shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Code:
THUMPER IS RHYTHM VIOLENCE
YOU ARE A SPACE BEETLE
KILL CRAKHED!

I have been waiting for this game to drop for what seems like an eternity, and after playing as much as I possibly could after work yesterday I'm happy to report that it has completely lived up to my expectations. I'm surprised that I haven't really seen any buzz about it around here, as it is very much in line with the STG design philosophy. Extremely fun and challenging, and becomes something else entirely when you're focusing on scoring. Highly recommend!

http://thumpergame.com/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 3099
Location: Latis / Netherlands
Never heard of it before you mentioned it in PSVR thread.

But after checking up on some video's of it, I definitely will be getting this
on PS4 when my VR set arrives later this week.
_________________
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 4208
Location: Brazil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdRGg5810bk

Trippy.
_________________
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:
You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.


This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:42 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 425
Location: Cornfields of Indiana
Haven't played it yet, but the look is pretty great.
The way you drift, that is, how violently the beetle turns and jumps, looks like it'd be fun to control.
And the trippy 'roadway to heaven' animation on the main website is nice. Reminds me of the Journey scarab!
_________________
Next game is a new giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
I just beat the final level earlier tonight. Fucking amazing! I will not spoil the TLB which may go down as one of the greatest video game bosses of all time, but here's the boss before him to give you an idea how utterly insane the game gets in the final stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VtQPmr90

I am going back to practice scoring routes now, and to get S Ranks on each of the 9 stages. I managed to beat the developer's Level 1 score, and currently have the highest score in the world on the PC leaderboard.

https://twitter.com/Necronopticous/stat ... 36?lang=en

Worked on Level 2 for a few hours but kept making mistakes. I think I'm just mentally exhausted. Tomorrow, then!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 5074
Location: Denmarku
Digging the minimalistic, heavy industrial beats :3 Reminds me of Militia.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2010
Posts: 906
Wow man, I just got this game too!

--F
Necronopticous wrote:
Code:
THUMPER IS RHYTHM VIOLENCE
YOU ARE A SPACE BEETLE
KILL CRAKHED!

I have been waiting for this game to drop for what seems like an eternity, and after playing as much as I possibly could after work yesterday I'm happy to report that it has completely lived up to my expectations. I'm surprised that I haven't really seen any buzz about it around here, as it is very much in line with the STG design philosophy. Extremely fun and challenging, and becomes something else entirely when you're focusing on scoring. Highly recommend!

http://thumpergame.com/
_________________
Image
Click here for STG Weekly! (YouTube Show for Shmups)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:07 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14331
Location: Chicago
Actually makes me wish I had a system.

Dumb question: any scoring?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 709
Location: Dallas, Texas
Necronopticous wrote:

I managed to beat the developer's Level 1 score, and currently have the highest score in the world on the PC leaderboard.



I haven't been able to break ~150k on level 1. do you have a stream of that run? I want to see what some of the top-scorers are doing differently.

that prob answered your question, gaijin. the scoring system is impressively deep; revolving around strict timing and creative input. I vaguely remember reading
that one distinction Thumper makes opposed to traditional rhythm games is emphasis on the off-beat. it's not particularly 'melodic' at times.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
GaijinPunch wrote:
Actually makes me wish I had a system.

Dumb question: any scoring?

Absolutely, scoring is a huge focus in the game, and something that will be completely overlooked by the vast majority of games press/reviews (no surprise there). Much of the scoring is based on making no mistakes and missing no major beats for as long as possible, but there is a whole additional layer built on top of that revolving around the combination of a few fancy moves you can do which feel absolutely amazing to perform. For example, when hitting any major beat on the track (pressing the one button the game uses), you can optionally hold up on the control stick to hop into the air which puts you into a temporary hover state. Then, on a subsequent beat you can press down to slam down onto it rather than hitting the button like usual to power up one of the next major beats on the track. If you do it just right you can perform the same move again and slam down on top of the powered up beat which produces this visceral effect that actually pauses the game for a split second which messes with your rhythm a bit but gives you many more scoring gems for that section. To add to the complexity, you can actually stay airborne thru turns by performing a "perfect turn" which means hitting the directional exactly at the right time, as opposed to drifting through the turn in advance (think parrying vs blocking in Dark Souls). Mastering these mechanics is essential in getting a high score, and completely enhance the feel of playing the game, just like any good STG scoring system.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
rapoon wrote:
I haven't been able to break ~150k on level 1. do you have a stream of that run? I want to see what some of the top-scorers are doing differently.

I was not streaming when I got that score, but I can explain. I think I have completely figured the scoring out. The single most important thing is getting from beginning to end of the entire level (not just the individual waves) without missing any major beat or taking any damage. After wave 1 you will notice that you get a 1,000 point bonus for No Damage and a 1,000 point bonus for No Misses. The key is that each of those two bonuses will increase in value by 500 points for every consecutive wave so long as you are not restarting any section. Yes, this means you have to play it straight through which is absolutely brutal, but the score potential is insane:

Wave 1: 1000 + 1000 = 2000
Wave 2: 1500 + 1500 = 3000
Wave 3: 4000
...
Wave 27: 28,000

No other bonus/trick is going to get you anywhere near the sum of points that you will get from these bonuses chained together for the entire level, but it is also the most difficult thing to do, and makes it even riskier to go for fancy moves when you are deep into the level. If your goal is a top score, a run can be absolutely shattered by missing a beat or hitting a wall during the last few waves.

Level 1 is easy enough that I was able to attempt every possible perfect turn and smash kill the game would allow me, while soaking up every line & air ring. I missed a few points here and there, but my score is probably at least in the ball park for maximum points possible. Anything beyond level 1 is too challenging to go as all-out as this until you've got the entire level mapped out and have extreme confidence in your timing. I tried Level 2 this way for hours and only made it about half way through without a mistake on my best attempt. My advice for scoring on anything beyond level 1 would be to go for all of the fancy moves in the first 5-10 waves so that if you make a mistake it's not so bad to start over, and then after that play as safe as possible to maintain your No Damage and No Misses bonuses to the end. Once we start to reach the point where we can play these levels on nearly pure muscle memory you can probably take it a step further and start mapping out ideal scoring routes through each wave, some of which I already found myself doing on my very first playthru because it's just so much fun to play the game in that way.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 709
Location: Dallas, Texas
Necronopticous wrote:
rapoon wrote:
I haven't been able to break ~150k on level 1. do you have a stream of that run? I want to see what some of the top-scorers are doing differently.

I was not streaming when I got that score, but I can explain. I think I have completely figured the scoring out. The single most important thing is getting from beginning to end of the entire level (not just the individual waves) without missing any major beat or taking any damage. After wave 1 you will notice that you get a 1,000 point bonus for No Damage and a 1,000 point bonus for No Misses. The key is that each of those two bonuses will increase in value by 500 points for every consecutive wave so long as you are not restarting any section. Yes, this means you have to play it straight through which is absolutely brutal, but the score potential is insane:

Wave 1: 1000 + 1000 = 2000
Wave 2: 1500 + 1500 = 3000
Wave 3: 4000
...
Wave 27: 28,000

No other bonus/trick is going to get you anywhere near the sum of points that you will get from these bonuses chained together for the entire level, but it is also the most difficult thing to do, and makes it even riskier to go for fancy moves when you are deep into the level. If your goal is a top score, a run can be absolutely shattered by missing a beat or hitting a wall during the last few waves.

Level 1 is easy enough that I was able to attempt every possible perfect turn and smash kill the game would allow me, while soaking up every line & air ring. I missed a few points here and there, but my score is probably at least in the ball park for maximum points possible. Anything beyond level 1 is too challenging to go as all-out as this until you've got the entire level mapped out and have extreme confidence in your timing. I tried Level 2 this way for hours and only made it about half way through without a mistake on my best attempt. My advice for scoring on anything beyond level 1 would be to go for all of the fancy moves in the first 5-10 waves so that if you make a mistake it's not so bad to start over, and then after that play as safe as possible to maintain your No Damage and No Misses bonuses to the end. Once we start to reach the point where we can play these levels on nearly pure muscle memory you can probably take it a step further and start mapping out ideal scoring routes through each wave, some of which I already found myself doing on my very first playthru because it's just so much fun to play the game in that way.



Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was restarting checkpoints when I'd fuck up, so that makes sense you'd lose the combo. Mistakes are easy and it's unforgiving. Have you noticed any additional scoring by tapping through an uneven shield section instead of holding (i.e. | | | | | (hold X vs hold X (1st 3), tap X, tap X). I started doing this immediately after I saw uneven spacing in the track but I didn't notice additional gems.)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
rapoon wrote:
Have you noticed any additional scoring by tapping through an uneven shield section instead of holding (i.e. | | | | | (hold X vs hold X (1st 3), tap X, tap X). I started doing this immediately after I saw uneven spacing in the track but I didn't notice additional gems.)

I don't think that makes any difference. One thing I'm still unsure about is whether if it ever worth skipping shield markers in favor of maintaining a kill chain. My suspicion is that it is, but it will take some careful investigation to figure out what the threshold is there, and how many shield markers would have to be in a set to produce more gems than a kill, or a power kill even. I will probably stream a bunch tonight while working on S ranks, so I should be able to go back and examine my play carefully after that and see if I can provide an answer to these sorts of questions.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14331
Location: Chicago
Sounds cool. Might have to boot up in Windows and check this shit out!
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Here's a highlight from my stream earlier tonight showcasing some advanced scoring techniques on a rather long & difficult wave of Level 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiykjpUCeIA


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Top player on PC is streaming now:

https://www.twitch.tv/secretcartoonland


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Another highlight from my ongoing quest to s rank all levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVM6z3dqlvs

And Orion destroying my level 5 score shortly after:

https://www.twitch.tv/secretcartoonland/v/94952825

Why aren't you assholes playing this?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5661
No money yet :3
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:18 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
I will gift the game to anyone who really wants to play but actually can not afford it (be honest, we're talking $20 here) under obligation of clearing all nine levels at the very least (I will hold you to it). I'm Necronopticous on Steam, hit me up.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 5661
Dun worry about that, I'll be getting some dough soon lol.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
I just finished getting S rank on all levels, and currently hold overall WR.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:24 am 



Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Posts: 292
I heard this game basically just controls with left stick & X button on PS4. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can an arcade stick be used? If so, any benefit to doing so (other than getting more use out of a PS4 arcade stick)?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Yeah, arcade stick works pretty well with THUMPER. The benefit is that it's not as hard on your fingers. My thumbs are absolutely brutalized from playing on a PS4 controller w/d-pad for a week straight. It feels pretty good with the stick, too. I eventually went back to the PS4 controller since I have become very comfortable playing with it, but that's really the only reason.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 4208
Location: Brazil
Someone on the Steam forums actually recommends playing with an arcade stick.
_________________
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:
You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.


This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:42 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2010
Posts: 1297
Location: Chicago
main reason I want to check this out is because Brian Gibson. lightning bolt is the shit.

glad to hear this is pretty spot on
_________________
a creature... half solid half gas


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Orion Rigel Dommisse has been streaming the game. She is personal friends with Brian Gibson, and beta tested the game for a year before release. She streamed from Brian's house last week and played THUMPER with a bunch of friends. Brian plays, himself, for a significant portion of the stream, and answers many viewer questions about the game. Here are the past broadcasts from that night:

https://www.twitch.tv/secretcartoonland/v/96178136
https://www.twitch.tv/secretcartoonland/v/96181921
https://www.twitch.tv/secretcartoonland/v/96181921


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:04 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
New gameplay mode PLAY+ dropped today. Advanced one-life-clear mode with rank-style speed throttling on high score multipliers. If you needed any more reason to play this game...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:17 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Posts: 3336
Location: Western-MA USA
I have a PS4 on the way, my first new console since Deathsmiles his JP 360 in '07/08?!!

Thumper is likely going to be my first PS4 game, so pumped to play it :D
_________________
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THUMPER (out now)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Game of the goddamned year, and certainly a great break-in title for your new PS4. Let me know how it goes!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BIL, CyberAngel and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group