The Useless Facts Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: The Useless Facts Thread

Post by BIL »

6t8k wrote:Concerning the fine lore of shmups featuring the horsehead nebula, I know of two instances:

• The shorter bonus stages in Super Aleste/Space Megaforce:

• Stage 5 in the first Rayxanber (and what a splendid specimen it is!):

Do you know of more exemplars?
Epic Megagames' (as they were then known) Kiloblaster for DOS.

I remember it as a competent Galaga-esque, but the big selling point was its ray-traced backgrounds. It did look kinda nice at the time, the horsehead BG really stuck out in memory. Mad props to DOS Games Archive, who regularly help me recover these childhood snatches of shareware. :mrgreen:
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Yo straight up photo, leaving little room for stylistic nuance, nevertheless counts of course, nice. :mrgreen:

Setting aside the occasional solar system planet perhaps, there's no celestial body more iconic as an inspiration for space backgrounds than that animalized cloud of matter!
kitten

Post by kitten »

ack, this is killing me - something i played definitely had a prominent featuring of the horsehead nebula, but i can't remember what it was. a puzzle game background, maybe? i really can't remember, this memory is super fragmented.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Not a shmup, but here's another exquisite, albeit small one. Game's Super Widget, never played that one:

kitten: I recalled TGM3 and Cosmo Gang: The Puzzle had some nice space-themed backdrops. Had a quick look, but no horsehead, alas :<
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Toshiaki Takatori, one of Gradius II programmer said they made Gradius II graphically advanced so no home ports would exist, but they get rekt by Umechan team for their Famicom port.

They did it again with Xexex this time and voila they won! Graphically and presentation way too ahead for a 1991 game, this is where 32 bit were still in development and 16 bit reached it's peak. Literally no home ports of Xexex exist until 16 years later via PSP Salamander Portable.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

copy-paster wrote:Toshiaki Takatori, one of Gradius II programmer said they made Gradius II graphically advanced so no home ports would exist, but they get rekt by Umechan team for their Famicom port.
Gradius II is really more of an arrange ishoku than a a straight port. Then again, the same could be said of all AC-to-FC ports from the late 80's and 90's.
They did it again with Xexex this time and voila they won! Graphically and presentation way too ahead for a 1991 game, this is where 32 bit were still in development and 16 bit reached it's peak. Literally no home ports of Xexex exist until 16 years later via PSP Salamander Portable.
The first level of XEXEX was reproduced in Ganbare Goemon 2 on the Super Famicom though.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Jonny2x4 wrote:The first level of XEXEX was reproduced in Ganbare Goemon 2 on the Super Famicom though.
I believe it was only the stage 2, the one with huge colorful atoms, then again that stage is easy to replicate in SFC. I'm pretty sure SFC could handle Xexex with no problem at the cost of lo-fi graphics and imperfect scaling effect, perhaps like how Axelay looks.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Back in the 1960s, the IBM 1401 was deemed a "portable computer" because a complete working setup was small enough to be moved around by truck.

source
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

More Londoners may have been killed by pollution in 1952 than by V2 rockets during WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London
guigui

Post by guigui »

Stormwatch wrote:Back in the 1960s, the IBM 1401 was deemed a "portable computer" because a complete working setup was small enough to be moved around by truck.
Ahah, nice one. Reminds me of another useless fact : my grandpa used to work on those kind of computers in the 60's too, and he completely stopped following computers evolution when he quit work in the early 80's.
Early 2000's, I had this very conversation with him :
- I bought a new computer, it has 8 MB of RAM memory.
- MB, what is that ?
- Megabytes, that is a million of bytes.
- Oh I see, so you have 8 million bytes of memories to store your datas ? But what are you gonna do with all that ? No one can use that much memory.
- No this is not ROM memory to store data, this is RAM memory, the one used to make the computation.
- What are you telling me ?!?
- I say I have 8 millions of bytes of memories dedicated to computation in my new computer.
- Shut up, you dont know nothing about computers.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Harvey Weinstein has a tiny, disease-ravaged pen0r! :o

Now, usefully, here is how you can avoid Fournier's Gangrene! It tends to strike the elderly, diabetic, or otherwise immuno-compromised, but this strapping 29y/o lad beat his wiener to a pulp while using shampoo as lube (oh dear sweet Jesus :shock:), and was stricken!

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criem/2012/154025/
(IMAGES OF DISEASED PENOR & NUTSACK, MATURE AUDIENCE ONLY)

Eat right and take care of your junk, and for the love of fuck, don't beat your meat raw! Image
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Z-Gundam theme singer Hiroko Moriguchi had her own arcade game https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=morig ... il&id=1673
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

The oldest system that MESS can emulate is the SSEM computer.
BIL

Post by BIL »

In Pine Barrens, s3.11 of The Sopranos, James Gandolfini asked Stephen R. Schirippa to surprise him when Bobby arrives in full Elmer Fudd gear, as unlike his character, Gandolfini had already seen him in the getup. Schirippa obliged by walking into shot wielding a fucking massive dildo, almost corpsing Uncle Junior's Dom Chianese with the memorably gigantic false dong. src Image
heatimusZ4

Post by heatimusZ4 »

Newgrounds' 2005 legendary techno musician "Clayton Tremmel" aka Dimrain47 have finally made a return after 7 years of long hiatus since 2012, creator of many classic tracks such as "At the speed of Light", "Surface", "Operation: Evolution", "Jetstream!", "Forsaken Neon" and many more, which used in many popular flash games back then and indie mobile games aswell.
only those who heard his music a while back knows how awesome his masterpieces really are! >:

Lordin' with the L.B !
----
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Pigs can play video games with their snouts

"Still, pigs are no match for humans when playing games"

I say let them have at go at muchi muchi pork and we'll see about that
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Jonny2x4 wrote:Gradius II is really more of an arrange ishoku than a a straight port. Then again, the same could be said of all AC-to-FC ports from the late 80's and 90's.
Wasn't Juju Densetsu on the Famicom a mostly straight port? The same could be said for Sunsoft's Sega conversions.

EDIT: Just realized I was replying to a post from over six months ago.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Crowdfunding campaign up on Makuake to resurrect Phantasm Soldier Valis for Switch
https://www.makuake.com/project/valis/
(goal already met)
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

The famous "understand the concept of love" line from the Jet Set Radio Future theme is sampled from a 1968 speech by black power activist Stokely Carmichael. In that specific part, he's explaining why Israel is stolen land and the movement should support the Palestinians.

Audio, skip to 57:00: https://archive.org/details/pra-BB1708
Transcript: https://www.abibitumi.com/community/mil ... ure-stoke/
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

penguins crAp turds out of their assholes
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

The longest marathon time record was set by Japanese runner Shizo Kanakuri. In the 1912 Stockholm Olympics, he fell unconscious midway through the race; embarassed, he returned to Japan without notifying the race officials, and was considered legally missing in Sweden. In 1967, he was given the chance to return and complete the 40km race, clocking at 54 years, 8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 20.3 seconds -- an average speed of 8.35 centimeters per hour.
dlxmax

Post by dlxmax »

Useless fact: any shmup is better than watching these spectatorless Olympic games!