shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 1384
Location: Coral Springs, FL
I imagine someone here will be glad to know about this, in case it goes Out Of Print like Bubblegum Crisis did.

Image
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... escription
_________________
Image
heli wrote:
Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3630
Location: Québec City
Yassssss

I expected this to be a thing in 2018 for AnimEigo, since Robert had hinted at it. But yeah, stoked that it's happening


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
I posted this in the anime thread but probably should have made a thread for it. But yeah, I backed at premium + goodie.
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:33 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3630
Location: Québec City
Doh! didn't see your post steamflogger!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
Eh this deserves a thread for sure. Draws more attention to it with the thread title. Expecting another excellent release. They have come a long way since those old Macross dvds, heh.
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3630
Location: Québec City
Yeah those last blu ray remasters are high quality stuff! I got the Bubblegum Crisis basic set a couple months after the kickstarter campaign, and I treasure that very much. Very well done.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:15 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 3569
Location: Chicago, IL
I missed out on Bubblegum Crisis (lack of BD player at the time). But my love for this OVA set and love of mah hometown is not going to allow me to pass this up. The dub of this always impressed me with its quality as well.
_________________
Image
DEMON'S TILT [bullet hell pinball] - Music Composer || EC2151 ~ My FM/YM2612 music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
FinalBaton wrote:
Yeah those last blu ray remasters are high quality stuff! I got the Bubblegum Crisis basic set a couple months after the kickstarter campaign, and I treasure that very much. Very well done.


I backed BGC and Riding Bean. Picked up Otaku No Video later. Riding Bean honestly was not great value for the content you got, being just one episode. I did have fun watching it though.

@Ing: Dang, it's really good. Too bad it's stupidly priced now in the secondary market. :/
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 1384
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Yeah, their remasters are incredible. I jumped on BGC instantly on general principle, and I owned the DVDs.
(Still do)

Wasn't a big fan of Riding Bean or Otaku no Video, and I own the VHSes(yeah). I've never seen Gunsmith Cats, which I intend to fix now. I think I'm happy with $30 and maybe paying extra for the artbook goodie.

Also, Riding Bean is more like a short film/OAV than an episode. (Basically a prequel to this, too)
_________________
Image
heli wrote:
Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7201
Location: MD
This looks interesting. Too bad I missed out on the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-rays. I rented the DVDs and enjoyed it quite a bit.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
I really like Otaku no Video, but it's weird.

Gunsmith Cats is more or less the continuation of Riding Bean, only it switches who the main character is if memory serves. I'll be rewatching it once I get it.

@CJ: Yeah, it was supposed to be an oav series, but some crap happened and it didn't come to be.

The BGC blus were available after the KS ended. I don't think it was very widely advertised though and it was through their webstore. As soon as they ran out, the prices went to crap.
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 628
Location: Sweden
I happy with all the remasters I've got from AnimEigo so far and this looks promising as well.
However I do kind of wish they would spend less time and resources on making all this fluff content like new manga pages, Buff car models and Misty figures and so on.
I realize there is a group of people that will spend the money for that stuff (I buy the artbooks myself) but I would greatly prefer a quicker release schedule for more titles and not so much this focus on making this really crazy special edition.

Like, Riding Bean is cool. But it's just a one-off OVA and it doesn't need so much stuff around it :mrgreen:
_________________
CHECKPOINT!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 1384
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Ji-L87 wrote:
I happy with all the remasters I've got from AnimEigo so far and this looks promising as well.
However I do kind of wish they would spend less time and resources on making all this fluff content like new manga pages, Buff car models and Misty figures and so on.
I realize there is a group of people that will spend the money for that stuff (I buy the artbooks myself) but I would greatly prefer a quicker release schedule for more titles and not so much this focus on making this really crazy special edition.

Like, Riding Bean is cool. But it's just a one-off OVA and it doesn't need so much stuff around it :mrgreen:


I guess they have the same problem most super successful KSes do: too much money. I wish they'd stop adding stretch goals too, since that ALWAYS complicates things, but oh well. If it were me, I'd throw it at Sonoda to make a bigger manga for the release, or stash it in the bank to license Urusei Yatsura from Rumiko Takahashi.
_________________
Image
heli wrote:
Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
I think it's more likely that Discotek gets Urusei Yatsura. A kickstarter would be really ambitious, and a lot of money to put down at once. Whereas Discotek could put out a few sets. Either way I do hope someone gets it.
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 1384
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Is there any precedent for them getting the rights to UY? I never even heard of them...
_________________
Image
heli wrote:
Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
That's actually kind of surprising, they have over 200 releases now. They mostly put out older anime, including recently Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer, which is on a separate license. Anyway they mentioned wanting to do the rest.

http://discotekmedia.com/catalog.htm
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 4911
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
They're basically the only American company putting out classic anime at this point that doesn't involve a KS. They've been around a long time now, but really started to focus on anime the past couple of years.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3630
Location: Québec City
Discotek are pretty great! Only little gripe I have with them is that in the last few years they've sometimes released an anime on dvd... only to re-release the same anime on blu ray a year or 2 later :lol: making fans open their wallet again and double-dip. Why not release the blu ray straight away, man! What the hell :cry: Naughty, naughty Discotek! :twisted:

They've listened to me and released Hokuto no Ken as SD on BD for a more compact and cheaper package, though! which is awesome! I'm sure other people asked for it, but I like to think that I had a hand in this happening :mrgreen:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
FinalBaton wrote:
Discotek are pretty great! Only little gripe I have with them is that in the last few years they've sometimes released an anime on dvd... only to re-release the same anime on blu ray a year or 2 later :lol: making fans open their wallet again and double-dip. Why not release the blu ray straight away, man! What the hell :cry: Naughty, naughty Discotek! :twisted:

They've listened to me and released Hokuto no Ken as SD on BD for a more compact and cheaper package, though! which is awesome! I'm sure other people asked for it, but I like to think that I had a hand in this happening :mrgreen:


They announced Lupin the 3rd Part IV and the initial release is just the dub with a sub only release to come. However apparently this was forced by the license: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 2236762114 Unfortunate but what can you do, I'll be getting this initial release.

Looks like they plan to do a lot of SD on BD going forward. Marmalade Boy on 3 discs is coming and they just announced Monster Rancher which will be on two discs.
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 4911
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Yeah, I get it, happens to me a lot and bums me out. I've been getting really bummed with Blurays getting released multiple times with better transfers, oftentimes from the same company even. All part of it, though. Usually depends on available sources, if the transfer is outsourced or done in house, etc. Discotek seems to rely on Japanese transfers, so you'll only see a Bluray of something if it has been done in Japan.

Personally I'm a little less picky with animation. New DVDs still look amazing through upconversion on a BD player.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 526
Why no Germany, ffs??

I mean, I get it. Somebody else has the license, but why keep it when you don't use it...?
_________________
GaijinPunch wrote:
I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 628
Location: Sweden
Teufel_in_Blau wrote:
Why no Germany, ffs??

I mean, I get it. Somebody else has the license, but why keep it when you don't use it...?


So, are you unable to import it or what? I tried the kickstarter page but was too tired to make sense of that part.
_________________
CHECKPOINT!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 1384
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
That's actually kind of surprising, they have over 200 releases now. They mostly put out older anime, including recently Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer, which is on a separate license. Anyway they mentioned wanting to do the rest.

http://discotekmedia.com/catalog.htm

Awesome. I have seen a few of their releases, namely Game Center. Interesting they got the rights to NieA... I have the Pioneer release.
_________________
Image
heli wrote:
Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Posts: 1324
Location: Florida
The Bubblegum Crisis release was very good on BD. It's a shame, I don't really use physical media anymore for movies.

Who wants my standard Bubblegum Crisis BD edition that isn't crap?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 3569
Location: Chicago, IL
Domino wrote:
The Bubblegum Crisis release was very good on BD. It's a shame, I don't really use physical media anymore for movies.

Who wants my standard Bubblegum Crisis BD edition that isn't crap?


EmperorIng wrote:
I missed out on Bubblegum Crisis (lack of BD player at the time).


:wink: Maybe if you don't mind waiting a few days and have a good offer :wink:
_________________
Image
DEMON'S TILT [bullet hell pinball] - Music Composer || EC2151 ~ My FM/YM2612 music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Posts: 1324
Location: Florida
EmperorIng wrote:
Domino wrote:
The Bubblegum Crisis release was very good on BD. It's a shame, I don't really use physical media anymore for movies.

Who wants my standard Bubblegum Crisis BD edition that isn't crap?


EmperorIng wrote:
I missed out on Bubblegum Crisis (lack of BD player at the time).


:wink: Maybe if you don't mind waiting a few days and have a good offer :wink:


PM to you.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 3386
Location: Villa Straylight
what's so good about dis animu?
_________________
ImageImage
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 628
Location: Sweden
Blinge wrote:
what's so good about dis animu?


It's a decent girls with guns show that is short enough to easily sit through in one afternoon. It's got good music and in general great animation and sound recording, that's about it.
It won't blow you away but it's a nice, uncomplicated dose of oldschool action anime. Oh, and it does have hand drawn vehicles. I guess the general hand drawn-ness is a big draw for me.
_________________
CHECKPOINT!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3630
Location: Québec City
Ji-L87 wrote:
It's a decent girls with guns show that is short enough to easily sit through in one afternoon. It's got good music and in general great animation and sound recording, that's about it.
It won't blow you away but it's a nice, uncomplicated dose of oldschool action anime. Oh, and it does have hand drawn vehicles. I guess the general hand drawn-ness is a big draw for me.


Very well said Ji. Short(which I like) oldschool anime fun. Oh and yes x100 his car drawings are sexy af


Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 1725
Location: Eating the Rich
Ji-L87 wrote:
Oh, and it does have hand drawn vehicles. I guess the general hand drawn-ness is a big draw for me.


Hell yeah.

Not sure if you are much for Gundam or not but Char's Counterattack...dem hand drawn robots...
_________________
Thinking of buying a Super SD System 3? Maybe not the best idea.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group