SD cards, saviours of retro gaming (not really?)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Stevens

Re: SD cards, saviours of retro gaming (not really?)

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote: Yeah HD Retrovision's the one. Had to look up Akura, but that looks sweet. Might actually be better as HDMI is probably more future proof. I wonder how well TVs usually handle 720x480x60p through HDMI? Or is it also an upscaler? Gonna have to do some research.
Full disclosure - could be totally wrong. I seem to recall ,from one of their early Akura demo videos, them saying it takes whatever signal you feed it and outputs it in HDMI. Like you my knowledge with this stuff is limited.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

That retrovision cable is going to be awesome. I have multiple beharbros boxes and other VGA solutions but I will be snap buying that ypbpr cable from them provided the price is fair.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
LordHypnos wrote: Yeah HD Retrovision's the one. Had to look up Akura, but that looks sweet. Might actually be better as HDMI is probably more future proof. I wonder how well TVs usually handle 720x480x60p through HDMI? Or is it also an upscaler? Gonna have to do some research.
Full disclosure - could be totally wrong. I seem to recall ,from one of their early Akura demo videos, them saying it takes whatever signal you feed it and outputs it in HDMI. Like you my knowledge with this stuff is limited.
Yeah, I skimmed the manual, and it looks like it takes the VGA signal from the DC and converts it to HDMI (meaning 720x480x60p). It also has a 15kHz switch that seems to exist mostly to trick games into VGA (Many games will run in 480p if you start them in 480i then switch it over even if they don't officially support VGA. Worth mentioning though that Gunbird 2 will do this but has awful slowdown starting in stage 2 or something IIRC, so just because you can get them to output 480p doesn't mean that it runs properly), which is a nice touch. I'd guess that most HDTVs can resolve that just fine, since unlike the VGA ports, the HDMI ports on TVs usually don't expect exclusively PC video signals, but I'd like to know from someone who's actually tried. Would be nice to not spend a bunch of money on something and still get a horizontally squished image when actually using it.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
orange808

Post by orange808 »

LordHypnos wrote:
Stevens wrote:
Yeah, I skimmed the manual, and it looks like it takes the VGA signal from the DC and converts it to HDMI (meaning 720x480x60p). It also has a 15kHz switch that seems to exist mostly to trick games into VGA (Many games will run in 480p if you start them in 480i then switch it over even if they don't officially support VGA. Worth mentioning though that Gunbird 2 will do this but has awful slowdown starting in stage 2 or something IIRC, so just because you can get them to output 480p doesn't mean that it runs properly), which is a nice touch. I'd guess that most HDTVs can resolve that just fine, since unlike the VGA ports, the HDMI ports on TVs usually don't expect exclusively PC video signals, but I'd like to know from someone who's actually tried. Would be nice to not spend a bunch of money on something and still get a horizontally squished image when actually using it.
If you need a guarantee, get a monitor with flexible scaling options, an OSSC, or a video processor.

Otherwise, you're taking a chance.
We apologise for the inconvenience
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

orange808 wrote:
If you need a guarantee, get a monitor with flexible scaling options, an OSSC, or a video processor.

Otherwise, you're taking a chance.
I actually have a monitor with flexible scaling options (PC CRT monitor). You can pretty easily adjust the geometry so that the screen fills the 4:3 monitor screen. The HDMI is more for if I have to use someone else's screen, but yes. This is a good point. The reason why I mentioned it though is that if the YPbPr cable ever comes out, almost any HDTV with component inputs will be able to handle the 720x480x60p signal just fine, because that is the NTSC standard. It doesn't work through VGA usually, because the TV expects 640x480 because it's meant for PCs. So I have read, anyway, and I have never seen an HDTV not squish the signal going through VGA.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I have a Hanzo and love it. That HD cable will undoubtedly be awesome thought.

Orange you have a fair bit more experience with this sort of thing, as far as the Dreamcast is concerned how does a box like the Akura compare with the ypbpr cable?

Been doing some digging - you may find this of interest Hyp:

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... -hdmi.html

Tldr: it's a great product, is best with an upscaler, and if you're already playing in VGA then you probably don't need one.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Yeah, I'm still not entirely clear (as I care more about getting the aspect ratio right than getting a perfect image), but it seems like the component cable is more of a solution to my problem of wanting to be able to get an image without deinterlacing but with the proper 4:3 aspect ratio when I'm playing on a TV / Monitor other than my own (which is a CRT). Let's hope that it isn't vaporware. Sorry for derailing the thread :oops:
1) Create Scoring System
BIL

Post by BIL »

This thread and another elsewhere on the forum kinda opened my eyes, tbh. Wasn't easy, but just finalised the sale of my FC, MD and SFC collections to an old dealer buddy. The latter was the toughest... many of the SFC's priciest games are a bit lacking, so I never bothered with 'em. A Gimmick! or Alien Soldier, Majuu Ou is most certainly not. Relatively cheap Ninja Warriors Again and Wild Guns, otoh, are near my heart. More sentimental than monetary value in that set. I figured it was better to go for a clean sweep, though.

Took a last snap of the shelf for old times' sake - might do some individual item pics later, if anyone's interested:
Spoiler

APRIL FOOLS LMAO

PRY 'EM OUTTA MY COLD DEAD HANDS YOU FUCKIN LOUSY PRICKS

*EAT PUSSY SIGN*
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

What a beautiful collection. Sad. :(
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks bud - and yeah, hard to see it go. I know it'll work out in the long run though.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Oh you fucker!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sorry. :sad: Was gonna make a trading station thread, but just don't have the time atm.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Never thought this would last this long, and now used for such a sad event as BIL's selling. Sniff. :cry:

:wink:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

tasty selection I must say, as expected from the man.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

RIP in pepperino.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Shit I had no idea your collection was that thoroughly manly.