Super NES Classic Edition

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
soprano1

Super NES Classic Edition

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/26/su ... r-29-2017/
September 29 for Europe and USA ($79.99). The list:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2 (unlocked by playing the first level of Star Fox)
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
null1024

Re: Super NES Classic Edition

Post by null1024 »

That's an extremely good selection of games.
also it took way too long for a Star Fox 2 release to happen :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

null1024 wrote:That's an extremely good selection of games.
also it took way too long for a Star Fox 2 release to happen :lol:
Yeah, just needs Chrono Trigger.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I'm still wondering if the european model of the NES mini plays games properly. :?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Star Fox 2 release in what shape? The rom that's been doing the rounds for years now is a completely unfinished game and not really worth spending much time with. I can't believe they would peddle that as part of the sales list.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I think the devs of Star Fox Command mentioned that Nintendo actually has a finished ROM of the game.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:I think the devs of Star Fox Command mentioned that Nintendo actually has a finished ROM of the game.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

null1024 wrote:That's an extremely good selection of games.
I know! There are plenty of other great games and third-party developers that were left out, but I can't complain about any of the games they did include. These games (Excluding Starfox 2) are classics, and a very good representation of the era.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Strong selection of games, hopefully they finished up Star Fox 2 though. And can Europe get native 60 Hz or will we get a borked up mess?

And indeed will Nintendo make more than 12 of them this time around? I'm guessing a Raspberry Pi can probably do a similar job with the emulation though...
ryu

Post by ryu »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:And can Europe get native 60 Hz or will we get a borked up mess?
For the NES mini I have asked this multiple times in various places and did internet searches a couple of times. Didn't get any answers, so I guess we can't expect one this time either lol
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Skykid wrote:Star Fox 2 release in what shape? The rom that's been doing the rounds for years now is a completely unfinished game and not really worth spending much time with. I can't believe they would peddle that as part of the sales list.
?
There's two roms out there, a fairly early version that's definitely too incomplete to bother with and crashes a bunch, and then there's a fairly late version that's very nearly a full game with an ending and is actually stable. The late beta is probably missing a few things vs if it had been released, but the core meat of the game is all there.
The late version as-is has some debugging stuff left in and disables planetary damage [so it's basically impossible to lose], but the translation patch fixes both issues. Playing it on Expert is pretty wild [but it's way too easy on Normal and Hard, they probably hadn't balanced things properly yet].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strong selection of games, hopefully they finished up Star Fox 2 though. And can Europe get native 60 Hz or will we get a borked up mess?
Its confirmed that Europe are getting the NTSC versions of the games at 60hz.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's a good roster for who they're marketing to and what they're trying to accomplish (Mario All-stars would have been an auto-include if they were targeting more dedicated gamers and wanted to provide maximum value, otherwise).

The SNES really sticks out as having a ton of great games that were never localized. It's really nice the internet has fixed most of that for us.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Wouldn't be too eager to run out and buy this thing if the issues with the NES mini are anything to go by.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

null1024 wrote:
Skykid wrote:Star Fox 2 release in what shape? The rom that's been doing the rounds for years now is a completely unfinished game and not really worth spending much time with. I can't believe they would peddle that as part of the sales list.
?
There's two roms out there, a fairly early version that's definitely too incomplete to bother with and crashes a bunch, and then there's a fairly late version that's very nearly a full game with an ending and is actually stable. The late beta is probably missing a few things vs if it had been released, but the core meat of the game is all there.
The late version as-is has some debugging stuff left in and disables planetary damage [so it's basically impossible to lose], but the translation patch fixes both issues. Playing it on Expert is pretty wild [but it's way too easy on Normal and Hard, they probably hadn't balanced things properly yet].

It's been a while, but maybe I played the wrong ROM, which would suck because I actually paid money for a repro SF2 cart and was quite disappointed with how unfinished everything seemed :?

bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Meh, it's going to be the NES all over again and they didn't even match up with 30 games. Neat little thing but half-baked for any serious gamer.

They didn't even fix the controller issue - increased the cord length to a whole FIVE feet this time. What the hell is that supposed to accomplish? Why do they insist on using legacy Wii wiring anyway?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

bigbadboaz wrote:Why do they insist on using legacy Wii wiring anyway?
It's probably cheaper for them. They don't really care about making a quality product, anyway.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/27/ja ... october-5/
October 5 for the JP release. Japan gets Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Super Soccer, and Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack), instead of EartBound, Kirby’s Dream Course, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Punch-Out!!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

are the controllers going to be available seperately?
Austin

Post by Austin »

bigbadboaz wrote:Why do they insist on using legacy Wii wiring anyway?
I don't know why they "insist", but as someone with a lot of consoles, I appreciate them sticking with a format that allows me to use them on other consoles (primarily the Wii and Wii U). It's better than some kind of proprietary thing that's locked down to just this one device.
bigbadboaz wrote:Meh, it's going to be the NES all over again and they didn't even match up with 30 games. Neat little thing but half-baked for any serious gamer.
What exactly is "half-baked" about it? There's a ton of content and the titles included are some real heavy hitters for the system. I bet there's going to be a lot of folks that will get way more playtime out of this over the years than the original Classic, given the games included.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

So Japan still doesn't get Super Punch-Out....
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Another nostalgia cash grab by Nintendo. For people who don't own the carts it might be of interest, but the same issues as the NES Classic are here: you get only one game in a series and none of the sequels (so they're practically motivating people to go and emulate Mega Man X2, X3 and so on).

Star Fox 2 is legitimately interesting, but as with the NES Classic it's a huge shame they didn't release and localize some Japanese only titles that have only seen a fan translation so far (or none whatsoever). What about one of the SaGa games? But as this is a budget release and not one aimed at any serious gamers...

It'd be interesting to know if for the Star Fox games they plan to include an Overclock option as some modern emulators do to increase the framerate.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wouldn't overclocking Starfox cause the entire game to run faster? The game's own logic would have to be readjusted for the faster clock speed.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Good selection of games, Star Fox 2 is certainly an interesting one - not really being into the Nintendo scence, I always thought it was vapourware.

Are there plans to release other titles in the future or is it just whats pre-loaded?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sumez wrote:Wouldn't overclocking Starfox cause the entire game to run faster? The game's own logic would have to be readjusted for the faster clock speed.
For ages, emulators just ran all SuperFX games at SuperFX2 clock speed and probably weren't doing the transfers at quite the right speed so if you've only emulated in zsnes or whatever, the game definitely ran fast.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Star Fox 2 is legitimately interesting, but as with the NES Classic it's a huge shame they didn't release and localize some Japanese only titles that have only seen a fan translation so far (or none whatsoever). What about one of the SaGa games? But as this is a budget release and not one aimed at any serious gamers...
IIRC, the only thing blocking Star Fox 2 was some licensing snarl regarding Argonaut Software.
Nintendo has had the fully completed game all this time, went through full QA and everything even. There's nothing to do.
in contrast, they'd need a full localization team to handle any JP only releases, and there's no nostalgia for in the west

man, I kind of wonder how long it'll take people to dump the full Star Fox 2 ROM, lol
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:Wouldn't overclocking Starfox cause the entire game to run faster? The game's own logic would have to be readjusted for the faster clock speed.
Yes, but the game originally is choppy and runs at a poor speed. Overclocking it increases the speed, but it's no faster than Star Fox 64 is at that point, and is infinitely more playable and enjoyable.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcw3O7aTgo

Video description points out that yes, people want an overclocked version that plays at the original game speed (i.e. smooth 60 FPS but game speed same as original), but to do that would require way, way more time that's probably not worth the effort involved.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely they will do that. Although they obviously did put some effort into the Starfox 2 release, giving it original new artwork, etc, so even though a mastered version already exists, I guess there's a slim chance they'll change the code a bit for that game at least.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Tarma wrote:Are there plans to release other titles in the future or is it just whats pre-loaded?
Just wait for hackers to find a way to load more games, like they did with the NES Classic.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Means a bunch of 3rd-party SNES Classic Edition controllers and arcade sticks for it when it finally hits retail. Expect the usual price-gouging with scalpers the day that it goes on sale on day one of launch. It's a given in this day of age.

I don't know why it was easier for me to get a Nintendo Switch console than it was trying to get a Nintendo NES Classic Edition console (is selling for $224.99 USD currently on amazon.com site as of today 6-27-2017). Still got in line for the last batch of NES Classic Edition consoles distributed at the Best Buy stores in the USA back in April of 2017 and still didn't score one. At my local BB store, the BB employee said that they had gotten in only 10 -- so naturally that meant the first ten folks in line were the lucky ones to buy one with a supplied ticket voucher to purchase one, indeed. At least I tried though. Oh well, that's life -- ain't that right, folks?

I already know this upcoming SNES Classic Edition console will be in short supply but in high demand all over again (as it was with the NES Classic Edition console).

Back in March of 1990, I recall that Nintendo had artificially delayed (and on purpose) the production of it's highly anticipated Super Mario Bros. 3 game (as it was supposed to have a March 1990 release date for the USA) until April of 1990 (that caused more pre-paid pre-orders for it and created an unprecedented demand for it when it was finally released to the general public stateside). This sly business strategy/scheme worked in Nintendo's favor in this particular instance. I recall paying for my pre-order of SMB-3 (paid in full at the asking $39.99 USD MSRP at that point in time) back in March of 1990 and that did guarantee a reserved copy to pick up at the front counter upon day one of release. Those were the days of lore with the NES back in the day. As usual, it was well worth the wait for SMB-3 in the end. ^_~

----------------------------------
The old-school arcade gamer veterans (like myself) might recall seeing/playing the uber-rare Super Nintendo Play Choice (basically an SNES on an arcade pcb setup) jamma conversion pcb kit installed in a Dynamo upright arcade cab back in 1992-1993 with Super Tennis and F-Zero up & running on a low-res 19" arcade CRT-based monitor -- that was cool/awesome for it's time.

Yes, Nintendo authorized it's SNES to be showcased in the American arcades back in the early 1990s like with it's popular Play Choice 10 arcade pcb setup years eariler to give it broader exposure (can't say if this was done for other arcade markets like Japan, the UK or Europe though). This particular arcade conversion kit sported a pair of huge SNES stylized game controllers with a cool dual purple/gray colored scheme throughout (with bigger than usual sized D-pads rather than sporting a pair of arcade joysticks as the only method/way to play said booted-up SNES games -- the bigger D-pads were/are surprisingly responsive but you'd think it'd be otherwise counter-intuitive in the end, controller-wise) on the front-mounted arcade control panel itself to play whatever SNES games were inserted into the multi-game cartridge slots at the time. Insert a coin or token, press Start and a super-imposed countdown timer (with the word "Timer -- 199") on the corner section of the screen would magically appear. Simply start a gaming session, select your favorite SNES game to play and play it until the timer ran down to zero. Insert another credit to continue or end the gaming session right then & there. Strange but true.
----------------------------------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Will nintendo actually be supporting this long-term or is this a one-off? I did not like what I saw last time with the NES Mini and the stocking situation that took place.
More Bromances = safer people