Dragon Quest XI [PS4/3DS/SWITCH]

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
evil_ash_xero

Re: Dragon Quest XI [PS4/3DS/SWITCH]

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sumez wrote:I have seen a LOT of feedback on the game already. From Japanese media as well as people playing imports both with and without understanding of Japanese. And pretty much everyone loves it unconditionally. But since these people are all bound to be super fans of the series to begin with, I'd say it's alright to factor in a bit of bias. (but still, even among fans, DQ9 was quite divisive compared to this)

The only thing close to criticism I have seen is that the game is much "easier" than the standard for the series. However, there's a set of "hard mode" challenges you can enable on your game file before starting out (they can be disabled, but never re-enabled) that supposedly makes the game extremely hardcore.
They're kind of odd though. Like not being able to shop, or wear armor. I would prefer just a double damage or whatever.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't know, I think the other way to do it is a lot more interesting. I know the "randomly don't do anything" one sounds stupid, but it feels very much in line with the way Dragon Quest has always been designed. The whole "gambling" aspect that people like to point out. The game's combat usually only gets interesting when unexpected stuff starts to happen.

Also, not being able to shop is a huge game changer in a game such as this.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I would prefer just a double damage or whatever.
Ack! Booo! Booo! Boooooooooo!

I hate it when games do this. "We just changed the numbers in one place in the damage function a little lol." So boring and lazy.

Single character challenges, crappy class challenges, low level challenges, unarmed challenges, infinitely more interesting. Maybe not as interesting as actually taking the time and effort to create Hard Mode palette swap monsters with different skills and more complex monster encounters.

What's even the point of a different mode if it plays out the exact same way.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

BryanM wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I would prefer just a double damage or whatever.
Ack! Booo! Booo! Boooooooooo!

I hate it when games do this. "We just changed the numbers in one place in the damage function a little lol." So boring and lazy.

Single character challenges, crappy class challenges, low level challenges, unarmed challenges, infinitely more interesting. Maybe not as interesting as actually taking the time and effort to create Hard Mode palette swap monsters with different skills and more complex monster encounters.

What's even the point of a different mode if it plays out the exact same way.
It is lazy, but it works for me if they're too lazy to do something like what you're asking. I was grateful for it in Gravity Rush 2.

Also, I wonder what became of that poor girl, in your avatar. :lol:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Casper flew too close to the sun, got touched by the noodly appendage of a vorlon, and decided to save america by destroying america.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/28/dr ... er-4-2018/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/28/dr ... uch-later/
It's coming September 4th this year for PS4 and PC. They won't be localizing the 3DS version. :?
Oh well.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
STG

Post by STG »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/28/dr ... er-4-2018/
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/28/dr ... uch-later/
It's coming September 4th this year for PS4 and PC. They won't be localizing the 3DS version. :?
Oh well.
Damn, that is disappointing about the 3DS version, really liked the look of that game. But hey, no problems picking up the PS4 version, that works for me!
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Finally a release date for the west, but no 3DS port over here? That sucks...
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bummed about the lack of 3DS. Not that I was planning on buying that (at least not right away), but it shows Square's priorities and helps cement that the 3DS is probably dead by now.

Surprised they didn't announce a simultaneous Switch release, but I guess it would be against its MO if it didn't get the same games as everyone else, except a year later. However, I was expecting that was the cause of the insanely delayed announcement. It seems they didn't relax too much though, I'm digging the reworked interface, and even though I don't care for the voice acting, they did a surprisingly good job for DQ8, and this one seems solid as well. This game could still turn out to be the true comeback of DQ in the west.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIG PSA for anyone who haven't started the game yet!

The game's "draconian challenges" are extra modes you can activate to make the game harder. Some are silly (like randomly missing turns), while others are IMO absolutely mandatory.

Activating them is a bit obscure as you have to press a button while entering your name (there's a text below the prompt indicating it, but it's easy to miss), and once the game has started you can't activate it for that save. But if you activate them, you can always turn them off, so you might as well start with all of them, though there are specifically three of them I would recommend.

I do think some detract from the actual game design (such as being unable to buy from shops), so I'd say those are mostly extra challenges for subsequent playthroughs. However, if you want to have fun with the game, you absolutely need to activate the one called "Strong Monsters"!

When the game came out in Japan, one common complaint was that the game was too easy. The "strong monsters" mode added for the West remedies that, and then some. It's baffling how well balanced it is, and I find it hard to believe the game wasn't designed with this balance in mind in the first place.
Instead of being a dumb walkover, every fight will now pose some sort of challenge, and even against regular encounters you'll have to always decide between wasting resources on healing, or taking chances. It really feels every bit like classic Dragon Quest, and should have been the default mode.

I also activated the settings that prevents grinding on "lower" level enemies (which activates surprisingly fast, pretty much forcing me to move ahead constantly), as well as the one that prevents me from fleeing, for that extra bit of consequence. And so far I've been enjoying the challenge thoroughly. It's not super hard, but it feels like, well, like it's supposed to.
evil_ash_xero wrote: They're kind of odd though. Like not being able to shop, or wear armor. I would prefer just a double damage or whatever.
Just quoting this, because you got pretty much what you asked for, and it works way better than anyone would have expected. This wasn't just a lazy damage modifier though, but a seriously thorough rebalancing of the game.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

My wife & I just broke 100 hours earlier tonight. This fucking game, you guys.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Waiting for someone to translate the 3DS version with the English text from the available versions, I guess. PC version's system reqs are a bit higher for my PC, and I don't own a PS4.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Now if we could only get a orchestra mod, for the PC version.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The music sounds absolutely horrid. It's not the music itself but the insanely awful selection of synthetic instruments trying to play like a real orchestra, which is doesn't even come close to. I think DQ Builders and Heroes manages to approach something that sounded like good orchestrations of the classic themes. This game feels like it's intentionally trying to avoid that, and make the player mute the game.

I'm not gonna comment any more on the music, because the rest of the game is great.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:The music sounds absolutely horrid.
Ouch. That's genuinely surprising.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I see this sentiment about the music all over the Internet and it just bewilders me. I have been playing the game like my life depends on it since before the release and I’ve never noticed any obvious problem with the music. It sounds like a Dragon Quest game. More variety would be nice, maybe? There is room for improvement, sure. The orchestral soundtrack being integrated into the game in the Dragon Quest VIII localization was definitely a nice touch. But Jesus, people are losing their shit over the music in this game! It’s a strange detail to get hung up on and it makes me sad to see since this damned video game is the best thing to grace the Japanese role-playing game genre in nearly two decades.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I kno, it's not exactly a series known for its riveting tunes. It ain't exactly Etrian Odyssey or whatever the FF6 guy is doing these days.

Only music I can firmly remember from DQ is from the very first game. Heck, in my brain the overworld theme might have been rewritten by The Nameless Game's version of the song.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Necronopticous wrote:The orchestral soundtrack being integrated into the game in the Dragon Quest VIII localization was definitely a nice touch.
That's the problem right there, it upped expectations from the Western audiences, and now it's too late. Japan probably doesn't care, they buy the cd's anyway.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Dragon Quest XI approaches genre greatness not seen since the likes of Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy IX. (I do not invoke such titles lightly.) I pity those who throw in the towel over a run-of-the-mill soundtrack. C'est la vie.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Necronopticous wrote:Dragon Quest XI approaches genre greatness not seen since the likes of Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy IX. (I do not invoke such titles lightly.) I pity those who throw in the towel over a run-of-the-mill soundtrack. C'est la vie.
I agree too, just stating a fact. People will nitpick on everything. Hell, even I still do with the fact they didn't localize the 3DS version. :lol:
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I'm holding out for the Switch release but it's getting harder and harder.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Sumez wrote:
Xyga wrote: Could be okay if there's significantly more challenge in the form of side/post game contents (and not exclusively hardgrind/fetchfest, hopefully)

EDIT: is there?
There's definitely postgame content. It's been a DQ staple for a while (also, it's confirmed by people who beat the game)
I realize I'm replying to posts from over a year ago here, but I'd just like to confirm that Dragon Quest XI does, indeed, have post-game content.

Dragon Quest XI has post-game content like Harvey Weinstein's past has sexual abuse content.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Necronopticous wrote:It’s a strange detail to get hung up on and it makes me sad to see since this damned video game is the best thing to grace the Japanese role-playing game genre in nearly two decades.
I guess if you don't consider it painful to listen to, it must come across as a strange detail to you, but I envy you for that.
Like I said, I don't want to go further into details about that, because everything else about the game is great, and it doesn't deserve to be tied up by it.
Last edited by Sumez on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Check out the soundtrack we SHOULD have gotten. I really hope someone can get this to work. I hear some tracks may not be doable.

The main overworld theme that pisses everyone off starts at 2:13. It has a lovely intro.

I mean, this all sounds so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD3P40CmCYQ&t

I hear it's the composer's issue. He doesn't want it in the game, so it doesn't cut into the sales of the CDs and concerts. Lame. He's like 87. Why so greedy, at that age? Then again, he probably doesn't even care about video games, really.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Sumez wrote:I don't want to go further into details about that, because everything else about the game is great, and the it doesn't deserve to be tied up by it.
I think that's the right way to look at it.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I hear it's the composer's issue. He doesn't want it in the game, so it doesn't cut into the sales of the CDs and concerts. Lame. He's like 87. Why so greedy, at that age? Then again, he probably doesn't even care about video games, really.
This is one of the few rumors swirling around, and it may well be true. Look, there are plenty of reasons to be offended by Koichi Sugiyama. And sure, be offended. But play the game from start to finish anyway.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

On that topic of why a flute and a cowbell is all you need, and having 20+ instruments just waters down the soup...

Are there any other games where the cowbell is a lead or the accompaniment in such a prominent song?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

How's this running on PC, for you guys? If anyone is playing it on PC....

I had to overclock mine (and I am not an expert at overclocking, to say the least), to get it running smoother. But it still has it's moments where it has some slowdown. Mainly in the cities.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So... I've only ever played DQ I and II.
I was being that guy and taking on the series in sequence but as people are raving so much about this game, should I just get this new one??
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yes and no. There are definitely a lot of elements of the new game you will appreciate better having played all the other games. And I think a better understanding of what Dragon Quest is, will make it easier to appreciate DQ11, too. Like every other game in the series it draws heavily on traditions that have been around since a bunch of the oldest games.

If you can wait, I'd recommend at least playing through 3, 6 and 8 before this one.
But if you can't wait, there's really nothing lost by playing DQXI before the others.

I played all the games in the series over the past year, but I played them mostly out of order. Pretty much only 1, 2 and 3 were in order.
7 is a slog. You really don't need to play that one.
Last edited by Sumez on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.