that), doesn't really go well for me.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Oh yes, the 'Tommo incident' :D I remember all the arguments on the NeoGeo forum and all the delusions. A real missed opportunity on SNK's part and I think most of us felt some what robbed :D

Anyway, let's see how this goes. It's very clear to me that the NeoGeo still has games that are classics. I've played the NeoGeo more than anything else in fact since I got my first AES when I was 19 :D
More Bromances = safer people
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Why would SNK do this? Just keep releasing the Neo-Geo games on PC & consoles. Hopefully this is for arcades.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

soprano1 wrote:If it's like the Neo Geo X from Tommo, fuck it. In fact, I hope SNKP learned a lesson from that whole debacle.
The Switch is a better Neo Geo X than the Neo Geo X.

At this point, SNK really should just re-release the original hardware. Make a "slim" version that's compatible with all the accessories and games... just find a way to implement a digital upscaler into the hardware and have it feature HDMI out. Yeah, it would be expensive, but there is mostly certainly a market for that. Also, release additional print runs of older carts... hell, release collection carts with 4 or 5 older games on them (every other company at the time did this).

Chances are though this'll be some lame mini arcade unit with PC innards running MAME.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Kiken wrote:The Switch is a better Neo Geo X than the Neo Geo X.
I can agree with that! :lol:
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Kiken wrote:
soprano1 wrote:If it's like the Neo Geo X from Tommo, fuck it. In fact, I hope SNKP learned a lesson from that whole debacle.
The Switch is a better Neo Geo X than the Neo Geo X.
Got to agree. Right now it has more NG titles than the NGX's 36. The NGX Gold LE now costs so much that you'd be better off buying Switch instead.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Not to mention the Switch ACA NeoGeo titles actually arrive the same day as the JP versions in the US. Don't know what is up with Sony of America holding back releases compared to other countries.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Doesn't sound like a rom machine to me. Sounds like new hardware to make exclusive sequels on.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

BrianC wrote:Not to mention the Switch ACA NeoGeo titles actually arrive the same day as the JP versions in the US. Don't know what is up with Sony of America holding back releases compared to other countries.
I don't get it neither. Blazing Star is out in some other countries, but where the hell's our release? Damn it, SOA.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

NeoGeo to me was always about offering something better and there was a small but dedicated market for it. I had read that SNK were bought by some chinese company and I'll bet that they aren't interested in maintaining SNK's good name but instead making a fast buck - just like the NeoGeo X back in 2012/13. I have not a lot of faith and it simply reminds me to keep the original hardware.
More Bromances = safer people
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/6/172073 ... lease-date

this is a lot more exciting than a mini tbf but why switch only :x
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

charlie chong wrote:https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/6/172073 ... lease-date

It's the new port console, that's why. :lol:
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Kiken wrote:At this point, SNK really should just re-release the original hardware. Make a "slim" version that's compatible with all the accessories and games... just find a way to implement a digital upscaler into the hardware and have it feature HDMI out. Yeah, it would be expensive, but there is mostly certainly a market for that. Also, release additional print runs of older carts... hell, release collection carts with 4 or 5 older games on them (every other company at the time did this).
This probably wouldn't be nearly as expensive as the original thing ever was, so a lot of people would probably go for it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Marc

Post by Marc »

charlie chong wrote:https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/6/172073 ... lease-date

Meh, I love my retro comps, but that one is a little lacking, especially at Switch prices. I mean really, there's little other than Ikari and Victory Road still worth a proper session these days. I'm still waiting for the Namco one to hit an acceptable price point before I bite. It's nice that they aren't games that have been re-issued a million times over unlike some other comps, but this is a £10.00 impulse buy at most.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

MintyTheCat wrote:NeoGeo to me was always about offering something better and there was a small but dedicated market for it. I had read that SNK were bought by some chinese company and I'll bet that they aren't interested in maintaining SNK's good name but instead making a fast buck - just like the NeoGeo X back in 2012/13. I have not a lot of faith and it simply reminds me to keep the original hardware.
37Games & Orient Securities bought Kawasaki's majority share (a bit over 4/5) of SNK in a joint venture with Leyou Technologies & subsidiary Ledo Millenium for $63.5mil.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Who would win?
NeoGeo ArCade Archives for Switch/XBox One/PS4 or the Neo Geo Mini?
It must have been 40 years of SNK.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/har ... ridge.html
Christ, even a flashcart for the Neo Geo is expensive as fuck. Granted, it's cheap compared to getting the real deal, but still...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/har ... ridge.html
Christ, even a flashcart for the Neo Geo is expensive as fuck. Granted, it's cheap compared to getting the real deal, but still...
Sadly, that was actually cheaper than I expected. Weren't some homebrews over $700?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/har ... ridge.html
It's a really weird niche product on a bonkers niche console... I sorta get why it was made: you have the obscene cost of some of the most sought after games and the fact that just about every cartridge-based console has a flashcart of some sort available. However, anybody that pursues owning an AES goes in knowing full well the considerable cost of the software (even if they choose the less expensive Phantom-1 convertor + MVS carts route).
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Well, there it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2II_FVEdQM

I guess the proposed USB3 reissues of the Neo CD pads are cool.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

what a pile of poop. this is made for people on youtube who already have walls of games they have never played
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'd have been more interested in a physical disc with all the ACA titles released so far. Anything other than this, really.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

the future was 28 years ago
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Someone has put their Switch into a mini-cabinet. SNK should look at that & take a hint. There are already 65 NG games on Switch.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Kiken wrote:Well, there it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2II_FVEdQM

I guess the proposed USB3 reissues of the Neo CD pads are cool.
Odd selection of games. Why Top Player's Golf over Neo Turf Masters? Was there really a need for all 5 Metal Slugs and that many King of Fighters? Real Bout Fatal Fury over Real Bout Special or Real Bout Fatal Fury 2? No Baseball Stars 2?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Well, you know, this was put together by your usual corporate group who happen to own old IP. Little chance that anyone who knows/cares about these games and would understand how to select titles well was involved.

I actually like the idea of a self-contained tabletop cabinet; it's cute and differentiated from the typical plug-n-play TV console. I don't expect to be impressed by the final product though.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »