shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:33 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Late realizations
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:
The car from the Spy Hunter arcade cabinet's artwork actually exists.

It's the Mercedes Isdera Imperator:

https://youtu.be/D4IR6Ukv7gk

Interesting! Glancing at the profile shot, I'd have thought it was a riff on the Lotus Esprit from The Spy Who Loved Me. (the "submarine car" of much infamy)

"Now listen carefully, 007! Get ALL the pussy with Submarine Car!"

(I know I sure did, when I flashed my copy of Battle Formula at the office cleaning lady - she kinda looked like Q, too! :shock:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 am 

Had no idea John Saxon (a friend of R2RKMF via his iconic Roper) was a paisan, born Carmine Orrico. :o Suddenly seems a lot less random in Tenebrae. Handsome devil.

Had no idea Mark Knopfler is English, WTF! :shock: I always filed Dire Straits in with The Eagles, Creedence, and all the other FM radio US uncle rock staples.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:20 pm 

BIL wrote:
Had no idea Mark Knopfler is English, WTF! :shock: I always filed Dire Straits in with The Eagles, Creedence, and all the other FM radio US uncle rock staples.

Did you know he did the soundtrack to The Princess Bride?

But yeah, I think I assumed they were Canadian or something until way later. Also, I think he's like half Hungarian and born in Scotland, so "English" is debatable? I don't really understand how cultural identity work over there, so whatever.

I just realized that those plastic drink caps that break their own inner seal when you unscrew them actually have a cutting wheel set inside of them that does the job. I had always just assumed that the lid itself was doing the cutting:

https://youtu.be/11m1sS_6WhI?t=125

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:24 am 

Oh yeah, I see now he was actually born in Glasgow, before his family moved back to his mother's Newcastle when he was seven.

Quote:
“I used to listen to records when I was very, very small, probably before I was two: I was listening to the radio and my mum singing. So it’s natural to me. So when people sometimes say to me: ‘How do you write that, or where does that come from, they sound a thousand years old?’ I think it is partly coming from Glasgow, and from being in Scotland, and from the north east, where my mother’s family is from. There are huge links between the Geordies and the Scots.”

I don't know the rules either. I did get issues of the Dandy mailed me from family in England as a kid, though! Sounds complicated Image

Nope, never actually seen The Princess Bride, other than when it was new, and I was too small to remember much but the seals and the resurrection machine (scary! painful!). I'm workin' on it though. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 pm 

Mark Knopfler is such a boss.

The song Romeo and Juliet from Princess Bride is an amazing guitar piece.

I know he's a pretty well regarded guitarist, but I still think he's a bit under the radar, probably due to not having as many hit songs, but man, his chops are second to none.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:21 am 

The 'Game Over' jingle from Batsugun is cribbed almost note-for-note from the 'Fight Start' jingle from the original Street Fighter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:15 pm 

That Ya Kid K from Technotronic is a woman. For whatever reason, I thought she was a dude in the videos when I saw them in middle school. If you watch the video, you can see she's dressed pretty butch, and then you get these shots of stereotypical women. Whatever, I was very young and I hadn't seen that kind of fashion yet I guess. Now I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuCxLjZQJqs

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16