A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING - Let's Throwdown.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: Fighting game THROWDOWN thread.

Post by FinalBaton »

pestro87 wrote:
pestro87 wrote:I'm on FightCade playing some ST now. Feel free to drop me a challenge anytime.
cool, I'll play for a bit to warm up, and I'll throw you a challenge after
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

FinalBaton wrote:
pestro87 wrote:
pestro87 wrote:I'm on FightCade playing some ST now. Feel free to drop me a challenge anytime.
cool, I'll play for a bit to warm up, and I'll throw you a challenge after
Sounds good :)

EDIT: Thanks for playing, FinalBaton! Had a great time as always! :)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Questions to all you guys who play Super Turbo

I really don't want to ask this on SRK or any other forum seeing how I'm not registered there
but this has been on my mind forever

I want to know why DP [Dragon Punch/FQCF] in Super Turbo so inconsistent for me

I can pull DPs off in all other games perfectly fine when I need to but in Super Turbo my inputs seem to mess up a lot more than any other fighting games

Can easily pull them off in:
Third Strike
Alpha
BlazBlue
King of Fighters
etc

I can even pull of DPs consistently on the Super Nintendo version of Super Street Fighter but not the Arcade version. There is something about Super Turbo that I have issues with.

Anyone have any idea why?
nem

Post by nem »

Shelcoof wrote:[Dragon Punch/FQCF]
There's your problem ;)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

nem wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:[Dragon Punch/FQCF]
There's your problem ;)
Found this on SRK wiki
"DP - Dragon punch - Tilt stick forwards, then to downward, then to downward and forward. "

Does it really make that huge of a difference if its not hit on the diagonal?
I'm going to have to test this out

Back in the days FQCF was how we all did DPs
Of course on the SNES this worked fine... it wasn't often we played on the original cab

I'm going to slap my self silly if this was the reason
KAI

Post by KAI »

because the dp input in sf2 is shit, that's why.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

KAI wrote:because the dp input in sf2 is shit, that's why.
wait are you serious?
Can you elaborate a bit on it?
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

No it's not because it's 'sf2 is shit' it's because your execution is bad... As the franchise progressed from SF2 onwards Capcom made the inputs more relaxed and easier to pull-off. SF2 won't allow sloppy inputs but with enough practice you can get a 100% rate easily.

Doing a proper DP is a lost art it seems (not counting sf1 here..) For example on SF4 you can do a DP by simply double-tapping df+punch. Crazy.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:No it's not because it's 'sf2 is shit' it's because your execution is bad... As the franchise progressed from SF2 onwards Capcom made the inputs more relaxed and easier to pull-off. SF2 won't allow sloppy inputs but with enough practice you can get a 100% rate easily.

Doing a proper DP is a lost art it seems (not counting sf1 here..) For example on SF4 you can do a DP by simply double-tapping df+punch. Crazy.
I don't know about an easy 100% rate... its been over two decade and I still can't get a consistent DP to save my life

Did they apply the same relaxed inputs to SNES version of Street Fighter II as well?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Shelcoof wrote: Back in the days FQCF was how we all did DPs
Of course on the SNES this worked fine... it wasn't often we played on the original cab
That's probably just you getting lucky with negative edge, with which Capcom has been getting more and more generous over the years. Just look at CvS2.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Shelcoof wrote: Back in the days FQCF was how we all did DPs
That's probably just you getting lucky with negative edge, with which Capcom has been getting more and more generous over the years. Just look at CvS2.
Never even heard of negative edge before
This is really interesting
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Pianoing is your friend too:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Stevens wrote:Pianoing is your friend too:D
At this point I just want to learn how to consistently do a DP lol
Pianoing or Kara Canceling etc is far from my mind at this moment

Surprisingly pointing out FQCF and Negative Edge is sort of helping
I need to put in a bit more practice to figure it out
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

Krimzon Kitzune
KrimzonKitzune (PSN) - Sonic the Fighters, Street Fighter x Tekken, Aquapazza, King of Fighters XIII

I'm usually pretty busy, but I can be available during afternoons or moreso during the weekends. Looking forward to some good fights. I currently don't have a headset, but I can communicate via the PSN phone app. I'll update this info when I do get a headset. I have a good internet connection. I'd like to add that I'm not a sore loser and consider myself a really good sport, win or lose (though admittedly I tend to lose often) and I have fun regardless, though I do try my best.
".... that would be rubbish."
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Agreed it's just that the input registering is unforgiving in SF2 arcade. it certainly doesn't baby the player
Practice a lot and will will get it down.

If you're using a controller in lieu of an arcade stick, make sure you use one that has a really good d-pad
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote:Agreed it's just that the input registering is unforgiving in SF2 arcade. it certainly doesn't baby the player

If you're using a controller in lieu of an arcade stick, make sure you use one that has a really good d-pad
Oh yhaa Super Turbo and probably the Fatal Fury games before 3 all seem to have very strict inputs.

I'm set up pretty good at home with a variety of arcade joysticks. I know its not the joystick as I can pretty much use a JLF/LS-32/LS-40/Hayabusa just fine with other fighters. It's that very strict timing and execution that throws me off... very difficult to pin point.

I gave up ages ago on Super Turbo but I'd like to give it one more shot before absolutely giving up completely
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Timing in the Garou Densetsu games isn't all that bad, at least relative to the Street Fighter games. The trick is to press the attack button a bit later than you would in a Capcom fighter.

That being said, I have had trouble getting Crack Shoots to come out in Special.

EDIT: Briefly tried out Special again. I can pull off three Crack Shoots in quick succession.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:Agreed it's just that the input registering is unforgiving in SF2 arcade. it certainly doesn't baby the player

Oh yhaa Super Turbo and probably the Fatal Fury games before 3 all seem to have very strict inputs.

I'm set up pretty good at home with a variety of arcade joysticks. I know its not the joystick as I can pretty much use a JLF/LS-32/LS-40/Hayabusa just fine with other fighters. It's that very strict timing and execution that throws me off... very difficult to pin point.

I gave up ages ago on Super Turbo but I'd like to give it one more shot before absolutely giving up completely
I personnaly go about it this way :
input FORWARD - DOWN -FORWARD very cleanly (precisely) and fast, and a DP will come out 100% of the time. Practice and practice and practice :D

Each and every time that it hasn't worked out for me, I realised that it was because I hadn't hit all 3 commands cleanly. So it was 100% my fault.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote: I personnaly go about it this way :
input FORWARD - DOWN -FORWARD very cleanly (precisely) and fast, and a DP will come out 100% of the time. Practice and practice and practice :D

Each and every time that it hasn't worked out for me, I realised that it was because I hadn't hit all 3 commands cleanly. So it was 100% my fault.
I know this may sound like a silly question but how about timing the the punch button? At what point should I be pushing and releasing it?

WelshMegalodon wrote:Timing in the Garou Densetsu games isn't all that bad, at least relative to the Street Fighter games. The trick is to press the attack button a bit later than you would in a Capcom fighter.

That being said, I have had trouble getting Crack Shoots to come out in Special.

EDIT: Briefly tried out Special again. I can pull off three Crack Shoots in quick succession.
Performing moves isn't all too bad but when your in the heat of battle and you want a special to come out.... that's the problem.. at least for me
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote: I know this may sound like a silly question but how about timing the the punch button? At what point should I be pushing and releasing it?
interval between FORWARD - PUNCH is the same as intervals between previous commands :)

so get consistent intervals. And then find the right speed ^_^ b
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote: interval between FORWARD - PUNCH is the same as intervals between previous commands :)

so get consistent intervals. And then find the right speed ^_^ b
That's what I've been trying to figure out for over two decades... alright well I'll get working on all the tips people have suggested

Hopefully I'll be able to get gud enough and have a few sessions online :)
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

This might help: https://cs4730.cs.virginia.edu/material ... Primer.pdf

The second chapter covers beginner execution.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote:alright well I'll get working on all the tips people have suggested

Hopefully I'll be able to get gud enough and have a few sessions online :)
Nice! :)
Shelcoof wrote:That's what I've been trying to figure out for over two decades
it really doesn't take long to try out a bunch of different speeds (for the whole command I mean) once you have the "consistent intervals" thing down.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FinalBaton wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:That's what I've been trying to figure out for over two decades
it really doesn't take long to try out a bunch of different speeds (for the whole command I mean) once you have the "consistent intervals" thing down.
Oh I know that's why I've feeling maybe Super Tubo isn't my game. We'll see once I put some more practice in
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Shelcoof wrote:At this point I just want to learn how to consistently do a DP lol
Pianoing is far from my mind at this moment
Surprised pianoing isn't helping you then. Good luck!
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Stevens wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:At this point I just want to learn how to consistently do a DP lol
Pianoing is far from my mind at this moment
Surprised pianoing isn't helping you then. Good luck!
Final Baton solved it for me

I realized I was inputing the commands too slowly that's why I'd get a fireball or a regular attack instead of a DP

Using FinalBaton's method helped me execute the command within the short time frame....at least that's what I think

Didn't take to long until I started getting consistent.
I just need more practice now that I know
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Glad you figured it out.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You don't need consistent intervals, you just have a relatively short window to do everything in. Think of it as a Z motion and it makes more sense. Punch can go down (or come up) after df or while still holding it, doesn't matter. You just gotta do it without too much time passing between the last direction and the button.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

I've posted my info, is it going to be added to the first post?
".... that would be rubbish."
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

trap15 wrote:You don't need consistent intervals, you just have a relatively short window to do everything in. Think of it as a Z motion and it makes more sense. Punch can go down (or come up) after df or while still holding it, doesn't matter. You just gotta do it without too much time passing between the last direction and the button.
That's good to know.. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person with this problem. Many of the guys I know growing up playing Street Fighter 2 in arcades thought of a DP as Forward then Fireball. Thinking you had extra time to do a DP where in reality it was the same window as doing a fireball [at least my understanding of it]

Now that I got this out of the way... I need to work on my cross ups and maybe combos?
We'll see

Appreciate all the help guys.... this was a mystery for me for a while that was holding me back from enjoying the game