Far Cry - yay or nay?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

best Far Cry game?

Never played em'
14%
Far Cry
19%
Far Cry 2
14%
Far Cry 3
14%
Far Cry Blood Dragon
5%
Far Cry 4
No votes
Far Cry Primal
10%
F*** this series, it's dumb
24%

Total votes: 21

JBC

Far Cry - yay or nay?

Post by JBC »

I normally don't do first person shooters but this series is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine. With the fifth main entry set to arrive soon I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the games. My personal favorite is the criminally underrated Far Cry Primal for it's bold decision to eschew guns in favor of a fresh gameplay experience. I'm also a big fan of Far Cry 2 for it's brutal setting & weird atmosphere. Would love a remaster or remake of that game.

I'm not very interested in the Montana setting of 5 but I'm sure the game will still be fun. It's really the map editor that has me sold.
Godzilla was an inside job
yojo!

Re: Far Cry - yay or nay?

Post by yojo! »

I usually don't like FPS but I played Far Cry 2 to death; I had high hope for Far Cry 3 but got very disappointed with it; I felt like the franchise was going backward so I stopped there and did not buy the follow up. I hope/wish that the new one renew with Far Cry 2's game play.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I used to love the Far Cry. Not sure how I would feel about it today. The lush jungles and the generally open areas made it feel really special compared to anything else I played at the time, except for the endgame where you started spending more time in buildings and science complexes.

Before getting *ahem* a hold of the full game, I use to spend hours just tooling around in the demo, because it was a great map that had different ways you could approach things.

Never played 2.

Wanted to play 3 but Uplay got in the way. I have a uplay account nowadays so I should maybe try again.

Crysis I played a bit of at a friends house because my machine was way to slow at the time and they remain the games I most want to sit down with today.
CHECKPOINT!
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

The orogibal Far Cry was the one game I played in a kinda difficult time in my life and basically engrossed me so much I forgot the trouble when playing that.
So Far Cry: Yay! :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Really enjoyed the tech of the first game and it was a breath of fresh air at the time. Now, unfortunately, it as much as anything has led to the current state of EVERYTHING MUST BE AN OPEN WORLD!!!

Combine that general fatigue with it being one of the prime victims of Ubisoft annualization and I'm pretty over it. The cultist Montana setting of the latest seems an expecially poor choice as well.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

bigbadboaz wrote:Really enjoyed the tech of the first game and it was a breath of fresh air at the time. Now, unfortunately, it as much as anything has led to the current state of EVERYTHING MUST BE AN OPEN WORLD!!!
Yep, the homogenization of video games.
JBC

Post by JBC »

The only one I really don't like is 3. The protagonist sucks so hard & his friends are equally grating. There's dumb Alice in Wonderland quotes & tattoos are a huge theme in the game. It's way too directed at edgy teens. It's the only one I've yet to complete, but I did reclaim all the outposts in the main map. Also we already did a tropical island in this series, way to throw off the symmetry.

4 helped to regain my interest. It's setting & characters are much more likable, original & refreshing. Then there's Primal, which is the best game in the series IMO. I don't think most people gave it enough of a chance but once you play for awhile you realize it's the smartest entry. It seems like a lot of people are going back to give it a better chance lately. Incredible game.
drauch

Post by drauch »

They're fun for a bit, but I think they grow stale. I like 'em in concept, but I would much rather just see a solid, linear game in their lush tropical jungles. Like I'm all for just killing endless henchmen pirates/terrorists or whatever, but what really spoiled Farcray 1 and Crysis for me was the eventual shoehorning of an alien-like menace. I like killing aliens just the same, but don't throw them in halfway for plot twist. But yeah, think at this point I'm just done, regardless.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Marc

Post by Marc »

I thought I'd enjoyed the first one way back, then realised that was Crysis. But Far Cry 3.... Ugh. Awful, shitty game. Other half bought it for me at launch and was mega pissed when I traded it the day after.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

The original is great. The sequel was in interesting idea, poorly executed. Three and onwards are just more "open world as a way of delivering meaningless checklist content" grist.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Picked up the new one yesterday & it's pretty great. I feel like it opens the game up for you almost right away. I've already got a silent scope & found an airplane & helicopter. Runs great on PS4 Pro, albiet with some non obtrusive bugs. It's definitely Far Cry & might be the most batshit it's ever been.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Far Cry 2 ftw, just wish they'd do a HD remaster.