Super NES Classic Edition

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Super NES Classic Edition

Post by BrianC »

BryanM wrote:1.5 ghz, definitely no slowdown on Metal Slug 3 at all. Rejoice!
No, it's 1.21 Jiggohertz! ;)
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

mvsfan wrote:Someone should make a wireless reciever that plugs into the control ports, and replaces the whole front panel.
I've seen a few pics of people who opened up the case and installed the wireless receivers inside. There's plenty of unused internal space to do so.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Oh shit. Now that would be the way to do it. Let's find out if 8bitdo actually produces some decent pads this time around, and maybe I'll do this to mine.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

I got the hakchi2 and retroarch clover cores working.

The hack tricks the system into displaying multiple sets of 25~ games. The folders to go to a different alphabetical subsection behave like game selections themselves. This makes navigation messy and defeats the point of the many game sorting tools; limiting the sort to the current 25~ roms on the screen.
There isn't an auto metadata scraper. Having to google boxart for every rom (using hakchi2 tool) is a terrible time.

You will need to choose between conforming to only SNES titles and getting to add 400~ titles, or get the retroarch cores to play most consoles and cut your potential rom count beyond half.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076B995TL/ new wireless 8bitdo thinger
bigbadboaz wrote:
gaming itself devolved back into a social stigma
Sorry for being dickish, but this is what I'm talking about. You shouldn't have to justify your hobby to anyone. Especially in your own home.
yeah I thought that too, till one of the olds asked me if I was in a hate group..
BIL

Post by BIL »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:
gaming itself devolved back into a social stigma
Sorry for being dickish, but this is what I'm talking about. You shouldn't have to justify your hobby to anyone. Especially in your own home.
yeah I thought that too, till one of the olds asked me if I was in a hate group..
:lol:

Fuckin scary. Got a biiig durty ROMdump? Better hide any NAZI MARIO romhacks (in the same folder with NAKED PUNCH-OUT). If not, DER AMERIKANER NEOSTASI will be around to waterboard you for FUTURE CRIMEZ.

Ha. Makes me glad I only deal with real hardware and carts. You poor schmucks! I'm gonna retire to my study and enjoy some vintage sidescr... oh.

Oh dear.

AOHHH SHIT! O_O

THE GHOST DUDE FROM HEBEREKE IS A NAZI! O_O

PLS HALP ME SHUMPSFARM, MY KIDS MIGHT SEE AND REPORT ME TO THE PARTY

MINT CIB ONLY SIX FOUSAND POUNDFORDSHIRES ;-;
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

DJ Incompetent wrote:The folders to go to a different alphabetical subsection behave like game selections themselves. This makes navigation messy and defeats the point of the many game sorting tools; limiting the sort to the current 25~ roms on the screen.
There isn't an auto metadata scraper. Having to google boxart for every rom (using hakchi2 tool) is a terrible time.
You can actually set the folders up any way you like, if you dig a little deeper in the menus. It's pretty darn customizable and mine is just the way I want.

I actually thought the boxart thing was pretty great - there's only so much I can expect these guys to do for us. The fact that I could pull boxart right within the program was an unexpected perk.
huhwhat?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Probably thinks he's one of those racist goomba haters.

A goomba is one of the most gentle creatures in the world, it doesn't even have arms, and yet there are monsters out there who think it's a fun time to jump on top of them and squash their guts out. Gross.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

The NES classic edition is about to be Re-released June 29. hopefully they make some improvements like including a second controller.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I'm looking forward to the Weekly Jump model that has all those crappy games (and a few decent ones).
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

mvsfan wrote:The NES classic edition is about to be Re-released June 29. hopefully they make some improvements like including a second controller.
While I expected the same, they made the announcement with a tweet of a completely unaltered box. I'm no longer expecting any updates unless they specify otherwise.

I also don't see the point, really, for anyone except collectors now that the SNES has been a thing. There's just no contest. Curious to see what the demand turns out to be for this second run.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

id think they would update the box at least. oh well.

As far as their being no demand for it besides collectors, theres a lot of people who wanted one the first run and didnt get one. they simply didnt build enough of them. thell probably sell a couple million more this second run, it just wont be as many as Snes classic.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

mvsfan wrote:theres a lot of people who wanted one the first run and didnt get one. they simply didnt build enough of them.
I know, point was that for many (certainly me) having an SNES renders the NES completely irrelevant - especially with the exact same mod possibilities on both. Only collectors specifically are going to want both just to have both. I'm wondering how many people who would have bought the NES first run won't on the second run because the SNES exists. The fact they're keeping both in production side-by-side makes it a big factor.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The original Super Mario Brothers is always the #1 selling ROM file for Nintendo. I don't really think the SNES classic eats into that market - if you want those games you want them. I personally vastly prefer Castlevania 3 over IV (a game which... is not on these official cell phone boxes. Hurm.)

Considering what a thin gruel both of them offer, I don't see how anyone could be satisfied for long with either.

I'm still a little shocked that Mother 2 isn't on the Super Famicon Mini... what the hell? Does Nintendo just want people able to complain to them in a language they can understand, to forget that franchise ever existed?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I could have thought of a lot better games to put on snes than Kirbys dream course and starfox/starfox2.

starfox looked cool when it first came out, but it hasnt aged well at all.

on the Nes classic, they wasted a lot of spots with old arcade games. and Pac man/Galaga shouldnt have been included. theyre good games but they arent even nes games they are Atari games/arcade games. the nes versions were just a re-release.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I just bought an Nes classic at Bestbuy.com, on re release day 2018. I checked the order page and it was open so i ordered one.

just got lucky i guess.

it took me a week to find an snes classic in store because all the online sites were constantly sold out.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

congrats. It does seem that they'll be easier to find this time around. I myself was finally able to score a controller last week when Walmart jumped the gun selling them in-store. I use it on the SNES and was really thrilled to find it's even better than the originals - fantastic little pad for games 2 buttons and under.

Going to try to get a second at WM this morning. Enjoy everybody :P
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

you mean like super mario world?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

At the brick 'n' mortar Best Buy stores that have received their allocation of the re-release NES Classic consoles, they each got 10 units to sell to the general public today, 6/29/2018 -- of course it's first come, first served. The very last time that the brick 'n' mortar Best Buy locations were selling their very last allocation of the 1st run of the NES Classic consoles was back in April of 2017 -- got in line for it & found out that the first ten folks lined up were given a special ticket voucher to purchase one in-store (everyone else in line left after hearing about that particular stint).

On the gamestop.com site, the lone re-release NES Classic set with a MSRP of $59.99 USD has already sold out of their allocation on-line today (actually this morning, indeed).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I know someone mentioned SNES Classic was sold at Kmart? I have serious doubts about that since Kmart no longer sells video games.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

does anyone online still have any of the extra controllers in stock for nes classic? i thought about buying one later but bestbuy was all sold out.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I think this batch is sold out but keep checking when you pop into a store. It definitely looks like Nintendo is much more on top of supply for Round Two.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Yeah thats kinda what i figured. i guess i could pay double and get one off ebay. i saw a couple for around $20.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

why does 8bitdo always wait till way after a consoles launch (or relaunch) to have their new controllers ready?

Amazon says 8bitdo new n30 controller will be released on Aug. 20.

they dont plan their product launches too good. it should have come out the same day the Nes mini was re-released.

I think im going to forget about the extra controller for now and just get 2 n30 when they are released.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

on snes classic is there a way to get it to stop switching filters during the demonstration? I want scanlines on all the time.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

do those Micro usb ports tend to break easy? its only 1 of 2 things that seems like a bad design choice on the snes classic, especially since they have plenty of room for a fullsize USB-B port. the other being that front panel, its stupid. the nes classic is better designed when it comes to the control port they should have done the same thing with the snes.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

They do have that reputation though I have never had a problem. Just take care when plugging/unplugging that cable. The power supply is not something I would be disconnecting on a regular basis anyway..
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

does the snes classic have a fuse in it? where is it? I have one that has no power and the power light doesnt turn on, and the usb port isnt broken.
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Did you try and trace the power from the usb port to see where it stops.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I dont know how you can trace anything on these classics. I dont have any leads that can. im set up for working on old game systems not this.