Sega announced the Sega Mega Drive Mini (tentative tile)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Austin

Re: Sega announced the Sega Mega Drive Mini (tentative tile)

Post by Austin »

bigbadboaz wrote:Hyperkin supposedly has the official molds but IMO the D-pad and buttons are just God awful (materials and feel are far inferior).
True story. It looks the part, but it definitely does not feel it. I recall having d-pad issues typical of cheap after-market garbage, like being able to hit more than two directions on it at a time. People interested in these things, do yourselves a favor and jut shell out the cash for the official Sega six-button controllers from the early/mid '90s, and quit supporting Hyperkin. Their products are trash.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Dunno about "looking the part" either. The console in the high bitrate .jpg there looks nothing like my Genesis did. Maybe in shape, but certainly not in material. Looks like bare black(ish) crap resin, not a bit of gloss on it. It just kind of radiates cheapness. And an extreme lack of Metal.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BryanM wrote:Dunno about "looking the part" either. The console in the high bitrate .jpg there looks nothing like my Genesis did. Maybe in shape, but certainly not in material. Looks like bare black(ish) crap resin, not a bit of gloss on it. It just kind of radiates cheapness. And an extreme lack of Metal.
It's the hyperkin controller that "looks the part", not the megadrive mini. Both don't compare to the real thing.
Austin wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Hyperkin supposedly has the official molds but IMO the D-pad and buttons are just God awful (materials and feel are far inferior).
True story. It looks the part, but it definitely does not feel it. I recall having d-pad issues typical of cheap after-market garbage, like being able to hit more than two directions on it at a time. People interested in these things, do yourselves a favor and jut shell out the cash for the official Sega six-button controllers from the early/mid '90s, and quit supporting Hyperkin. Their products are trash.
Thing is, while it certainly isn't worth it compared to the official MK-1653, I used controllers that make the Hyperkin Genesis controllers look like the MK-1653 in comparison. Innovation's Dreamcast Keyboard with ghost inputs and this cheap sticky and unresponsive knockoff SNES controller come to mind. That said, I did end up buying another MK-1653 since the Hyperkin controller is still not the same.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Austin wrote:quit supporting Hyperkin. Their products are trash.
I have been truly mystified how they, and indeed the entire niche they exist in, have continued to exist all these years.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Sega made another announcement recently. THey arent going to be working with @games on the mini genesis after all. they are going to work with someone else instead.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

personally, I think the Genesis/megadrive mini is going to be another success like the snes mini.

Sega is no longer using @games, they are going to use an experienced developer in japan. they have not yet announced who.

Next - if the amount of games that sega was letting @games use is an indication, expect these systems to have way more games than the nintendo systems.

if they get the rest of the product right it will be a success.
Austin

Post by Austin »

mvsfan wrote:if they get the rest of the product right it will be a success.
Maybe. Or, since there has been such a glut of AtGames Sega devices over the last near decade, no matter how high of quality the official Sega version is, it's possible no one will care.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

GaijinPunch wrote:It really does make one wonder if Sega's marketing is in touch w/ reality. I guess we'll find out when it goes on sale, but they've sat on the IP for ages and then it becomes the largest kickstarter in history.
Maybe that always was the plan.

Maybe that's why they went so hard against Shining Force on YT some years back?

@mvsfan Nice, when did the ATgames ditching happen?!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The PS Classic just proved this market isn't an automatic win. Only Nintendo has the amount of pent-up nostalgia to cause a frenzy like the NES Classic did, and we're now two years out from the mass-market awareness that that phenomenon caused.

As Austin mentioned, throw in the sheer number of crap "Sega" flashbacks that have already been available over the years, and even if Sega gets this really, really right (they won't) I see a mild success at best. There just isn't the same audience to sell into as Nintendo has.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I would have to disagree. everybody had a genesis or a NES back in the day, before the snes came out. after the snes came out a lot of people still bought a genesis.

also the ps classic doesnt have the great pixel art that the genesis has. It has ugly early 3d graphics. Big difference.

it was a very popular system and i think that a lot of people remember it just like the snes.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Huge difference between Sega and Nintendo is that Sega ported their games to almost anything and everything you can think of
Nintendo games however can only be you played on Nintendo consoles
People are probably just sick of all of the same genesis ports. Maybe they should have ported some Saturn games instead.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Sony could of done well with their but messed up on the emulation and not do great selection of games
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

SNES ultimately won out over the Genesis in sales.

Nintendo heritage includes Zelda, Mario, the Mario Karts, and now Smash has mass-market presence. Sega really only had Sonic and we know what has been happening with him over the last 15 years or so.

Said Nintendo heritage extended back into the NES years, touching an extra age bracket and having that much more time invested for nostalgia.

Nintendo's influence continued forward into the N64 and Wii years while Sega sadly floundered and became less and less an influence on the industry. They certainly didn't leave any major childhood memories on the kids growing up in the 64/Wii years.

Of course people in the actual SNES/Genesis generation will also be interested in a Sega. It's all the larger market outside of us that Sega can't tap into - and you need those kind of numbers to create a NES Classic turnout. We won't know until/if Sega releases, but I think the difference in sales potental is quite clear.