The Evil Within 2

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BulletMagnet

Re: The Evil Within 2

Post by BulletMagnet »

Obscura wrote:Holy crap, TEW 2 has a boss named after me! :mrgreen:

Too bad it's a total pushover :cry:
Just be glad they didn't name one after me. :P
SuperDeadite

Re: The Evil Within 2

Post by SuperDeadite »

So, finally upgraded my PC and played through Evil Within 2
For my first run I played through on Nightmare, and while I did enjoy the game, it's a really poor sequel
to the original.

Overall I wouldn't say this is a bad game, but it is a horribly inconsistent one.
Basically everything is inconsistent, plot, gameplay, horror, all of it bounces around between good and terrible.

The first game's plot was out there, but it established a set of rules and stuck with them. 2 just does whatever the
hell it wants. I'm not one to nitpick videogame plots, but damn 2 has such insanely huge plot holes that it really made
me hate the game at times.

Gameplay wise, again the first game had rules and it stuck to them. The first game was a lot like a game of action chess.
Once you learned the rules of combat, it was all on you to get through it. Higher difficulties stuck to the rules but tweaked
enemy patterns and layouts. It felt so good playing on the harder difficulty modes. Playing the first game on Nightmare for
the first time and seeing enemies from Chapter 11 show up in the village was just so damn cool.

But 2? If I shoot one of the multiheaded dog things with a flaming harpoon before it sees me, it's dies in one hit. If it sees me first
it takes 3 or 4. Wtf?

Flame thrower dudes took anywhere from 4 to 6 knifes in the back to kill. Now I wouldn't have an issue with this if
the AI was smart enough to sniff me out and make that knife hit a sense of real tension.
But here I can stab once, run away for about 3 seconds, then the flame thrower dudes returns to
his exact same patrol pattern as before. I hide in the same place and knife again. No skill here, just wasting time.

And the bosses. First game's bosses were some of the best parts of the game. 2? Let's see a guy that teleports and runs at me with a
knife... Boring... Giant bosses with big glowing circular weak points.....seriously? These fights suck.

But while 2 is a terrible sequel, I still had a lot of fun with it. If I can find enough free time I'll give this another go on "Classic Mode", just
hard to find enough time due to the limited saves. And maybe then it will be closer to the game I wanted, but I doubt it.