Pig Eat Ball (OUT NOW, PC/Mac/Linux) Adventure "Eat-em Up"

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MommysBestGames

Pig Eat Ball (OUT NOW, PC/Mac/Linux) Adventure "Eat-em Up"

Post by MommysBestGames »

FULL GAME, Out Now
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339090 (Has Demo)
Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/pig-eat-ball
Green Man Gaming: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/pig-eat-ball-pc/
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/pig-eat-ba ... emo-apr16b
itch.io (DRM-FREE version): https://mommysbestgames.itch.io/pig-eat-ball-demo

Hi all,
I wanted to show you latest, upcoming game. I started working on this game in 2013. It's finally coming out this summer in 2018!
If you like Super Mario Galaxy, Ape Escape 2, or Katamari Damacy, you may be into this!
Pig Eat Ball is a giant, top-down action-adventure game with a unique mechanic.

The gameplay is like Pac-Man, but the twist is, you get fatter while you eat.

But it's not a traditional arcade game, it's a classically-styled action-adventure.
You complete individual levels by figuring out how to eat all the balls.
Beating levels unlocks overworld sections, and progresses the story.
It's all hand-made (it's not procedural and not a rogue-like).

There are 5 unique worlds. When you get to a new world, there's all new gameplay and art.

There are over 200 levels, 20 overworld sections, 10 bosses, and cool "disguise" powerups which change how you look and give you special powers.

The single-player plays for about 8-16 hours, depending on how much you explore. There's a story cut-scene about every 1 hour.

There's also a party mode, and even a level editor.
It will release on Steam, itch.io, PS4, and Xbox One later this summer.

I am running a crowd-funding campaign on Fig, to finish the game up properly and not slack on QA or localization.
You can find it here: http://www.fig.co/campaigns/pig-eat-ball
Please consider backing it. The crowd-funding ends April 12th.

You can treat it like a pre-order, and you can get cool stuff like a sweet T-shirt and more!
Backing it on Fig very much helps us.
Thank you for considering it. And please tell your friends that would enjoy an action-adventure with an arcade vibe!
-Nathan
Last edited by MommysBestGames on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
BulletMagnet

Re: Pig Eat Ball (DEMO available)

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not directly related, but happened across this and figured it (and this project) deserved a bit more attention.
MommysBestGames

The demo is up now on itch.io.
https://mommysbestgames.itch.io/pig-eat-ball-demo
DRM-free, with no Steam leaderboards, etc. (Steam version on the way).

Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, so I finally got off my duff (or, more accurately, got on it) and gave the demo a go ("Adventure" mode only) - I'd played an older version some time back, so certain stuff came back to me, while other elements were unfamiliar. Anyways, a handful of thoughts:

- I'll always have a soft spot for that weirdly endearing, slightly disturbing art style of yours. The one nitpick I have here is that the animation quality comes off as a bit uneven; using more limited frames doesn't necessarily look objectively "worse" here, but certain elements (the clams in particular) strike me as noticeably stiffer-looking than critters with more variety to their movements (mind you, not that there's a heckuva lot you can make a clam do). In terms of sound, I'd personally like to see the goofy cartoon sound effects given even more prominence - go full Crash Bandicoot!

- I like having little hidden bonuses to search out on the overworld (never did figure out how to make those darts do anything useful, though); out of curiosity, is it possible to "grind" earlier areas for additional "stocked" powerups, or is there a limited overall number of them to obtain? I'd also dig having additional story/humor tidbits, or even a hidden level or two, hidden for thorough explorers to find instead of just the items. Speaking of items, I didn't see an explanation anywhere of what each did, did I overlook it?

- The game plays well on my third-party 360 controller, though sometimes I found it just a bit difficult to precisely tell if a ball would be affected by my suction, or if I was facing a ball directly enough to gobble it; it's nothing major, but perhaps a handful of visual options, like making a ball change color when being sucked, would be handy at least for getting familiar with the mechanics. Maybe making barfies flash a little before reverting to yummies would be good too.

- Speaking of options, would the "particle effect" and "barf amount" settings be better-suited for the "video" submenu instead of "gameplay?" That's where I tend to look for stuff relating to performance (mind you, the things ran fine on my non-gaming laptop, so it'll probably be good on most machines)...also, is it my imagination, or was the default game speed set to "1.1"? I also didn't see an option to turn controller rumble off, adding that would be appreciated.

- After finding the fake lips it took me awhile to figure out that I could scroll farther up the disguise list to the default glasses and "turn off" disguise effects, so perhaps listing the first costume you find right next to the glasses might make that clearer. I might also suggest highlighting the "zoom" function a bit earlier, it might have prevented a couple of annoying hits in the "dudes with drills" level in particular. It also took me a bit to grasp that except in levels that limit how many hits you can take you really can't "die", and can even use hazards to finish faster; you might consider rephrasing the tutorial language there.

- When replaying a sub-level to improve one's time, after finishing it the only options are "retry" and "next", with no way to return to the stage menu if you only want to play one particular area. On a minor note, I think the name/title of each level should be displayed as you select it, and not just after completing it, it's too easy to overlook those as it is.

- One possible bug on the dual-wielding beer stein boss; once he threw the stein, but it stopped (not at a tap, just kind of against a wall) and wouldn't return to him, so I had to restart the level. Only happened once, so not sure what might have triggered it.

- What a better world we'd live in if every game had a "don't suck" button. :P

That covers most of what I could think to mention, let me know if anything needs to be elaborated on. Looking forward to the full game!
MommysBestGames

BulletMagnet wrote: - I'll always have a soft spot for that weirdly endearing, slightly disturbing art style of yours. The one nitpick I have here is that the animation quality comes off as a bit uneven; using more limited frames doesn't necessarily look objectively "worse" here, but certain elements (the clams in particular) strike me as noticeably stiffer-looking than critters with more variety to their movements (mind you, not that there's a heckuva lot you can make a clam do). In terms of sound, I'd personally like to see the goofy cartoon sound effects given even more prominence - go full Crash Bandicoot!
Glad you enjoy the art!

For the detail on the clams... they actually show up in 3 "incarnations". One is the world-map, one is when you talk to them close up (before a level starts), and the final one is when they show up and spit the pearl.
Did any one in those particular stand out as needing more work or did they all 3 seem stilted?
Thanks for explaining.
BulletMagnet wrote:- I like having little hidden bonuses to search out on the overworld (never did figure out how to make those darts do anything useful, though); out of curiosity, is it possible to "grind" earlier areas for additional "stocked" powerups, or is there a limited overall number of them to obtain? I'd also dig having additional story/humor tidbits, or even a hidden level or two, hidden for thorough explorers to find instead of just the items. Speaking of items, I didn't see an explanation anywhere of what each did, did I overlook it?
1. The overworlds in the main game have lots of little puzzles and things to sort out.
Something not in the demo, but I may add to the demo is NPCs! There's at least 4 NPCs in each main overworld (20 overworlds total, 5 unique settings) so there's plenty of silly things going on there.
2. You can't grind items. It plays like Super Mario Bros Wii. Basically if you get all the items in an area, and then use them up, you can talk to a creature (think Toad from Mario) and he resets the items eventually. Also, there's a cap on each powerup type. Those powerups are one-time-use. So use them on a level you're having trouble with. The powerups aren't explained... I thought people would get their uses through actually using them. And often they are inside an action-level already. Maybe I'll put it on the powerup menu.

The disguises of course, are permanent powerups and all unique.
BulletMagnet wrote:- The game plays well on my third-party 360 controller, though sometimes I found it just a bit difficult to precisely tell if a ball would be affected by my suction, or if I was facing a ball directly enough to gobble it; it's nothing major, but perhaps a handful of visual options, like making a ball change color when being sucked, would be handy at least for getting familiar with the mechanics. Maybe making barfies flash a little before reverting to yummies would be good too.
Hmmm... I'm a little confused exactly about what was causing trouble here. I know it's a pain, but would you happen to be able to record a video and talk over it, and sort of .. show me gameplay-while-talking exactly what is the problem? That is, if you can do some video, and show the part like "ah, there! That feels like I should have gotten it" or something like that.. if I could see it all together, I may be able to understand what's up.
BulletMagnet wrote:- Speaking of options, would the "particle effect" and "barf amount" settings be better-suited for the "video" submenu instead of "gameplay?" That's where I tend to look for stuff relating to performance (mind you, the things ran fine on my non-gaming laptop, so it'll probably be good on most machines)...also, is it my imagination, or was the default game speed set to "1.1"? I also didn't see an option to turn controller rumble off, adding that would be appreciated.
Yes, it runs at 110% speed. It just feels better! But people can change it. I don't want to reset it for fear of messing a lot more stuff up. :)

Yeah, good idea on the barf-particle menu thing.

Weird.. we had a controller rumble option! And now it's missing... <goes to check why> :)
Thanks for finding that.
BulletMagnet wrote:- After finding the fake lips it took me awhile to figure out that I could scroll farther up the disguise list to the default glasses and "turn off" disguise effects, so perhaps listing the first costume you find right next to the glasses might make that clearer. I might also suggest highlighting the "zoom" function a bit earlier, it might have prevented a couple of annoying hits in the "dudes with drills" level in particular. It also took me a bit to grasp that except in levels that limit how many hits you can take you really can't "die", and can even use hazards to finish faster; you might consider rephrasing the tutorial language there.
Good points.. I will look into them.
BulletMagnet wrote:- When replaying a sub-level to improve one's time, after finishing it the only options are "retry" and "next", with no way to return to the stage menu if you only want to play one particular area.
Back button on finish screen... in the current demo there is now a "Done" button after you are replaying levels, once you've gotten the pearl. That was in a recent demo update.
BulletMagnet wrote:On a minor note, I think the name/title of each level should be displayed as you select it, and not just after completing it, it's too easy to overlook those as it is.
I'm confused, where should the names be displayed? You'll have to explain. As it stands, once you've beaten a clam, then try him again, he'll pop up a list of level names.
BulletMagnet wrote:- One possible bug on the dual-wielding beer stein boss; once he threw the stein, but it stopped (not at a tap, just kind of against a wall) and wouldn't return to him, so I had to restart the level. Only happened once, so not sure what might have triggered it.
About how long did the beer stein "stay stuck" against the wall? 1 second? 5 seconds? Longer?
Thanks.
BulletMagnet wrote: - What a better world we'd live in if every game had a "don't suck" button. :P
Ha!
Thanks a lot of the detailed playthrough.
I appreciate it!
MommysBestGames

Steam demo is out now too: (itch.io demo is above)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/339090
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

MommysBestGames wrote:Did any one in those particular stand out as needing more work or did they all 3 seem stilted?
What caught my attention most notably, for whatever it's worth, was the 2-frame open mouth/closed mouth animation when you talk to them close-up, though again, it's not that this style "looks bad", but when compared to the main character in particular - I was giddy when I saw that her face gets slightly more "smushed" as your dash gets faster - the contrast is somewhat unfavorable, at least to my eye. As I said, it's not really fair to compare the playable protagonist with glorified stage markers (especially when clams don't do much more than open and shut anyway), and this definitely shouldn't be a priority on your end, but I did feel I ought to at least give it a mention.
Something not in the demo, but I may add to the demo is NPCs! There's at least 4 NPCs in each main overworld (20 overworlds total, 5 unique settings) so there's plenty of silly things going on there.
The more world-building silliness for this provocative, epic narrative the better. :) Off to the side, I couldn't help wondering if The Dean was a Discworld reference...
The powerups aren't explained... I thought people would get their uses through actually using them.
Now that you've noted that powerups are somewhat limited I'd say that at least some manner of usage explanation (even a vague/humorous one) is warranted; speaking only for myself, I'm utterly terrible at hoarding things for the "right moment" that never arrives, because even when I'm tempted to utilize something I wonder "what if something else comes later where I'll need it even more than I do now?" and that goes double when I'm not even sure exactly what I've got (I did figure out some of the stuff I found in the stages, as you intended, though offhand I have no idea what the peppermint candy did when I picked it up).
I know it's a pain, but would you happen to be able to record a video and talk over it, and sort of .. show me gameplay-while-talking exactly what is the problem?
I wish I could, but unfortunately have never recorded anything on this laptop (or elsewhere), and am rather apprehensive at how it might react if I tried...I don't know how much feedback you're getting from other sources, but if I'm the outlier in this department feel free to take that bit with a grain of salt, maybe I just need a bit more time to familiarize myself with the game's feel, and none of the awkwardness was game-breaking or anything like that.
Yes, it runs at 110% speed. It just feels better! But people can change it. I don't want to reset it for fear of messing a lot more stuff up.
Perhaps overthinking a bit here, but would this factor affect the leaderboards any, and perhaps require separate boards or limitations on what settings qualify for uploading?
I'm confused, where should the names be displayed?
I mean right before the stage starts, where the clear goal is displayed ("eat 10 yummies", etc.); at least in my version of the demo the stage name doesn't appear there (or anywhere, until you've cleared it); this is another really minor thing, but if a dev goes to the trouble of naming individual levels I like to see them displayed a bit more prominently than they are here, it helps "set the stage" (or maybe "the mood" is a more apt way to phrase it?) a bit better IMO.
About how long did the beer stein "stay stuck" against the wall? 1 second? 5 seconds? Longer?
I'd guess it was at least a good 10-15 seconds before I ended up running into the boss in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get things moving, and probably another 5-10 seconds after that before I suicided and started the stage over.

Hope that helps a bit!
MommysBestGames

Thanks BulletMagnet, all this helps tremendously.
BulletMagnet wrote:Perhaps overthinking a bit here, but would this factor affect the leaderboards any, and perhaps require separate boards or limitations on what settings qualify for uploading?
Okay! We looked into this.. and --funny story--the gameplay speed feature is broken in that build of the menu!
We're working on a fix!
In the meantime, what we do for the leaderboards is, if you don't use the default speed, then it won't post to the leaderboards. I've done this in my past games and it works pretty well. Or we have separate leaderboards for each speed.
BulletMagnet wrote: I mean right before the stage starts, where the clear goal is displayed ("eat 10 yummies", etc.); at least in my version of the demo the stage name doesn't appear there
Clearly I need to improve the readability, because the stage name shows as the level itself is starting.. it's at the top of the screen then goes away. Maybe I'll drop it down some so people can see it more easily.
womentake

Post by womentake »

Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favourite games so far. I checked profile on steam and it seems really cool. I already added it to my wishlist. Looking forward to see it released soon :) Will make my summer better tho.
MommysBestGames

Re: Pig Eat Ball (OUT NOW, PC/Mac/Linux)

After 5.5 years in development Pig Eat Ball is finally live!
Original action, adventure, exploration, and puzzle gameplay. If you've played something by me before, you know it's gonna be weird, original, but also FUN!

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339090 (Has Demo)
Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/pig-eat-ball
Green Man Gaming: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/pig-eat-ball-pc/
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/pig-eat-ba ... emo-apr16b
itch.io (DRM-FREE version): https://mommysbestgames.itch.io/pig-eat-ball

Giant bosses, 200+ action levels, 20 overworlds to explore, and more!

First big review gave it a 9/10!
Pig Eat Ball is easily one of the best games I’ve played this year. Hell, it’s just a great game in general. Anyone who enjoys zany, creative games will probably find a whole lot to like here. In the end, this is an extremely fun, lengthy, and unique experience, and I’ve never seen anything quite like it before.
Lots of detail: https://www.pcinvasion.com/pig-eat-ball ... -in-space/

Price is $14.99, but has a 10% launch discount to make your weekend even better!
Remember, just refund it if you hate it! No hard feelings.
Thanks all!
BulletMagnet

Re: Pig Eat Ball (OUT NOW, PC/Mac/Linux) Adventure "Eat-em U

Post by BulletMagnet »

Just left a review for this on Steam - congrats on the launch! :)
MommysBestGames

Thank you sir!
Fantastically detailed review. Lovely to read.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

oh nice! I'll grab this while I go get zeroranger.

Hope sales do well
guigui

Post by guigui »

Looks great and fresh new gameplay can be appreciated here. Any news on the console versions ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
MommysBestGames

Thank you for saying.
Yes! The PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game are being porting currently.
Release date to be announced in a bit! Let's just say console versions within 6 months.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Awesome, looks great, I'll be all over the PS4 release.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
guigui

Post by guigui »

Great news for console release.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Console release date is October 18th.
MommysBestGames

Hi all, this is for console players that enjoy a puzzle-based, maze-based, action-adventure that isn't a platformer...
Pig Eat Ball barfs onto consoles on October 18th, but you can pre-order now!

Switch https://tinyurl.com/y5bs3fjk
XB1 https://tinyurl.com/y2ec4spg
PS4 https://tinyurl.com/y4vdxo8l

Happy October!