Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Favorite Joysticks?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm 

d0s wrote:

Are these similar to the NES Advantage (which is a US version of one of the Ascii sticks)? I know some JP stick counterparts have microswitches when the US counterparts don't. Is that the case here?

Is that pad for MSX? It looks similar to the Joycard I have for FC, which is a nice pad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm 

NOW my favorite stick.
Hori Hrap4 Kai modded with all Seimitsu parts

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 pm 

BrianC wrote:
Are these similar to the NES Advantage (which is a US version of one of the Ascii sticks)? I know some JP stick counterparts have microswitches when the US counterparts don't. Is that the case here?

No, these are the high end microswitched sticks. Yeah, the NES advantage is also an ASCII stick IIRC but of a lower grade model with rubber domes or something. These sticks are similar to the sticks that come with a Neo-Geo AES.

BrianC wrote:
Is that pad for MSX? It looks similar to the Joycard I have for FC, which is a nice pad.

That pad is for 9-pin connectors, which became kind of a loose standard. It works with MSX, X68000, FM Towns, some Sega stuff like the Master System, etc. Also works with things like C64, Amiga, many Atari systems. It's pretty much exactly like the Hudson Joycard for Famicom and yeah it's really nice.

e: This is the ASCII stick the NES Advantage is based on:

Funnily enough the official Nintendo licensed stick for the Famicom in Japan is made by Hori (though it's not a very good stick, similar to the Advantage):

And it got released in the US as a third party stick, as "Shinsei Hyper Stick":

Also released under the Hyper name in the US was this very good Hori pad, great pad if you're stuck with only a US NES:

This pad was also released as a licensed Sega product for the Master System, and should really be the default MS pad because of the horrible dpad on the originals:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 am 

Thanks for the info. I have an AV Famicom and an AVS (which has an accessory port, extra nes style ports, and the ability to use US Arkanoid controllers and the extra controller ports with JP games, as well as the standard NES ports), as well as the NES. I'm not sure if it's the case here, but some of those US controllers have the benefit of a longer cord.

My default pad for SMS is the Genesis pad. Most of the problem games (only a handful, but most notable among them are Penguin Land and Wonder Boy in Monster Land) with it play fine with it on a Japanese SMS or a Genesis/MD with PBC or other adapter/flash cart in Japanese mode. There are hacks available, as well.

Last edited by BrianC on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 am 

kog3100_edw wrote:
Spoiler: show

NOW my favorite stick.
Hori Hrap4 Kai modded with all Seimitsu parts

Where did you get those buttons? Looking good :D Shame Baiken is so weak :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:25 am 

Seimitsu clear snap-ins from Focus Attack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 am 

yo who moved this thread about hardware into offtopic, shit says joysticks in the title cmon son

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

The Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa for the Nintendo Switch platform is ace for those old-school titles requiring the use of a proper arcade stick setup. It also comes with the 2nd-gen matte Hori push buttons installed (compared to the original Hori Kuro push buttons used on the Hori Fighting Edge series for the PS3/360). It come stock with a square gate already mounted as well + the usual autofire rates of between 5, 10 or 20 shots per second if it needed be. Needs an external male USB-C to female USB 3.0 adapter to use on the Switch if the console is used on a stand holder setup.

On the Bally Midway upright & cocktail table styled cabinets of the Pac-Man (1980) & Ms. Pac-Man (1981), what type of arcade controls were used (considering that they were both dedicated 4-way games to begin with)? Were they leaf-switch based arcade joysticks and leaf-switch push buttons for the P1 & P2 start buttons?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm 

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
On the Bally Midway upright & cocktail table styled cabinets of the Pac-Man (1980) & Ms. Pac-Man (1981), what type of arcade controls were used (considering that they were both dedicated 4-way games to begin with)? Were they leaf-switch based arcade joysticks and leaf-switch push buttons for the P1 & P2 start buttons?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Yes.
The original manual shows leaf-switch buttons and a Wico leaf-switch joystick. Same parts for upright and cocktail cabinets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 pm 

Before, I was really into trying to find the stick of sticks for my cabinets. I have bought and tried almost every brand and model that made sense for shmups. My current choice is a JLF with oversized actuator (I'm using a red aluminum one from Paradise Arcade Shop, haven't gotten around to try my Kowal actuator yet) a stiffer spring and octogate. The build quality of SANWA is superb.

The Seimitsu's LS-56 is decent, the octogate is nice if you like to ride the gate (I know I do), but like all Seimitsu sticks I've tried, the dead zone wiggle cheapens the experience.

The original SANWA JLW was supposed to have been great, but it was discontinued years ago and the alter model I have never clicked with me (bahaha).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:36 pm 

I installed an LS-62-01 in my HRAP4 Kai this morning with the short throw mod (using both spacers provided for extreme shortness) and it's been absolutely revelatory. It's the most precise input device I've ever used and has almost immediately tightened up my game. It has the nuance and accuracy of Seimitsu's other sticks with the near-immediacy of a d-pad or something. I love it - if you favour short-throw sticks and don't mind it being solidly committed to STGs, get one!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:26 pm 

I'm looking to get one of these over-sized actuator mods for the JLFs in my cab. I got used to Seimitsu sticks when playing on my sigma supergun (1cc'd Batrider on Normal) and was planning to install something similar in my Blast but it seem that Seimitsu sticks don't mount as easily as Sanwa's, at least with the built in mounting plate on my 2p panel. From what I can gather these actuator mods are good alternatives.

Does any one know if there's a functional difference between the Kowal and JLF over-sized actuator?

I've never tried an octogate but i do tend to keep the lever engaged even when it's not necessary (is this 'riding the gate'?), so maybe I should give it a try.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:06 am 

scrilla4rella wrote:
Does any one know if there's a functional difference between the Kowal and JLF over-sized actuator?

I've never tried an octogate but i do tend to keep the lever engaged even when it's not necessary (is this 'riding the gate'?), so maybe I should give it a try.

All I can say is that the difference between Paradise Arcade and KOWAL actuators is very small and hard to spot unless you use measuring tools (why go there?).

I have both types installed in my cabinets and bought KOWALS most recently because you can get them in the EU, otherwise I probably would have kept buying PA ones at some point. I suggest you get a few extra springs too along with the octogate, because that can make a huge difference too. Many shmup fans shun the JLF because it's soft spring. I like riding the gate too!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:54 pm 

d0s wrote:
yo who moved this thread about hardware into offtopic, shit says joysticks in the title cmon son

Probably the same guy who first split the discussion about FPGA from the Analogue thread (which was the right call imho) and then put one of the most goddamn technical and interesting hardware thread about FPGAs into Offtopic instead of keeping it in hardware.

And of course, it died in a couple days, just like this one which I had an eye on and I completely missed it until now because I was looking for another thread here and casually saw this.

Offline Profile