How do you guys store your PCBS?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Day_Man

How do you guys store your PCBS?

Post by Day_Man »

Newb question but how do you guys store your PCBS? I know to store them in a anti static bag but do you buy small plastic bins for each one or what?
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: How do you guys store your PCBS?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, I place my arcade pcbs in anti-static bags (if they were supplied with one to begin with) or just wrap each one in pink-colored bubble wrap (because of it's "tried 'n' true" touted anti-static properties) and place them upright vertically in a huge and ample spacious plastic storage bin that are stackable (some arcade pcbs may be up to three or even four layers thick at times -- those odd-ball sized pcbs do have to be specially accommodated as well which end up taking some valuable real-estate space in 'em plastic storage bins -- of course that's a given in this day of age) -- keeps 'em ol' arcade pcbs nice and happy at all times (rather than mean & tempermental). By simply slapping on a handy post-it note with all the obligatory info of said arcade pcb (game title, year it was released & names of pcb publisher and/or game developer) on the anti-static bag or pink bubble wrapped pcb, you're good to go in that respective department. An unlabeled arcade pcb is bad news if you don't know which title it is and having to boot it up just to see what particular game it is.

I have bought some arcade pcbs that have seen better days but with their current condition of having rust issues (due to excessive humidity in the Southern part of the USA, it's expected/a given), being super dusty & the jamma edge 56-pin connection having never been cleaned in ages -- it takes a bit of loving care to clean 'em/polish 'em up to their original glory (but then again, some of those arcade pcbs have been put through their paces in a tough super smoky arcade joint type of setting). Heck, I even received one arcade pcb that had a spider stuck and dead in between two layers of the pcb itself but intact & accompanied within a fine spiderweb mess as well. Strange but true.

For the hard-core arcade pcb hobbyist, having racks of adjustable wooden shelving big enough to hold/store a single or dual layer pcb on it's vertical edge would be your best bet (without having to contend with "board flex" issues down the road {which leads to further problems of said arcade pcb not working at 100% down the road}) + having a string with a paper tag attached with said arcade pcb's game title, year that it was released and publisher/developer names for future reference is always a good idea. Of course, if you do have perfect memory in regards to identifying said arcade pcb, then such relevant info on an external tag wouldn't be necessary. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I bought 35 cabinets to put them in :lol: :wink:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I bought 35 cabinets to put them in :lol: :wink:
Pics! :-)
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I don't have much space inside so I came up with this storage solution:

Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I put them in zip files.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I store then in anti static bags, which also helps with humidity in general. Then they are stored inside cardboard boxes that have custom cut foam to hold them in place. Nothing fancy, just blocks of foam glued so the pcb is held vertically.

Boxes have labels on them, for easy identification.

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

In the freezer
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Day_Man

Post by Day_Man »

Thanks for all the ideas its greatly appreciated.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There are a few threads on the subject, here's the most active, "current" one I could find, where I decided to post my own solution:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1253851
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I use anti-static bags usually from old motherboards for PC and devboards, then a few wraps of bubble-wrap all stored each in their own Really Useful Box:

These boxes are outstanding and I am glad I bought many in England as they are kind of pricey in Germany and nothing else is as solid as these on the german market.

My copy of ibara I received in a modified Shock-Box that I bought from a chap on this forum many years ago so I kept it as it was and they are not that big those PCBs.
More Bromances = safer people
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

MintyTheCat wrote:I use anti-static bags usually from old motherboards for PC and devboards, then a few wraps of bubble-wrap all stored each in their own Really Useful Box:
I have two or three of these boxes; they're great for storing CAVE's PCBs as they're the perfect size. A little bit of anti-static bubble wrap and my copies of Mushi Futari can be neatly tucked away, one in each. They don't fit larger PCBs like some Konami and Namco games, but they might have alternate sizes available.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:I use anti-static bags usually from old motherboards for PC and devboards, then a few wraps of bubble-wrap all stored each in their own Really Useful Box:
I have two or three of these boxes; they're great for storing CAVE's PCBs as they're the perfect size. A little bit of anti-static bubble wrap and my copies of Mushi Futari can be neatly tucked away, one in each. They don't fit larger PCBs like some Konami and Namco games, but they might have alternate sizes available.
Yes, there are many sizes to be found. I pick the size that will fit each PCB :) I also keep SFC, PCE, NG AES and MD games in these boxes; I don't really have games on display and it is easier for me to keep them all together this way.
More Bromances = safer people
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Well...speaking from 36 years of storage and how the boards still looks clean and plays well....

This:

The cardboard boxes are as stiff as boards so it does not even crush when stacked.

And before you poo poo this (and even though it is also not my method of storage) THIRTY SIX years...

rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

this is how it is stored in store...

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I used to store mine in thin anti-static bags. Don't...they die.

My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Holy! :shock: man Rugdoctor, that's glorious!
WARNING: no refuge
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

There are multiple threads about this topic, decided to post here because it's the most recent one I could find.

While I'm not the first to come up with this, I didn't see it mentioned here and wanted to share it since I found it to be really safe & convenient.

There's these anti-ESD PCB shipping boxes that are like tailor-made for arcade PCBs (pictures at the end).
  • • The foam softly presses against the board when closed, holding it in place. It also acts as a shock absorber if e.g. dropped on floor. Nothing moves even when you shake it slightly (don't do it)
    • Your boards are protected from dust
    • Opening flap fits in firmly when closed. I don't think it would ever open even if dropped from a high self.
    • Perfect shape
I ordered them a while ago from wattbits(dot)com. Don't go there, the shop doesn't exist anymore it seems, in the meantime the domain has been adopted by some chinese money gambling setup :|

They can also be ordered from here, originally didn't order there because they didn't have them in stock at the time.

The ones in my photos are part no. BCC64394318F (394 x 318 x 64mm + pink profiled foam).
For most double layer PCBs, BCC96394318F (394 x 318 x 96mm + pink profiled foam) should fit nicely.
Spoiler
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Whoa that's a really good price! I had a hard time finding any some years ago, that would ship from (and to) Europe, which is why I ended up with the solution that I posted further back.

So thanks a lot for sharing this.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:I used to store mine in thin anti-static bags. Don't...they die.

Why’s this?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Mine are stored in a purpose built command center. When I pull back my statue head and press the red button, the bookcase slides open revealing a hidden staircase leading to a secret bunker 300 feet below ground. It's walls are made with 4 foot thick cobalt steel plates lined with lead and RFI shielding. In the center of the bunker is the vault which is guarded 24 hours a day by armed mercenaries.

The vault and bunker are hermetically sealed and temperature controlled. Access requires three forms of identification plus finger print and retina scans. Failure of the system to recognize both finger print and iris results in the immediate electrocution of the imposter.

Within the vault, each PCB is stored in individual and fully custom cases made from granite to ensure the perfect storage frequency. Each case rests on it's own vibration isolation platform. The atmosphere in there is pure inert Argon gas to prevent any known form of corrosion.

OK OK... I keep mine in cardboard boxes too...
drauch

Post by drauch »

Glad to know I'm not the only one who uses custom cardboard boxes to cover up their car from the sun's rays. It can be kind of a pain taking all thirty of them down every day before I drive to work, then put them back. Then of course when it rains they get all soggy and I have to buy them again. I've decided to just hot glue my entire car with pizza boxes. The layers of grease help prevent UV rays, and I'm also getting dinner with the purchase of each box. I recommend this.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drauch

Post by drauch »

But Martin, I thought you just got out of jail!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steven

Post by Steven »

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?
MJR

Post by MJR »

I've had mine piled in layers of bubble wrap under the bed for over a decade now. It's not perfect, but I only had to repair two of them since purchasing.