The version comparison thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obiwanshinobi

Re: The version comparison thread

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

OutRun 2SP (as 2006: Coast 2 Coast was titled in Japan) for PS2 is content-wise about the same as the overseas versions (60 Hz and prog-scan in PAL too), but it's without the opening FMV (not a biggie - heavily compressed gameplay footage), adds Logitech Driving Force Pro support and seems to drop fewer frames than the previous PS2 build (certainly adds deflickering filter, absent in 2006: Coast 2 Coast release, so in 480i - the latter looks sharper but its edges crawl more visibly).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

zinger

Post by zinger »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
zinger wrote:I'm planning to pick up all the other Kamiya/Clover games for PS2 within the next couple of months, I'd be surprised if they weren't rendered at the correct speed, but who knows, and maybe they messed up something else instead?
They've pretty much all been 60 Hz from 2002 (DMC2, Onimusha 2) onwards; Bombastic is the only one I know to not be (although it is full-screen and can be sped up in options). The only three omissions where PAL got nothing in exchange are: some unlockable video(s) in Ōkami, the extra-fast mode in DMC3SE and the Japanese voices in Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (perhaps FMVs stored in both formats hogged data storage space? It's 2 DVDs' worth of ROM after all.) Nevertheless, those 3 games ARE 60 Hz in PAL.
The tweaks in RE4 and BoF: Dragon Quarter hardly make or break those. Viewtiful Joe for PAL PS2 got the best boxart if you ask me and Gregory Horror Show PAL is the Hobson's choice if you can't understand Japanese much.
That's great to know! Thanks! Viewtiful Joe PAL is already on the way, actually, but I think I'll get the GC version of RE4/BH4 instead because: 1) it looks better?, 2) I heard the PS2 couldn't handle as many enemy models at once, and thus re-directed some sections?

Currently playing Ookami PAL, and it feels good to know it's running at the correct speed, although something feels wrong about the translation. Now, I haven't played the original game, but it's like they got the tone of the dialogue completely wrong... or well, I guess it would be hard to get it right at all for a game that's so intimately connected with Japanese culture. I'm pretty disappointed in the game overall, so I don't think I'll bother with it anymore in either case, but I still wish I had tried the Japanese language version first.

What about God Hand?
BIL wrote:PS2 Shinobi is NTSC-US or bust imo, for two reasons.
Noted! Although damn, now I guess I have to shell out for a region-free PS2 anyway! ;)
SOUNDSHOCK
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:OutRun 2SP (as 2006: Coast 2 Coast was titled in Japan)...adds Logitech Driving Force Pro support
To clarify, the JP release adds wheel support in general and the game works with many PS2 wheels. Works great with the GT Force, for example. The US/PAL releases don't support any wheels.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

zinger wrote:I think I'll get the GC version of RE4/BH4 instead because: 1) it looks better?, 2) I heard the PS2 couldn't handle as many enemy models at once, and thus re-directed some sections?
The PAL-specific tweaks were already in the GameCube original. I played PS2, then Wii PAL versions (both 60 Hz and - I believe - prog-scanned if chosen so) and none seemed any less crowded than the other anywhere to me, although PS2 arguably slows down more when the screen gets busier.
I actually suspect the Wii one of lagging more than PS2 port (cleverly disguised when pointing with remote - 3D model responds nowhere near as briskly as the cursor), but when using GameCube controller (only when remote's accumulators run dry), said differennce wasn't so palatable anymore.

Looks SHARPER on the Wii (vertical resolution still isn't 480, though, but I believe you can smear it upon entire widescreen now, which I'm not sure was a feature on GameCube; plain 4:3 RGB CRT is the way to go either way), there are some shaders missing on PS2, some textures are downgraded, some models - lower on polygons and I think voice samples are of inferior quality... yet it's all hardly a dealbreaker. Things that looked bad to me on PS2 - didn't look any better on Wii, and what I did like - I liked on both.

If anything about crowds differs - it's the VARIETY of models rather than their numbers (I did not examine the issue thoroughly).

Best-looking PS2 PAL cover again (not so much the Platinum re-issue, mind).

God Hand PAL (in 60 Hz mode) is effectively the same as NTSC US/C (both differ from NTSC J and I'm sure you can find a breakdown of those differences online).
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

zinger

Post by zinger »

Thanks. Here's a video where God Hand JP and US versions are compared, if anyone else is interested:

https://youtu.be/-pxkq_f65lc
SOUNDSHOCK
CIT

Post by CIT »

Question: What's the best home version of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun/Renegade?

Famicom? Master System (ported by Natsume!)? PS2?
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

CIT wrote:Question: What's the best home version of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun/Renegade?

Famicom? Master System (ported by Natsume!)? PS2?
Aside from the arcade I'd say the PS2 version is the best since it seems to be arcade perfect, the arcade version of this game is pretty good, solid mechanics, many enemies on screen with a consistent frame-rate unlike Doube Dragon. As for the 8-bits ports I'd say the Master System version, it plays pretty similar to the NES version but with better presentation.

Final Fight comparison:

-X68000: This one is almost arcade perfect except for one thing, there are only 4 enemies on screen, while the arcade has +8. Also the music has slightly higher pitch and the voice samples interrupt, but they are minor issues.

-Sega CD: This port is pretty similar to the X68000 but with a major gameplay flaw that is the slower combo speed, and other minor gameplay oddities (e.g. no cooldown for Haggar's throw). Presentation-wise it's pretty good in backgrounds/animation except for the duller colors of the Genesis, time attack and arranged soundtrack are also a nice touch. A good accurate port overall but the combo speed issue can be annoying.

-SNES: This "port" is so inaccurate to the arcade that I'd call it Final Fight "lite". Enemy placement is completely wrong, AI of enemies/bosses are very off, bosses have much longer invincibility wake-up, 3 enemies on screen with no objects, damage balance is weird and so on. Presentation-wise it's also quite downgraded: worse sprites, half of the animation is cut, the backgrounds were redrawn for the worse missing a lot of detail, many voice samples missing too. Then you have the popular problems: missing guy, no co-op and no level 4; you can play as guy in Final Fight Guy but it's equally mediocre, you can't even wall-jump on all the walls like the arcade.

-GBA: This one is just an improved version of the SNES port, it has more enemies on screen (6), added Industrial Area and Guy, but otherwise it's just as inaccurate to the arcade in gameplay/graphics. It's also horribly balanced, the SNES port's difficulty was rebalanced to be challenging even with 3 enemies on screen, this version has 6 enemies but with nothing changed from the SNES version, so it's pretty tough for the wrong reasons.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Tonight's gaming brought to mind some small regional oddities in a couple iconic action games. Notably, both play more or less the same across the listed regions; this is just minor stylistic weirdness.

The Super Shinobi (MD) / The Revenge of Shinobi (GEN): The US version's multiple revisions to edit/eliminate its more copyright-tempting content (Rambo, "Spiderman/Batman," Godzilla... and the title screen's Sonny Chiba, if we include the Wii VC release) are well-known.

On the Japanese side, I used to think I'd lucked out on an uncensored "Rev1.0" Japanese copy, but apparently, this was the only one ever released. I've looked around and can't find any evidence of later revisions... so for collectors who want maximum unlicensed naughtiness, the JP cart may be a simpler option than hunting for an early US revision. Especially as Sonny Chiba's glaring mug is right there on the boxart for vintage Sega DGAF! Edit this, punks!

This is also one of those earlier MD carts that contains the US revision, and will automatically boot it up on a Genesis. (these carts could almost become their own topic - such a cool feature! I wish it'd persisted throughout the console's lifespan)

Contra Spirits (SFC) / Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) In addition to the ending trigger alterations Sir Ilpalazzo mentioned, the US version needed a tiny visual edit due to the previous two NES games. Since those relocated the series' timeline from the 27th century to the 1980s, but Contra III took place in the far future as scheduled... not only were "Jimbo and Sully" necessary to replace poor long-dead Mad Dog and Scorpion, but the ending photos chronicling Bill and Lance's mantastic three-game adventure had their dates quietly scrubbed off.

I just love the implication of Konami USA's retarded manuals actually impacting later games in the series like this, particularly in such a tiny but inescapable manner. :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: The Super Shinobi (MD) / The Revenge of Shinobi (GEN): The US version's multiple revisions to edit/eliminate its more copyright-tempting content (Rambo, "Spiderman/Batman," Godzilla... and the title screen's Sonny Chiba, if we include the Wii VC release) are well-known.
As far as I know, the 360 version of Revenge of Shinobi in the Sega Vintage Collection pack (which also has Alex Kidd in Miracle World SMS and the AC Super Hang On) has the same changes as the VC version. I'll check to see if you can still choose the JP version, as with the other M2 360 collections. The PC version of the Sega Smash Pack did something very odd. It had the JP proto version of Super Shinobi, which had Batman intact, but no ending.
This is also one of those earlier MD carts that contains the US revision, and will automatically boot it up on a Genesis. (these carts could almost become their own topic - such a cool feature! I wish it'd persisted throughout the console's lifespan)
Gain Ground is an interesting case of that. Not only does the JP version have the US version on cart, but it even shows the Renovation (US Publisher) copyright when played on a US system.

edit: The Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd and Co version of Revenge of Shinobi does have the Japanese Super Shinobi version, though it probably still has the copyright changes made to the US version.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think there's a thread on sega-16 or similar about those carts. My favourites on these are Grind Stormer, which changes the powerup system completely (even though Jap mode is also selectable through the options screen), and Mystic Defender which removes most of the americanized "censorship" of its anime ancestry.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Burning Force (Namco System 2/Mega Drive) While the MD version is competent there are some things missing. There is no background/time of day change between the different areas of each "day". Some of the BGM tracks are removed (you get the Area 1 theme for areas 2 & 3 as well). Its prerendered scaling is better than what you see in Space Harrier II, but of course the arcade will look best with HW scaling. MD gameplay is generally similar to the arcade but rebalanced- there is a lifebar that allows taking 3 hits before losing one life. In the arcade version, you can only lose a life from being shot down. Ramming into obstacles on the MD version costs one lifebar point, and can be deadly. Green globe items are added, and if you collect 5 you can activate a brief period of invulnerability.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Sumez wrote:My favourites on these are Grind Stormer, which changes the powerup system completely (even though Jap mode is also selectable through the options screen)
The option to switch back and forth between the two variants (V-V and Grind Stormer) is taken directly from the original arcade PCB (you needed to input a code as you were entering your credit, but the choice of playing in either Gradius-power-up mode or Bomber mode is still there).
Vludi wrote:-Sega CD: This port is pretty similar to the X68000 but with a major gameplay flaw that is the slower combo speed, and other minor gameplay oddities (e.g. no cooldown for Haggar's throw). Presentation-wise it's pretty good in backgrounds/animation except for the duller colors of the Genesis, time attack and arranged soundtrack are also a nice touch. A good accurate port overall but the combo speed issue can be annoying.
The weird combo-speed is partially due to Sega adding random animation frames all over the place to the main 3 characters. It should also be noted the the NTSC-J and NTSC-U/C copies of the game have numerous differences.
Roxy and Poison wear slightly longer crop-tops and shorts in the NA version.
The introduction is edited differently between the 2 releases.
When Damnd calls Haggar to reveal that they've kidnapped his daughter, Jessica is only wearing a bra in the JP version but is wearing a red dress in the NA version.
During the above scene, in the NA version, Haggar is just gritting his teeth. In the JP version he clearly animated saying "KIIIISAAAAMAAAAA" in rage.
The JP version has an additional scene during the ending (after Haggar and Jessica are reunited). Cody and Guy have a short exchange about Jessica's future (which explains why Guy later punches the crap out of him).
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

According to Gamefaqs it was ported by "A-Wave", no idea about them.
The SNES/GBA versions also have regional differences, basically no censorship on jp (Poison and Roxy, blood, alcohol, original names etc).
In the arcade the only difference I remember is Jessica in bra, there are also little gameplay differences like a couple more barrels.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Can someone please explain the differences between Western Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Xbox, PS2, PSP) and Japanese Outrun 2 SP (PS2)?

Is there a "definitive" console version?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

CIT wrote:Can someone please explain the differences between Western Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Xbox, PS2, PSP) and Japanese Outrun 2 SP (PS2)?

Is there a "definitive" console version?
I'd say the JP-exclusive Outrun 2 SP is the one. For one, it has wheel support and force feedback, which C2C sorely lacks (on PS2, anyway). Over at Rolling Start there's a little bit discussion about this here, but I don't think a comprehensive list of differences exist yet.

Another option could be the PC version of C2C. Still looks great and works great even on modern operating systems.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
NYN

Ultra Violent Kick

Post by NYN »

Capcom's brawler Viewtiful Joe differs 'tween CameCube and PlayStay2.

For the Sony side there are some additions:

- 5 difficulties to GC's 4
- the rename of said difficulties: the mildest GC appropriatly termed KIDS becomes NORMAL; GC ADULTS changes to HARD; V-Rated and ULTRA V-Rated stay the same. PS2 exclusive is the EASY mode which is very mild, so much so that I would dub it TODDLER for GC
- the exclusive player character Dante the Devil Hunter, from the original DMC, is on his quest to fill trashy Trish's dark soul with liiiiiiighttt, making it 4 characters to unlock in total
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Viewtiful Joe for PAL PS2 got the best boxart if you ask me
I disagree.
To me it looks designed for a NA release. So serious. I own the PAL yellow one for CameCube, since I had the choice. Pink's fine too. Both scream mad flavour.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I hope it's okay if I copy/paste in my DEFINITIVE Vampire Killer (Expert) vs Castlevania Bloodlines (Expert) comparison. Image I'm pretty conversant with both versions, but as always, corrections/contributions gratefully accepted!

BEGIN R2RKMF (that's "run to the right killing motherfuckers") TRANSMISSION

---

I've long maintained the JP->US Expert Difficulty boost is more of a polishing tweak than a credible gap, and concentrated overwhelmingly in the first stage at that - but niggle niggle! Fired up US ver last night to refresh my memory, while browsing ebay in deep despair, and ended up no-missing Expert after not playing that version+mode in friggin years now. Replayed VK on same settings immediately after and yep, the difference is pretty illusory. So at last, I get to the point of this post: it's time for a slightly fresher stage-by-stage breakdown!

st1-1 (garden): no difference lmao.
1-2 (entryway pt1): No difference.
1-3 (basement): identical. All ghosts present and accounted for - as are all ghosts throughout the game. Praise the lord! :O If VK was lacking even one of these wonderful varmints, I'd have to give it the boot! Best enemies in the game imo.
1-4 (entryway pt2): identical.
1-5 (dungeons): biggest and best US upgrade by far, which still isn't saying much tbh. Penultimate area adds infinitely respawning turbo bats, aimed at your back. Excellent complication to the otherwise overmatched boney-kuns.
1-6 (boss approach): identical.

st2: ah, my beautiful Atlantis. ¦3 This stage is fookin identical save two changes, the first subtle and the second a bit daft:

i) platform-orbiting fuzzies move a tick faster here, and in stage 6. It's not immediately apparent, compare both versions side by side.

ii) Golem has one more segment, putting his head a bit higher offscreen. LOLOL. Now if they'd removed the safe spot at the left screen edge, we'd be talkin'. (needless to say, if you use that safespot YOUR SCARED LMAO) REVISED NOTE: VKE's Golem actually does gain this additional segment, in the st6 rematch - BLE just clones it back to st2.

st3: ah, my beautiful Pisa. ¦3 This stage is fookin identical in all regards. Every lovely Harpy spawn in opening section present, with respawn frequency unchanged. I love VK Harpies, meaty as fuck to take down.

st4: ah, my beautiful Munitions Factory. ¦3 This stage is fookin identical in all regards. Penultimate section's infinitely respawning backstabber turbo bats (the ones cloned to st1.5 in US) are all present and correct.

st5: another superbly action-packed stage, with one minor change: Evil Pillar miniboss's fireballs launch in threes in US, versus pairs in JP. Makes him a tad trickier to shut down, though shut him down expert players will. Cool bit of tuning.

st6: Aha. This was always my pick for Bloodlines' biggest difficulty boost by far - where Death gives a sole life restore in VK, you get nothing whatsoever here, turning the stage into a considerably grueling trial. As noted above, the fuzzies are quicker too, making flawless passage through the inverted hall a far harder prospect.

However, despite making an absolute cock of said crossing (left the section with 50% HP), I was able to pull through to the end for the no-miss. I'm mentioning this to point out: I don't think the US version's harsher damage scale is global, unlike say Castlevania III's bone-crushing Loop 2 scale. I even had a last-minute scare to surprisingly little cost - nuked the fuck out of Drolta, because her skittery movement and oddly delayed pincer attack creep me out, leaving me with no ammo for Dracula's monster form. Was doing fine until being distracted by his last phase's cool Agonyface Pauldrons™, and got tangled up fucking underneath him. OH GOD I'M GONNA DIE - wait, he only did like 2HP per hit before I got free and finished him off. Hmm.

TLDR: Bloodlines' Expert difficulty tune-ups are certainly there, but outside of st1.5's rather nice turbo bats, they're overwhelmingly for style points. Enemy numbers from st2 to the end are identical to Vampire Killer Expert. Only one enemy and midboss apiece (Fuzzies + Evil Pillar) actually behave differently. And only the final stage removes a health restore. US seems to do more damage in spots, but it's not universal, and tbh, if you're getting hit enough to die, you deserve to. ;3

---

END R2RKMF (that's "run to the right killing motherfuckers") TRANSMISSION