Spyro Reignited Trilogy

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Kobayashi

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Post by Kobayashi »

Trailer >> https://youtu.be/3j9o1OptMS8

For me, the three Spyro The Dragon games developed by the Insomniac studio and released for the first PlayStation are among the best games of the genre "Plataform 3D" that I experienced during the 32/64 bit generation, also known as the fifth generation, encompassing the consoles 3DO, Playstation, Saturn, Nintendo 64 and Jaguar, so I was very happy to hear about the return of these three classics in a similar treatment to the well-accepted trilogy "Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy," ( a hit with the public, critics and sales), that is, a remake of three classic games with modern graphics, but keeping the same essence of gameplay and the same charm.

Insomniac is a great studio with a beautiful history of collaboration with Sony, having developed for its consoles besides the series Spyro The Dragon also the great series Ratchet & Clank. And the three Spyro games developed by Insominiac are the raw material of this collection that is being developed by Toys for Bob (Skylanders) and will be published by Activision. The trailer (whose link is above) gives a good idea of what we will see and, from what I've been reading, the production has good values, including the return of the original voice actors.

The launch is expected for September 2018 for PS4 and Xbox One.
Last edited by Kobayashi on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadboaz

Re: Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm interested but the Spyro games never had the profile the Crash series did. You clearly hold them in high esteem - how would you compare them to the Crash games?
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

bigbadboaz wrote:I'm interested but the Spyro games never had the profile the Crash series did. You clearly hold them in high esteem - how would you compare them to the Crash games?
I love the Crash Bandicoot trilogy developed by Naughty Dog, so much that I keep it with esteem in my private collection, just as it also happens with the recent remake. The same goes for Spyro's original trilogy which I also keep in my collection and play from time to time. For me, both series have great quality and are a lot of fun, although I know of the highest level of popularity of Crash Bandicoot games in the days of the first Playstation. However, in my personal opinion, in terms of general quality both series are equivalent, each in its own way.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Cool - maybe I will end up checking these out as well :)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I love the original trilogy too, but Spyro's new design isn't very good. :|
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

New design? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Skylanders Spyro? This is literally an HD version of the original Spyro.

I might check it out, but I'm worried that I might have lost interest in that style of game since I played them as a kid. I don't want to like a game purely because of nostalgia.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I played the first Spyro when I was around 18-19. Recently played through them again 5 years ago at 32. They hold up.

It's a game about looking around nooks and crannies for gems and finding high ground to glide down onto faraway platforms. Enemies don't have "health" but must be defeated with a single, specific hit. Spyro himself can only ever take 3 hits. The atmosphere and especially the music are really good.

I think they changed this up with the two sequels, adding quests and other stuff that made the game fussier.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Lord Satori wrote:New design? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Skylanders Spyro? This is literally an HD version of the original Spyro.
Both this and the Crash update have changes to the art - they're more than just upres jobs. From screenshots, I would agree that both packs have some questionable choices in their "improvements". Not huge issues, but they're there.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

While the remake may not be in the same style, the remake is being done by people who worked on Skylanders' Spyro rather than the people who worked on the original.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BrianC wrote:While the remake may not be in the same style, the remake is being done by people who worked on Skylanders' Spyro rather than the people who worked on the original.
:(
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...