Super NES Classic Edition

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Super NES Classic Edition

Post by Sumez »

The default button mappings aren't too great. I'm not sure why you'd need two extra shoulder buttons though, I play it just fine with the buttons remapped to my own preferences.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Switching weapons with index finger.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Or maybe holding one trigger down to "moonwalk" instead of having to set an on/off option for it.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Well, Target is only taking snes classic purchases In-store on launch day. Good luck with that folks. I wonder how many other stores are doing this?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

And at Best Buy, will be handing out tickets to the lucky first 10 in line in order to be able to purchase it on 9/29/17. That's how it was with the NES mini classic console as well on launch day in the USA.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

and Bestbuy has the nerve to sell an extended warranty on it even, like they would be able to replace it. only thing they could do is give a refund.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Reports are that numbers are much higher this time around. It actually shouldn't be difficult Friday morning at the Targets showing 300 in stock.
PC Engine Fan X!

Here's the list of brick 'n' mortar places to get a Super Nes Classic Edition in the USA on day one of launch for 9/29/2017:

Best Buy
Walmart (or the Super Walmarts that are open 24 hours a day -- the Super Walmarts start selling 'em at 12:01am sharp)
Target
K Mart
Toys-R-Us
Fry's
(it's no dice with Costco for sure)

It's no secret that if one works for one of the above listed retailers (aside from Costco), he or she has the upper hand/advantage to buy one (by setting it aside for purchase at a later time) before the general public does if management allows him or her to do so. One of the perks of working in the retail industry, indeed.

and the franchised specialty video game shops

Gamestop (pre-ordered allocations have been met)
EB Games (pre-ordered allocations have been met)
PlayNTrade

It'd just be a matter of determining which business will have the most consoles in stock to possibly score one by getting in line the day/night before said business opens up for business.

(On a related note of "camping out" at a retail business to stake one's place in line: I've personally seen a group of guys camp out by pitching up a tent at a local Best Buy store a whole week before Black Friday sales even started back in 2013 -- crazy but true. They even used my business' restroom facilities during that entire week, not to mention resorting to a bit of shoplifting to sustain/feed themselves in the process as well {might as well take advantage of that "golden opportunity" if it presents itself, right? Lol}. After Black Friday came and went, I never saw those folks again. Store security cameras hooked up to a DVR system don't lie as they see everything that goes on anyways.)

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

It wasn't hard at all getting one. They have bucketloads of this stuff.
X - P - B
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Pure gold from the article you linked:

"In general I feel this is great news, simply because Nintendo have made these devices pretty hard to acquire. So those of us who did not manage to get a NES Classic (or conversely those who could not grab an SNES but already have the NES classic), will have opportunities to play the games from the other console if they want to."

No matter how cheap they do, it's always great news for fans. This way, even if the "hard to acquire" system escapes you, you will have the opportunity to play the games. Which have been in your romset folder for twenty five years. :lol:

Really... I shelled cash for the damn thing, and If I think to worse things to do with my time, certainly hacking these is even worse than buying them. I mean, what's the point? It's just a pretty repackaged toy: I would never feel excited that I can snuck an Axelay rom into it... Because I'm sure SNES9X does it better.

Also, big LOL to the "tech" and "foundry" articles out there trying to sell the wizardry of NERD team, and the uncanny ability of the new hardware to replicate the DSP and FX chips. :P
X - P - B
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Yes, but don't forget that even after 15 years have passed since SNES emulation became a thing (that kept on improving), there are still people who can't get it to work. How the hell would those people work it out with this machine? Hell if i know, but some did with the NES mini, so...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

soprano1 wrote:http://wololo.net/2017/09/28/nes-classi ... ice-versa/
Fucking brilliant, Nintendo. :lol:
Erh, I'd say anything other than this would have been extremely surprising.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah, I shouldn't take good emulation for granted... I went back to CFW PSP the other day, and while SMS+ and Picodrive are gems, I was astounded at how poor the Snes emulation is on it.
X - P - B
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Turrican wrote:Yeah, I shouldn't take good emulation for granted... I went back to CFW PSP the other day, and while SMS+ and Picodrive are gems, I was astounded at how poor the Snes emulation is on it.
While I agree with you there, that's not what I meant in my post. I was talking about people who can't download a fucking zip file of snes9x and set up the damn thing on their pc's, yet they go to the work of modding their nes mini.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

soprano1 wrote:I was talking about people who can't download a fucking zip file of snes9x and set up the damn thing on their pc's, yet they go to the work of modding their nes mini.
Well... they surely will have someone else to mod theirs, if they are that clueless. :roll:
X - P - B
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Turrican wrote:Well... they surely will have someone else to mod theirs, if they are that clueless. :roll:
Oh believe me, there ARE people that clueless...
PC Engine Fan X!

Fascinating to learn that a hacked nes mini can run 'em Snes game roms on it.

Makes me wonder if the Snes mini can run 'em Nes roms as well if it has pretty much the same internals as that of the Nes mini classic setup.

I do have a Famicom mini but it's still brand new & unopened along with the official Nintendo Famicom mini A/C adapter that's new as well. Hmmm.....

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Uh, they can run whatever software you want to install on them, as long as its performance can handle it. It's just a Linux mini-PC.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:Uh, they can run whatever software you want to install on them, as long as its performance can handle it. It's just a Linux mini-PC.
Ssshh, that's a secret! To everybody, I mean. :lol:
PC Engine Fan X!

I went to my local Target store around 6:50am PST this morning and got in line for the Super NES Classic Edition console. I had heard from one of the Target employees that they had gotten in a shipment of 50 to sell and started handing out tickets to purchase one around 7:10am. We were told that the first few people in line had got in line at 7pm last night (9/28/2017) at the local Target store location. It turns out that I was number 34 out of the 50 tickets handed out -- it was one ticket per person or a group (if they were together). We were also told that they would allow the first 50 folks in line that we could shop (if we wanted to) inside Target for up to 2 hours and they'd hold the console for us within that timeframe (otherwise, it'd be put back on the shelf for the general public to buy on a "first-come, first-served" basis).

One older lady approached the line in her SUV stopped momentarily and was handed out the very last ticket voucher to buy one at around 8am-ish. I smiled upon watching that event unfold/take place.

So in order to handle the 50 folks whom wanted to buy one, they sold the mini Snes console at the Target Customer service desk with four employees manning the cash registers -- so it went quite smoothly, orderly and flawlessly (with no line jumping or fights breaking out -- of course, shit can happen at any time/the situation can get ugly really quick).

Upon leaving Target, the Target security guard asked to see my receipt to verify that I had bought one. She let me leave after checking it. Upon walking back to my car, the local Sheriff had their SUV parked on the Target sidewalk itself to make sure things didn't get out of hand (just in case).

So for a mere $86.29 USD (tax included), buys one a Snes Classic Edition console indeed (of course, it may be a tad bit cheaper depending on the jurisdiction of where one lives in of having to pay local sales tax, state tax or even no sales tax at all).

So it was no trouble in getting ahold of one this morning. Am curious if things went smoothly in other parts of the USA in regards of folks trying to purchase one today. We'll shall see.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So that makes two customers already on this forum, eh?

And since I shelled out cash to Ninty, I feel like I should link this wonderful insight:

http://www.filfre.net/2016/04/generation-nintendo/
X - P - B
PC Engine Fan X!

Thanks for that informative link, Turrican. It makes me wonder what if Atari did decide to take up on Nintendo's offer to have the Famicom licensed for distribution in the USA? Would the "old" Atari Corp still be in business today?

I do recall Kay Bee Toys selling the NES Tengen games back in 1990-1991. Was blown away by the stellar NES Tengen release of Klax (all the chiptunes were done by none other than LX Rudis himself).

I do recall having a cool conversation with LX Rudis (back in September of 2001 when he was working for the Ultracade company at that point in time) whom told me that Tengen was having a really hard time trying to get the NES Klax game engine's framerate optimized as the early build of it was running quite slow. He said they somehow were able to boost up the framerate and the rest is history. I personally told LX that I liked the cool BGM tunes that he used in it. LX said that the inspiration for creating those particular tunes featured in it was, at the time, he was listening to some hard rock like Black Sabbath, MegaDeath, AC/DC, etc. And so, that's how the BGM tunes came to be in the NES Tengen port of Klax.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The Star Fox 2 rom version from this console has been dumped and is online.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Lots of stores here in the LA area getting 60 units and above this morning. And from what I saw, this made it a pretty sure bet to get one if you cared to line up about two hours early - and they still sold everything out by the time each store opened.

Nintendo definitely did much better with stock this time around, yet there still seems to be demand for them to sell more, and more and more.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

soprano1 wrote:While I agree with you there, that's not what I meant in my post. I was talking about people who can't download a fucking zip file of snes9x and set up the damn thing on their pc's, yet they go to the work of modding their nes mini.
This and the inexplicable popularity of the fussy RetroPie thing baffled me for the longest time. Then I realized that most of these people probably enjoy the tinkering and hacking more than actually playing the games, if they weren't already drawn in by the form factor. A $60 emulation box is highway robbery, but an officially licensed display piece at the same price isn't terrible (assuming you're used to paying much more for figurines and gunpla and such).
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

soprano1 wrote:Ssshh, that's a secret! To everybody, I mean. :lol:
They're just replaying last year's money making game.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Heh, nice story about NES Klax. I gotta the Namcot one, but I'm beginning to think the Tengen one might be the superior version on MD. It's not a clear cut case as Marble Madness. Still, I'm kind of amused that the same system managed to get two different editions of Marble Madness and Klax!
X - P - B
PC Engine Fan X!

So it is possible to be able to use a Wii arcade stick on the NES Classic/ Super NES Classic mini consoles?

And how does Star Fox 2 play/handle on a Kkrizz Snes Flash cart setup?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:So it is possible to be able to use a Wii arcade stick on the NES Classic/ Super NES Classic mini consoles?

And how does Star Fox 2 play/handle on a Kkrizz Snes Flash cart setup?
Have seen people use the Wii arcade stick with no issues, it's just a classic controller as far as the hardware is concerned.

Star Fox 2 wont work on SD2SNES or Super Everdrive flash carts as they don't support Super FX games.