shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: The Useless Facts Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:41 am 

6t8k wrote:
Concerning the fine lore of shmups featuring the horsehead nebula, I know of two instances:

• The shorter bonus stages in Super Aleste/Space Megaforce:

• Stage 5 in the first Rayxanber (and what a splendid specimen it is!):

Do you know of more exemplars?

Epic Megagames' (as they were then known) Kiloblaster for DOS.

I remember it as a competent Galaga-esque, but the big selling point was its ray-traced backgrounds. It did look kinda nice at the time, the horsehead BG really stuck out in memory. Mad props to DOS Games Archive, who regularly help me recover these childhood snatches of shareware. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:04 pm 

Yo straight up photo, leaving little room for stylistic nuance, nevertheless counts of course, nice. :mrgreen:

Setting aside the occasional solar system planet perhaps, there's no celestial body more iconic as an inspiration for space backgrounds than that animalized cloud of matter!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 pm 

ack, this is killing me - something i played definitely had a prominent featuring of the horsehead nebula, but i can't remember what it was. a puzzle game background, maybe? i really can't remember, this memory is super fragmented.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 pm 

Not a shmup, but here's another exquisite, albeit small one. Game's Super Widget, never played that one:

kitten: I recalled TGM3 and Cosmo Gang: The Puzzle had some nice space-themed backdrops. Had a quick look, but no horsehead, alas :<

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:43 am 

Toshiaki Takatori, one of Gradius II programmer said they made Gradius II graphically advanced so no home ports would exist, but they get rekt by Umechan team for their Famicom port.

They did it again with Xexex this time and voila they won! Graphically and presentation way too ahead for a 1991 game, this is where 32 bit were still in development and 16 bit reached it's peak. Literally no home ports of Xexex exist until 16 years later via PSP Salamander Portable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm 

copy-paster wrote:
Toshiaki Takatori, one of Gradius II programmer said they made Gradius II graphically advanced so no home ports would exist, but they get rekt by Umechan team for their Famicom port.

Gradius II is really more of an arrange ishoku than a a straight port. Then again, the same could be said of all AC-to-FC ports from the late 80's and 90's.

Quote:
They did it again with Xexex this time and voila they won! Graphically and presentation way too ahead for a 1991 game, this is where 32 bit were still in development and 16 bit reached it's peak. Literally no home ports of Xexex exist until 16 years later via PSP Salamander Portable.

The first level of XEXEX was reproduced in Ganbare Goemon 2 on the Super Famicom though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:37 pm 

Jonny2x4 wrote:
The first level of XEXEX was reproduced in Ganbare Goemon 2 on the Super Famicom though.

I believe it was only the stage 2, the one with huge colorful atoms, then again that stage is easy to replicate in SFC. I'm pretty sure SFC could handle Xexex with no problem at the cost of lo-fi graphics and imperfect scaling effect, perhaps like how Axelay looks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 am 

Back in the 1960s, the IBM 1401 was deemed a "portable computer" because a complete working setup was small enough to be moved around by truck.

source

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:45 pm 

More Londoners may have been killed by pollution in 1952 than by V2 rockets during WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 pm 

Stormwatch wrote:
Back in the 1960s, the IBM 1401 was deemed a "portable computer" because a complete working setup was small enough to be moved around by truck.

Ahah, nice one. Reminds me of another useless fact : my grandpa used to work on those kind of computers in the 60's too, and he completely stopped following computers evolution when he quit work in the early 80's.
Early 2000's, I had this very conversation with him :
- I bought a new computer, it has 8 MB of RAM memory.
- MB, what is that ?
- Megabytes, that is a million of bytes.
- Oh I see, so you have 8 million bytes of memories to store your datas ? But what are you gonna do with all that ? No one can use that much memory.
- No this is not ROM memory to store data, this is RAM memory, the one used to make the computation.
- What are you telling me ?!?
- I say I have 8 millions of bytes of memories dedicated to computation in my new computer.
- Shut up, you dont know nothing about computers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:55 am 

Harvey Weinstein has a tiny, disease-ravaged pen0r! :o

Now, usefully, here is how you can avoid Fournier's Gangrene! It tends to strike the elderly, diabetic, or otherwise immuno-compromised, but this strapping 29y/o lad beat his wiener to a pulp while using shampoo as lube (oh dear sweet Jesus :shock:), and was stricken!

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criem/2012/154025/
(IMAGES OF DISEASED PENOR & NUTSACK, MATURE AUDIENCE ONLY)

Eat right and take care of your junk, and for the love of fuck, don't beat your meat raw! Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:20 pm 

Z-Gundam theme singer Hiroko Moriguchi had her own arcade game https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=morig ... il&id=1673

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 pm 

The oldest system that MESS can emulate is the SSEM computer.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27