ALL YOUR SATURN ARE BELONG TO ME!!!!!!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

jp wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:That Saturn is pretty much worthless imo.
Are you seriously going to play Radiant SilverGun in the car?
Are you really going to refer to your Saturn when you get lost...only because you missed that turn due to intense chaining in SilverGun!?
Is the original Saturn really that ugly compared to this one?
Couldn't you spend that wad on something else, like maybe some PCB's and a CAB?
Do you really need anything else to put into a car to encourage thieves?

Personally, a Sega Saturn that will wipe your own ass would be a better investment.

there are those white ones...just add toilet paper...

Bro, I'm paying $1500 for it, so yeah, I'm going to be carrying it EVERYWHERE I go playing Saturn EVERYWHERE. While you silly geese have your DSs and PSPs... I'll be pimpin' Radiant Silvergun on the go. WHUT!

Mmmmm... love that Saturn. *maniacal laugh*
:shock: He's outta control! He...he..he's truly..."Trippin' the Saturn Pimptastic!" And MTV's XZibit aint even around.

That's cool and everything dude, but couldn't that $1,500 have gone towards completing your Saturn shmup-complete list? In any case, you'd better have some friends who are willing to drive your car all the time for you. :P Still though, I gotta respect. Us DS and PSP folks have indeed been owned. And being able to play Radiant, Souky, Garegga, ect. on a road trip would be pretty doggone neat. Make sure you give us full impressions and some pictures after you get it set up.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

What ever happend to good old style road trips, where you actually looked out the window rather than stick your face in a video game. I mean, you can play games anytime at home/arcade etc.. Road trips are supposed to be about "getting away"/ new experiences, not bringing everyday shit with you.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Dylan1CC wrote:Us DS and PSP folks have indeed been owned.

Can you imagine going up to someone with a PSP and saying "Yeah whatever, whatever check this bad boy out, this is what I'm talking about" Then you pull out this box attached to an extension lead with a tiny little screen poking out the top. Compairing PSP Ridge Racer to your 3D Saturn racers. The guy is completely going to laugh his ass off. There's a kid behind him with a mk1 Game Boy cracking up too.

There's no way people cart these things around.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
raiden

Post by raiden »

No, you can't hack the other portable screens. The screen goes into the cart slot on Saturns and hooks into one of the connections on the back.
well, but you don´t need a screen connector in your Saturn´s cart slot for it to send a display signal, so yes, of course you can hack other portable screens to work with a Saturn. However, the size would make it even less "portable" than this Navi Saturn, and power consumption would probably be even more of an issue. This Navi Saturn was developed late into the system´s cycle, so they could optimize power consumption by using better parts. If you´re strictly planning to use it in a car, however, no problem there.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Hey, we all gotta drop some huge chunk of money on some rediculous investment at some point. I mean, I dropped that much on music equipment one weekend...

Anyway JP, best of luck with it. It is the ULTIMATE Saturn!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I hate you for having all that cool PD stuff and making me feel so inferior with my scratched copy I bought without even owning a Saturn just for the music. :cry: :cry: :cry: If you excuse me, I'm going to go cuddle with my Eva 04 unit model here in the corner. :P
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Do you know how many kids in Africa could eat for a year with that $1,500. :?
umi

Post by umi »

Is that a trick question?
Nemo wrote:Do you know how many kids in Africa could eat for a year with that $1,500. :?
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

Yeah they COULD eat. But then they wouldn't be able to play saturn on the mine fields. Once you step on one, you will be stuck for a long time unless you don't want your legs blown off. Battery time is A&O when bringing your portable saturn with you, since you probably can live without food for 3-4 weeks or so. If you stuff your rugsack with food then you'll last even longer. So be carefull about how you distribute your free space; 50% batterys, and 50% food. Wouldn't wanna be around without your radiant silvergun while sitting on a GODAMN MINE.

PS: Don't forget to bring something to shoot with, and no, I'm not talking about a friggin pad. At night if the mine won't blow off your legs, then somone or something will chew em up for sure. And don't think a big warning sign "no attitude for gains" will scare em of.
jp

Post by jp »

Nemo wrote:Do you know how many kids in Africa could eat for a year with that $1,500. :?

Yes... because what was going through my mind during the auction was:

"Should I donate $1500 to Africa or... buy a Saturn? Eh, fuck 'em, Saturn time!"

Honestly man, if I didn't spend $1500 on the Saturn I would've spent it on something else. Whether it be my female friend that'll I'll probably never wind up dating or just a PC-Engine Duo RX and some games. I had no intention of saving up $1500 for starving people, I'll let the celebrities who need self esteem boost do that.

As for spending the money to finish off the shmup collection:
I could've. But next year Battle Garegga and Cho Aniki and the Strikers games will still be readily available, the Hitachi Navi HiSaturn, will not. ;)
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

so you spent the 1500 out of rage because you cant get the girl you want? compare it to tuna..theres other fishes in the sea...*run and hides*just lost all respect whatsoever i had on this forum*
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:What ever happend to good old style road trips, where you actually looked out the window rather than stick your face in a video game. I mean, you can play games anytime at home/arcade etc.. Road trips are supposed to be about "getting away"/ new experiences, not bringing everyday shit with you.
I only pull out a game when we're on a looong, drab highway with little or no scenery.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

99pence wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:Us DS and PSP folks have indeed been owned.

Can you imagine going up to someone with a PSP and saying "Yeah whatever, whatever check this bad boy out, this is what I'm talking about" Then you pull out this box attached to an extension lead with a tiny little screen poking out the top. Compairing PSP Ridge Racer to your 3D Saturn racers. The guy is completely going to laugh his ass off. There's a kid behind him with a mk1 Game Boy cracking up too.

There's no way people cart these things around.
lol Good point...but jp is still gonna be one "niche" homie, know what ah'm sayin'?!
jp: But next year Battle Garegga and Cho Aniki and the Strikers games will still be readily available, the Hitachi Navi HiSaturn, will not.
You still don't have Strikers or Garegga? pffft You can wave goodbye to my support from here on out. :P You better at least have Radiant.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

He did, but it exploded. :oops:
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

mannerbot wrote:He did, but it exploded. :oops:
Wait, I remember that... and then jp threw his console against the wall?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

^^JP, please make sure your 1.5 K Sattie doesn't suffer the same fate. Be very, very careful when playing a frustrating game.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Probably a good handful of them, but if everyone who spent money on leisurely things instead donated all their money to Africa, they'd be hungry and bored and in need of donations from these now well-fed kids in Africa.

It's his money. He's the one who decides to feed kids in Africa or not. :?
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

If jp treats his HiSaturn with the same "loving care" as his previous Saturn, someone out there will feed him to the hungry children of Africa :lol:
jp

Post by jp »

The Saturn destroyed my copy of Radiant Silvergun. It was evil. It had been possessed by vile spirits and it had to be dealt with. :evil:

Shortly after the death of my copy of RS, I bought a disc only copy, since that occured right around Christmas, so yes, I've still got RS, and in fact it was the first Saturn shmup I ever owned. :D

Also, out of my 24 Saturns only one has ever been smashed to pieces, and that was for destroying a game I bought for $60 that had increased in price three fold or so. So that Saturn needed to be dealt with. :evil:

As for not owning Garegga or Strikers:
1. I want Garegga to be the final Saturn shmup I buy, kind of a going out with a bang kinda deal.
2. I don't like Psikyo, so I just put off Strikers. :) I've got Gunbird anyways.

As for buying my Saturn out of rage, no. Although I will say that I'll be asking the girl out (well, we already go out to eat and to movies and hang out all the time) the week before I get the Navi HiSaturn, so if she says no I'll just be like "Eh, I got a Navi HiSaturn."
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

JP that is one cool system and I for one say it was money well spent. Anyway yeah I think that Saturn had it coming. You can't let them get away with ruining games otherwise the other ones will think they can get away with it too. It's best to set an example.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
jp

Post by jp »

The n00b wrote:JP that is one cool system and I for one say it was money well spent. Anyway yeah I think that Saturn had it coming. You can't let them get away with ruining games otherwise the other ones will think they can get away with it too. It's best to set an example.
Word homie. That, and I didn't want anymore games getting destroyed in it.

At any rate, here's some info on the Navi HiSaturn that the seller provided me with, I enjoyed reading it, so I'll share. 8)

"Actually, the screen has some sort of locking/attachment mechanism on the back of the saturn so it doesn't really go into the cartridge port. So you can play your 4MB games (metal slug.etc) on the saturn. The CD's required are NAVIKEN discs, I don't know much about them or their actual name, so I don't know how to get them. An antenna may also be required because there is a port for one in the back and I got one question while I was auctioning this off as to whether or not one was included. There is an extra naviken logo on the side of it so that's what I refer to the the GPS CD's as. The system plays US NTSC games, not games from other countries. Why this is, I could not tell you. It has not been modified by me, and as far as I know, it has never been modified. I too though that it was a Japanese only system but I don't really know. ALSO! You can not play the screen on a standard saturn!!! There is a special screen port in the back of the NAVI saturn. Like all the other numerous features exclusive to this saturn, the screen is made for this system only too! The reason it is so rare, though, is for some reason it was sold separately at a much higher price- so only about half the paople that bought the system bought the screen. You may want to look into a Stepdown converter when you get the system because the votage may be different and I doubt you would want to fry the saturn.
For a little more info about the screen- the top of the Navigational saturn is realtively flat as opposed to the curved top of the standard saturn, and the top of the system was clearly designed with a fold-up scheme in mind. You can put the screen face down against the system (the screen can be lifted up and down like a lap-top), so that you don't damage your screen by leaving it up. On top of that, the screen is surprisingly scratch-resistant, so there are no marks on it. Here is some info I found on the screen:

It was a backlit active-matrix TFT screen, a very expensive process at the time, with resolution, clarity and contrast surpassing any other console screen - equal in vibrancy but larger than the Turbo Express. It draws its power from the system, so no additional power supply is required. It clips to the back of the system and plugs in with a short cable to the 'monitor out' port. When closed it sits flush with the CD door, and has quite a slim profile, when closed the system is approximately the same height as a normal Saturn. The screen is capable of displaying both interlaced and non-interlaced video. It has a sliding volume control, and one speaker, as well as tint + brightness controls and a Front/Rear switch.

The saturn retailed for $1,480.00 and the screen retailed at $450.00 when it was released and only 2,000 units are thought to exhist as well as only 1,000 LCD Screens. "

So here are my technical questions:
1. I have several JP Saturns. Do I really need a converter? I'm not frying a $1500 console and I doubt sega-parts would be much help if I did. Or Hitachi for that matter.

2. You guys think I'm going to need to track down a Saturn specific antenna to use the GPS system? Or do you think any GPS system would work?

3. Why the fuck does it only play US games? That doesn't even begin to make sense.

I guess I should shoot Hitachi an email once I get it, find out some more info on it. Mmmmmm... the anticipation.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

so now..you cant play your RSG on the get go since it can only play US games?
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

jp wrote: 3. Why the fuck does it only play US games? That doesn't even begin to make sense.
:shock:

"Impossible! There must be some mistake." ©GV
X - P - B
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

jp wrote:Actually, the screen has some sort of locking/attachment mechanism on the back of the saturn so it doesn't really go into the cartridge port. So you can play your 4MB games (metal slug.etc) on the saturn.
Sounds like you should be able to use an ST-Key, Action Replay or other converter cart to allow simple access to imports, no?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Minzoku wrote:
Probably a good handful of them, but if everyone who spent money on leisurely things instead donated all their money to Africa, they'd be hungry and bored and in need of donations from these now well-fed kids in Africa.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I'm a saint and give all my money to charity, but there is a difference between lesiurely things and frivolous ones.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

The n00b wrote:JP that is one cool system and I for one say it was money well spent. Anyway yeah I think that Saturn had it coming. You can't let them get away with ruining games otherwise the other ones will think they can get away with it too. It's best to set an example.
:lol:
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Neon

Post by Neon »

well, but you don´t need a screen connector in your Saturn´s cart slot for it to send a display signal, so yes, of course you can hack other portable screens to work with a Saturn. However, the size would make it even less "portable" than this Navi Saturn, and power consumption would probably be even more of an issue. This Navi Saturn was developed late into the system´s cycle, so they could optimize power consumption by using better parts. If you´re strictly planning to use it in a car, however, no problem there.
I think I could do it...wait till I have a summer job and spare dough, I will hack a portable gamecube or xbox screen (NOT ps2 :wink: ) so jp can carry around a cheap scummy saturn and not the rare00rz $1500 one.
umi

Post by umi »

Such ignorance :/ Care to explain that difference? What's the magic number?
Nemo wrote:I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I'm a saint and give all my money to charity, but there is a difference between lesiurely things and frivolous ones.
judesalmon

Post by judesalmon »

Is there a salute emoticon? If there was one that is what I would direct at jp right now.

A very impressive purchase and a real bargain! If I still used eBay I'd probably have bid on that!

And I was impressed with the $500 I laid out for a PDO Xbox...
Be attitude for gains:
1) Be praying...
2) Be praying...
3) Be praying...

And a shameless plug for the stuff I'm selling on eBay, if you're into that sort of thing.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Nemo wrote:
Minzoku wrote:

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I'm a saint and give all my money to charity, but there is a difference between lesiurely things and frivolous ones.
But it's is money. He can be frivolous if he wants. Hell he can wipe his own arse with the money and set it on fire if he wants......seems a bit frivolous mind. :roll:
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM