Having fun at work

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
greg

Having fun at work

Post by greg »

I've found that the key to being productive at work and enjoying the day is to just have fun. For example, I've noticed that one co-worker of mine often uses the phrase "diametrically opposed" a lot and it makes him sound smart. So, I went to Dictionary.com to look up the meaning of the word "impetus." I was determined to be able to use this word correctly until my coworkers either a. are impressed with my vocabulary and think I'm real smart and stuff, or b. go crazy. So while I was on dictionary.com looking up the word "impetus," I got frisky all the sudden and tried looking up the definition of "antidisestablismentarianism." Alas, it was not there, and I voiced my disappointment to my cube mate. He then asked me what the meaning of the word "antidisestablismentarianism" is, and I said, "Well, if I knew the meaning of the word, why would I be looking it up in the dictionary?"

I'm sure nobody appreciates my stupid crap at work. But hey, I'm having fun and it keeps me productive (ie awake). I suppose at this rate I'll never get a raise so that my wife and I can move into a house and start a family. But hey, if I learn to master the word "impetus," maybe I will get a raise! Yeah.... That's the ticket!
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes, but how are the TPS reports coming?
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Brian wrote:Yes, but how are the TPS reports coming?
Haha!!!

Nice one.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
chtimi-CLA

Re: Having fun at work

Post by chtimi-CLA »

if you want to get a significant raise, i know only 3 ways that work:
-work somewhere else, negotiate your initial salary well
-learn to be a good aparatchik and work in a domain as far as possible from any concrete production activity (unless you're a one of a kind expert in some obscure domain)
-be in a situation where you departing would make them lose more money than the raise you're asking for
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

We play practical jokes on others at work every once in a while. It keeps us happy. If you don't have any fun at work, going crazy becomes a "when", and not an "if". Or something like that.

One time I put a dead fish in a co-workers desk drawer. He didn't think it was funny, but everyone else sure did. Things like that really lighten the mood.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Heh...

We usually have a couple of frosty-cold barley pops at my job 8) .
Andi

Post by Andi »

I'm an equipment tech. I work really late hours fixing things when no one is around. I wish I had co-workers to play jokes on. I just end up playing Gameboy.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I work for a medical equipment provider (read: assembling wheelchairs) so I get to have tons of fun at work...especially on the pimped-out $10000 chairs with the hydraulics. Those power wheelchairs can go damned fast if you program them right.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

^ neon, once again you have provided me with much amusement.

i work at a convenience store (i am 20 with a 15 year old's job). and i hate it to death! anyway, most of my enjoyment comes from swearing at customers and calling them names when they can't hear me. also, i get to listen to my cd player on the job and that tends to mellow me out a bit (although the headphone jack on my player is dying, so i am back in league with my potty-mouth)
I have no sig whatsoever.
LoneSage

Re: Having fun at work

Post by LoneSage »

greg wrote: Yeah.... That's the ticket!

I was looking through some Jon Lovitz pictures and came up with this..it fits so perfectly ;)

I got a job at a retirement home in dining services last year; it was only going to be a summer job but then I wouldn't have money. Anyways, there's an old lady working there that reminds me of Cedric the Entertainer's role in the Barbershop movies, and she always talks to me. I found out that sometimes she just nods her head and laughs at whatever I say, so sometimes I talk nonsense like "Frumpty shizzlestu?" and she'll be like "Ahahaha, yessuh I totally agree!".

It's funny, though there are some asshats at work....like the 4'7'' lady cook who has a mullet. I despise that woman.
Neon

Post by Neon »

^ neon, once again you have provided me with much amusement.
Know what's funnier? I'm dead serious. I get paid $8.50 an hour for this crap. :) This job was a real hookup. Like the old saying "It's not what ya know, it's who ya know."

I oughta work there year round instead of going to school, leech off the folks as long as possible. They won't have any of that though.
greg

Post by greg »

Ah, Totally Pointless Stuff reports? You must have seen my profile and saw that I'm a Business Systems Analyst!

Asshats... that always cracks me up.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

greg wrote:
Ah, Totally Pointless Stuff reports? You must have seen my profile and saw that I'm a Business Systems Analyst!
Oddly, at a previous job I had we actually had TPS reports - "Total Provincial Sales". I always got a laugh out of that.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

We play a 4P round of Donkey Konga here in my office almost every day during our lunch break.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

marcus12024 wrote:Oddly, at a previous job I had we actually had TPS reports - "Total Provincial Sales". I always got a laugh out of that.
You know, at work, they always write "BS" on anything we're to backstock. :P

They always do things bass-ackwards at work, like writing out "BS" on the label instead of just drawing a straight line through the shipping bar code like they're supposed to do. They even write BS on the items that go straight to the floor, so there's boxes of stuff on the floor with BS on them AND PEOPLE BUY THEM THAT WAY.

Lovely.
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I play solitaire at work. The network admin thought he could keep people from doing that by deleting all the desktop icons... He actually asked me to quit doing that cause he has no idea how to do anything(He used to work under me but I think they gave him the network admin position just as an excuse to give him a raise. Everyone is pretty sure he's in a gay love affair with the dude who gave him the job.) Did I mention how much this job sucks?
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I work at customer service for a magazine publisher...so between calls I like to read webcomics. :D I've gone through several comic's archives this way. Kevin & Kell was the last one.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Since I'm in between temps, I can't recall a chance I might have had to do something similar as of late. However, when I was working at Club Med's call center, I'd open IE, copy the text off a FAQ or game review, or his forum's threads, and paste it on the notepad file I used to keep track of what I had sold that day. If a supervisor came close, I'd simply hit "undo" and the pasted text would disappear. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Bashing/throwing/crushing obsolete computer equipment was a pasttime at my old job, but around here that's not quite acceptable.

I do check this forum quite a bit at work though (depending on how busy things are), which is nice since I don't have internet access at home.
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

We had some police radar guns returned to us (end of a lease to the local police force) and we tried to see how fast we could slide on the office chairs from one side to the other.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

I work in foodservice.

Nice 9-or-more hour shift of nothing but work.

The only "fun at work" i encounter is the random conversation between co-workers. And even then, some other co-worker or some supervisor (chef, Food+Beverage manager, what have you) will get on my fucking case for "goofing off when there's work that needs to be done".

I hate the fucking job, and everyone else knows it. But, I make $12 an hour. And at the moment, I can't afford a cheaper-paying job. >_<

And some people have caught on to me sneaking into the arcade during my breaktime, when I'm "supposed to be in the break room". That's a nice thing to get written up for, ennit? ._.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

That seems to be wrong. During your breaktime you are not under control of an employer. So if you can go to Albuquerque NM and come back before the end of your break, it's your own fugging business. Try contacting HR at your company and explain. They should provide you with confidentiality if you tell them you feel harassed at work by your superiors.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

A few weeks ago I got called in like 10 hours before my shift because some guy couldn't make it...to make up for it, a nice supervisor told me to take a break (meaning go to the employee lounge, which has a TV and some channels like HBO, which is cool) an hour before my actual shift was supposed to happen and come back up and see if they need me then. Not content to staying in one room for an hour and watching TV, I went back home, watched TV and then played some Sam Sho 4 before going back to work.

All while staying on the clock :o Which means I got paid $6.78 for one hour when I did nothing.

Best thing of all, my supervisor never found out I had left, but if he did I would have got fired fo sho.