A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING - Let's Throwdown.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
pestro87

Re: A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING - Let's Throwdown.

Post by pestro87 »

Nice man! Are you down for some games tomorrow or on Saturday?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Saturday around 6 or 7 could work. I'm going to mom's with the Mrs., I'll have to pack my laptop and stick but I should be able to find a bit of time.

I'll go prepared to play, if I can't I'll let you know.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Nice! Sounds good :) I have a few new tricks with Chun I think (just need to practise them a bit) 8)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I love 3rd Strike, really do, but it ain't no Super Turbo.

The hardest part about learning 3rd Strike is finding people at your ability level. Strongest part of my game has always been fundamentals, which makes the general transition easy. Things like spacing, zoning, footsies, oki ect are universal to the series (and the genre in general). That parry though is the wrench. I don't hate it, I rather quite like it as learning to parry certain moves is quite satisfying.

My real issue with it is on jump ins, jumping in should always be a calculated risk. People who are really good at parrying can essentially jump in for free. The other side of the coin is it is what makes 3rd Strike 3rd Strike. I've played legit 3rd Strike players in ST who learned SF by playing 3rd Strike - they tried to play it like 3rd Strike, but without the parry they kept putting themselves in easily punishable situations.

Clearly the next thing I need to work on is parrying jump ins. That said I want to pick up a second character - thinking Akuma or Ryu to go alongside Remy.

Pestro - I'll let you know as soon as I can about tomorrow.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I'm ready for any game I listed, let me know if you guys are ready for some matches.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Pestro - This evening should be ok around 630/7. I'll holler closer to and let you know when I'll be on.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Awesome! See you then 8) Yeah I really like 3rd Strike but I definitely like ST more. I'm down for either 3rd Strike or ST.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Figure closer to 7. We can start with 3rd and then maybe switch if we feel like it.

Sorry..closer to 730.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

No worries, I’ll sign in now and just drop me a challenge when you’re on
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Great set the other night Pestro.

My biggest gripe with 3rd Strike still remains finding people at, or slightly above, your skill level.

Charcoal is the closest I've found outside of you. Definitely better, but not the "I've been playing 3rd Strike for 15 years" better.

Also ST next time:D Played a set with a Gief' yesterday and figured out some match up stuff. Which was good because the last two sets against a Gief' didn't go well at all (like 9-4 and 5-1). I feel much better about fighting him now.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Sweet, I’ll keep that username in mind! Thanks. The 360 port is really nice since you can record yourself as the opponent in training mode and then practice it.

Awesome! Yeah really looking forward to ST! 8)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Pounding ample amounts of red wine. Going to play ST. This should be good.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Been playing a bunch of ST with various chaps on Fightcade, all cool. There has been a serious lack of face punching between us here though.

Anyone around this weekend? Would like to throwdown on some ST *cough* where you at pestro? *cough* and maybe some others that I don't play and have no interest in picking up seriously like a Real Bout or Last Blade 2.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Let’s do it! :D Friday and Saturday are good for me, I’m off on Friday actually and I don’t have any particular plans on Saturday so whatever works for you - just let me know 8)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Oh yeah.

Tomorrow works 4-5 and 9 on. Might be able to free myself up in between too.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Damn, my wife reminded me that I had already committed to things on Friday but I should be home by 9, will let you know asap if I get delayed.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Roger that:D
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

I’ll be on @ 9:30...
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

That was a monster set pestro, close to 60 matches!

Till next time sir!
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Nice! :D Cheers, had a great time as always! ST is such a good game
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Any interest in some SNK style later? Last Blade 2 or SaM Sho 2/4?
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

I’m not too big on those games tbh but maybe KAI is interested?

As far as SNK goes, I wouldn’t mind some kof if we’re talking 97 or 98 8)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Aww man - Never could get into kof despite watching a tutorial and giving it a fair go.

How about Garou?
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

I used to play Rock in garou a long time ago, I’d be down but I’ll start learning a new char in that case. To clarify, I can do some Last Blade II and Sam Sho II/IV even if they’re not my type of games :) They can still be pretty fun every once in a while. I can do Thursday/Friday night and then during the weekend.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I've played it just enough to have some familiarity with Hotaru and Jenet. The Kim brothers interest me a bit too even though I've never played them.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Wow, I never heard of fightcade. I didn't know they took over from GGPO. I'll have to get in on this too.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

pestro87 wrote:I used to play Rock in garou a long time ago, I’d be down but I’ll start learning a new char in that case. To clarify, I can do some Last Blade II and Sam Sho II/IV even if they’re not my type of games :) They can still be pretty fun every once in a while. I can do Thursday/Friday night and then during the weekend.
No worries on Last Blade/Sam Sho's, I prefer Garou anyways - feels the most like a Capcom joint. It isn't 3rd Strike when it comes to presentation, but its got it where it counts.

Saturday is looking best right now for me.
opt2not wrote:Wow, I never heard of fightcade. I didn't know they took over from GGPO. I'll have to get in on this too.
Yes. Yes you should.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Sounds good, putting it in my calendar :D Did some de-rusting a few days ago, started learning Gato. He's a pretty damn good char... The cr A, cr A -> super is a devastating combo and his jump-in combos are also pretty scary. I completely forgot just how good of a char he is lol...
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Was reading through the wiki and trying to figure out which mechanics I should give the most thought to first. Breaking and the UAL AND UAA seem like the obvious choices. Easy to do consistently.

As far as characters go I think I've settled on one of the Kim brothers, but haven't quite decided which yet. I like Jae Hoon a lot, but Dong is tempting since according to the wiki he doesn't really on feints to deal damage like the rest of the cast, and is a hit and run character. You know how I feel about hit n run.

It is also really hard to feint consistently without having A+C mapped to one button.

Either way I'm looking to finally giving some effort to learning an SNK joint.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Guard Cancels are pretty essential and you definitely want to get used to doing the ground recoveries. Yeah really looking forward to the session on Saturday :D