Neo Geo Current State of PC emulation

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Hoagtech

Neo Geo Current State of PC emulation

Post by Hoagtech »

I am trying to get my neo geo x USB controller to work with a neo geo emulator.

My PC recognizes it in devices but in Nebula, no joysticks inputs appear in my key input calibration.

So I tried to install Kawaks which plays games decently but the key input is completely broken and throws a random input into the next slot every time you override the default.

I even tried using a program called JTK (Joy to Key) that mapped my controls to keyboard keys. Didnt work.

After giving up on that I tried MAME. It said all of my rom files were not loadable (error messages) and I stopped there.

My question is. Is there any knowledgeable of NEO geo emulators on Windows 10 that could recommend an ideal scenario to using my NEO Geo X arcade stick?
Copyright 1987
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Neo Geo Current State of PC emulation

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

MAME is the way to go in terms of general ease of use and reliability. The only thing is depending on the version you need to make sure each rom zip file has the needed dependencies, but it's not too hard to verify what files are missing with a version that has a GUI, like MAMEPlus which I'd recommend, where Audit shows exactly what files you need. Just find a repository that has those with a little searching and away you go.

Do you have any native PC games that correctly recognize the controller? Under control panel, when you test the joystick, are the inputs being correctly registered?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Try using Final Burn Alpha. If the control appears as plugged on the usb joystick control panel, it will work perfectly on FBA (that thing recognized even my steering wheel without proper drivers installed).
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I figured out how to play neo geo on MAME thanks to another shmups member.

And playing with the neo geo X arcade stick is amazing.

I would like to eventually stream to my CRT monitor.

How do I go about getting perfect pixels and integer scales?

I am running the latest MAME 64 0196b version on windows 10.

I have a dual gtx 1080 SLI I7 rig

Also is there any benefit to using different video modes like Open GL if I own a modern vidern video card like the gtx 1080?

Copyright 1987
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Hoagtech wrote:How do I go about getting perfect pixels and integer scales?
If you want to output to a CRT, you could probably do one better and get genuine low res with GroovyMAME, which is a whole different can of worms.
Hoagtech wrote:Also is there any benefit to using different video modes like Open GL if I own a modern vidern video card like the gtx 1080?
The video cards are primarily used for shader effects, I think, but the team has been talking about GPU 3D acceleration via the BGFX renderer for quite some time, though there's no guarantee that they'll start work on it anytime soon.

And rumor has it that certain games are less resource-intensive with the OpenGL renderer. I've never played with it myself, since I have crappy integrated graphics, but it might be worth your time.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:How do I go about getting perfect pixels and integer scales?
If you want to output to a CRT, you could probably do one better and get genuine low res with GroovyMAME, which is a whole different can of worms.
Hoagtech wrote:Also is there any benefit to using different video modes like Open GL if I own a modern vidern video card like the gtx 1080?
The video cards are primarily used for shader effects, I think, but the team has been talking about GPU 3D acceleration via the BGFX renderer for quite some time, though there's no guarantee that they'll start work on it anytime soon.

And rumor has it that certain games are less resource-intensive with the OpenGL renderer. I've never played with it myself, since I have crappy integrated graphics, but it might be worth your time.
I didnt notice a difference between groovy mame and mame. I did not see any options to effect scaling or video output resolution in either program. until I can get the resolution output set I dont even want to ask about scanline compatibility.
Copyright 1987