The Useless Facts Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
captain ahar

Re: The Useless Facts Thread

Post by captain ahar »

ED-057 wrote:I`m going to take this to work and sit and read slashdot, see how many people walk by and do a double take...
Awesome, it is always fun to see people mucking about with old computers. One of my favorite things to read about on the internet. :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Everyone knows that, despite their rivalry back then, a few Sega titles were ported to the NES. But was any Nintendo game ever officially released on a Sega system?

The answer is yes: Pokémon Advance Generation for the Sega Pico!
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Stormwatch wrote:Everyone knows that, despite their rivalry back then, a few Sega titles were ported to the NES. But was any Nintendo game ever officially released on a Sega system?

The answer is yes: Pokémon Advance Generation for the Sega Pico!
Wow, that's pretty insane. Never would have guessed.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Only expensive things are aerodynamic.

For what reason I have no idea.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I was always told that removing the keys from the car's ignition while the engine is running will kill it, or at least damage the car in some way. Does anyone know if this is true?

Some time ago an incident with my cousin led to someone pulling the keys from the ignition and the engine kept running just fine.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Only expensive things are aerodynamic.

For what reason I have no idea.
Paper airplanes?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

[quote="Ruldra"]I was always told that removing the keys from the car's ignition while the engine is running will kill it, or at least damage the car in some way. Does anyone know if this is true?

Some time ago an incident with my cousin led to someone pulling the keys from the ignition and the engine kept running just fine.

the keys fall out of friends ignition all the time. he actually left it on in the parking lot once when he went to class after he took the keys out. car works fine otherwise
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Jon Bon Jovi's first professional recording was the lead vocals on the song "R2-D2 We Wish You A Merry Christmas", from Christmas in the Stars: Star Wars Christmas Album.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Useless fact: If your front wheel is on somebody's chest, pull out the jack and put that under the other wheel if you have to drive off. But it would probably be better to put the vehicle in neutral and push it off (using the jack, again, if you have one, or even a big stone would probably be better).
rancor

Post by rancor »

The first Internet domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com on March 15, 1985.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The comedy flick, Another Stakeout (sequel to Stakeout), didn't have a script and was entirely ad-libbed from beginning to it's eventual conclusion.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Edit: Wrong Thread :oops:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

silvergunner wrote:Edit: Wrong Thread :oops:
Speaking of useless facts!

Also, there is a "delete post" button. I usually consider that a useless fact.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

i had no idea there was a delete post button. that being noted is useful, which is off topic from this thread Oscuro

the train crash in Roger Rabbit shows a different death or murder in every single frame of the crash. and on the topic of that movie, there is also a frame from the theaters and vhs that has Jessica Rabbits vajayjay when she flies out of the car near the tunnel. i had my doubts and popped in the vhs, it's a lil blurry, but definitely there. Donald duck also calls Daffy a "goddamn stubborn nigger" when they're playing piano arguing. you'll never look at that movie the same after you've seen and heard these subtleties which won't be so subtle anymore. creepy shit Disney, as always.

subtleties turns out to be a real word, didn't sound like one in my head
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Also, there is a "delete post" button. I usually consider that a useless fact.
Useless fact: you can only delete your post if no one posted after you.
mastermx wrote:
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

nash87 wrote:Donald duck also calls Daffy a "goddamn stubborn nigger" when they're playing piano arguing.
Wrong.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Useless fact: The more controversial a "hidden secret" in a Disney (or other) movie is supposed to be, the more likely it is to be wrong! Suicide midget myth in Wiz of Oz, for example.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

nash87 wrote:i had no idea there was a delete post button. that being noted is useful, which is off topic from this thread Oscuro

the train crash in Roger Rabbit shows a different death or murder in every single frame of the crash. and on the topic of that movie, there is also a frame from the theaters and vhs that has Jessica Rabbits vajayjay when she flies out of the car near the tunnel. i had my doubts and popped in the vhs, it's a lil blurry, but definitely there. Donald duck also calls Daffy a "goddamn stubborn nigger" when they're playing piano arguing. you'll never look at that movie the same after you've seen and heard these subtleties which won't be so subtle anymore. creepy shit Disney, as always.

subtleties turns out to be a real word, didn't sound like one in my head
Jessica's tits are, also, present in the 1st-printing LD edition as well if you do a frame-by-frame analysis of that particular scene in crystal clarity. Caused a big uproar with a single frame of her nipples showing (that subquent LD pressings of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" flick omitted it thereafter). I should check to see if it's present on the 1st-printing DVD edition.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
nash87

Post by nash87 »

Stormwatch wrote:
nash87 wrote:Donald duck also calls Daffy a "goddamn stubborn nigger" when they're playing piano arguing.
Wrong.
whateva honky. go listen for yourself, i'll never be able to un hear what has already been heard.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

ED-057 wrote:I`m going to take this to work and sit and read slashdot, see how many people walk by and do a double take...
haha, last year I tried to use a Handspring Vistor. Kinda worked, too. Too bulky though, especially when I was also carrying a mobile phone.

I have an HP-95LX but I'd never use it because it's one of the prototypes. Also, it seems even more clumsy to use than the tap-touchscreen keyboard, and the screen resolution is not that high. Would be insane to try to connect it to a modern PC too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

In Castlevania Bloodlines, holding the attack and jump buttons during the stage clear fanfare will cause RAPID ATTACKING AND JUMPING ACTION (just like doing the same in NES CV).

In the Japanese original, Vampire Killer, holding the buttons produces no such effect!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:In the Japanese original, Vampire Killer, holding the buttons produces no such effect!
I wasted all that fucking money
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, me too. :[ Considering either hitting my VK with a hammer or hunting down the cretin that sold me it. Image

You also get MISSING BATS in a few places on expert difficulty, but thankfully, ghosts are all present and accounted for. I think the damage scale is milder too but I can't be arsed caring about that stuff anymore, even to the extent of booting up a Bloodlines ROM, since if you're getting beaten up enough to need it you're probably a cold weenie as opposed to a real hot dog anyway.

Since this is the useless facts thread, I might as well toss out the old "Hard Corps JP version has hitpoints" chestnut with an added caveat that the game is chock-full of boring patterns and stages anyway. Not even a no-miss can spice that frigid weenie up. Save cash like me!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

BIL wrote:ghosts are all present and accounted for
Of course, dear fellow - an eminently more dependable class of henchmen. I wouldn't have a bat within ten miles of my estate. Shirkers, to a man.
JBC

Post by JBC »

My cat's names are Vice President Jefferson Titsworth and Trevor McFurface aka VP Jeffy Titz & The Fresh Trev.
Godzilla was an inside job
BIL

Post by BIL »

Klatrymadon wrote:Of course, dear fellow - an eminently more dependable class of henchmen. I wouldn't have a bat within ten miles of my estate. Shirkers, to a man.

I would go one further and collectively declare bats, medusa heads and bone towers a rabble of incorrigibly work-shy buggerels. They lack any and all of the humble ghost's dogged commitment to bumping into the player repeatedly. It would have been a travesty if Vampire Killer had neglected even one of this most persistent of employees. That Bloodlines required extra bats to make up for their shoddy rodent work ethic says it all, I contend.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

On a Windows-based PC, you cannot create or rename any folder with the following names:

CON
PRN
AUX
NUL
LPT1
COM1
mastermx wrote:
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

The airport for the country Gibraltar has its runway intersect with road transportation towards Spain due to limitation of space.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/gibraltar-ai ... nway.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1580754 ... r_embedded
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

In 1990, a CD burner cost $30,000, and each blank CD cost $50. True story.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

In Samurai Shodown IV and V, there is a stage called "Obama".
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Stormwatch wrote:In Samurai Shodown IV and V, there is a stage called "Obama".
Named after an actual region of Japan, I believe.