Late realizations

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drauch

Re: Late realizations

Post by drauch »

Accidentally sent a parcel of jerkoff toys to my old address and it's already halfway there and I can't change the address.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

easy come easy go...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck that's rough, sorry bro Image
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

vol.2 wrote:easy come
Not anymore.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Today I discovered that the much touted 64-bit processor on the Nintendo 64... was rarely ever used for 64-bit processing. Very few games actually used 64-bit mode, and stuck to 32-bit instead, due to how the hardware was designed.
In general, development was mainly done in C, assembly was also used to achieve better performance. While this system provides a 64-bit instruction set, 64-bit instructions were rarely used since, in practice, 32-bit instructions happened to be faster to execute and require half the storage.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Advertising video game systems by some arbitrary "bit" count somewhere on their CPU has always been BS marketing ever since Sega decided to tout their "16-bit console". :P
Says absolutely nothing relevant for the consumer.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

i remember when i was a kid (in the 80's) one of my friends told me that the Nintendo had 4 bits in the system and 4 bits in the cartridge. thankfully he was known to be generally full of shit, so i didn't believe he knew what he was talking about.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I contacted the new resident and got my j/o toys and nobody even opened them to try them out. God is good.
BIL

Post by BIL »

INSHALLAH (`w´メ)
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

In WH40K: Gladius, you have the option to remove enemy factions entirely and run the story quests in peace.

This changes everything.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

After playing King's Field IV for hours... I discovered you can run by holding X (undocumented in the in-game controls).

I guess because everyone online complained the game was glacially slow I just assumed you couldn't run!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You can run in all the KF games. In KF4, running makes you about as fast as you are when walking in the earlier games, and those are already super slow (mostly due to the constant slowdown)

So yeah, even when running, it's still a super slow game :D
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The option to change the battle mode from Active to Wait was present in the original Super Famicom version of Final Fantasy IV, but inexplicably removed from the North American SNES release.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

i just realized that Capcom is Capcon in Japanese. I understand why now that I think about it, because it's Capsule Computer company (Cap-Com), but in Japanese, they generally replace M with N in katakana because they can't make a jump from an M to another consonant in an elegant way. They only choices they would have are ma, me, mi, mo, mu (or one of the diacritic variants) and those would sound janky.

Tho they could have easily stuck with Capcon, because people in the rest of the world aren't going to realize it's a portmanteau anyways.

Idk, whatever; i never realized.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

"Famicom" is written as "Famicon" (ファミコン) for the same reason.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

- The option to switch between Active and Wait modes was present in the original Super Famicom release of Final Fantasy IV.

- Makaimura predates Super Mario Bros. by two months.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I mean he was a Holly "Roman Polanski did nothing wrong" Wood regular, I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm just a wee bit rueful to recall (I swear I dimly remember this when it happened... maybe not, late AF either way) that The Weird Dude In All Those Movies Jeffrey Jones is a chomo. "Wow! With his beady eyes, sharkish grin, and big fuckin balding head, he's a creepy dude!" young me often thought. WOW I HATE BEING RIGHT :o
drauch

Post by drauch »

Used to be good friends with a man of the same name, so some jokes were made at his expense at times.

Wow, didn't know he actually migrated back into acting after all of that. Not that he's a huge star anymore, but damn, figured he'd be gone forever after hiring a fuckin' 14 y/o to pose nude.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Apparently he's in the Deadwood movie (2019), I hope they gave him something to make his wood dead too, or at least not raised by kids :o

More like PEDWOOD m. i. ryeeete Image Image Image (MULTIFACETED HUMOURS :shock:)

RIP Jeff, formerly only creepy lookin but now just creepy :sad:
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Code: Select all

explorer.exe /select,%1
This little snippet will open a file browser window and highlight whatever file is represented by %1.

Adding this as a shortcut in my image viewer was a godsend, so I could actually find the file I was viewing in my gigantic pile of images without having to leave the viewer and type the name into search, blah, blah, blah. Just absolutely dead useful.
Replace the %1 with whatever your image viewer [or something else] uses to represent the name of the currently open file.

On a related note, adding a shortcut to my image viewer so I could open up GIMP took me FAR too long [like, ten years lmao :oops: ].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

In Back to the Future, when Marty returns to the present, the first clue that things have changed is the Twin Pines mall is now named the Lone Pine mall after he ran over one of them.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
RGC

Post by RGC »

Mischief Maker wrote:In Back to the Future, when Marty returns to the present, the first clue that things have changed is the Twin Pines mall is now named the Lone Pine mall after he ran over one of them.
In a similar vein, I only discovered yesterday that the Deputy in BttF3, aka "Get him outta that shit"-man was played by none other than Police Academy actor Donovan Scott (Leslie Barbara).
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

In The Fellowship of the Ring, during their walk-and-talk at Isengard, what I remembered as Saruman telling Gandalf, "your love of the halflings has slowed your mind" is actually, "your love of the Halfling's leaf has slowed your mind."

It's a weed reference!

BIL

Post by BIL »

SMOKE LEAF EVERYDAY Image

This morning I discovered Indiana Jonez GR8 VALUE ADVENTURES on SNES has authentic cutscenes! :o

Image Image

German-made afaik. Delightful! Image Recalls the bonafide R2RKMF Cinema of KLON's Predator on FC/NES!

null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ctrl+Esc lowers the current window to the bottom of the stack. Absurdly dead-useful.

It feels like I should have known this for decades. Maybe I've even heard the shortcut before, just never used it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I've hardly ever visited internet lately, but as I'm about to pay some bills and so I turned computer on, I may as well report the latest of my late realisations here: I learnt this morning that Polish writer Józef Hen is iving through 100th year of his life (born 8th November A.D. 1923), reportedly in a pretty good intellectual shape still. Since it's a rare case of uplifting news in my recent life, I hereby share it.
To put the strength of influence he had on some into perspective, I can tell you that the very beginning of the very first Witcher novella is nearly a quotation of the paragraph beginning his historical novel Crimen. Never a real popular author (nothing of a celebrity) from what I know, and I have no idea how represented his works in foreign tongues are. I see Crimen TV series, not all bad if memory serves, can be watched here legit, no English subs, and it's heavily dialogue-driven. The light chivalry shown early on are supposed to be those - so called lisovchiks - times depicted - early XVII-th Century.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Fascinating, thanks for the link! We miss out on a lot of central and eastern European literature, film, and music in the mainstream Anglosphere, I think. You've posted a lot of good stuff I'd no idea about, like that Kaman & The Big Bit LP. Image Image

It's remarkable how well some people age... Dom Chianese (best known as Johnny Ola in Godfather Part 2 and Uncle Jun from The Sopranos) is sharp as a tack at 92. Feels like jinxing the poor souls, I know, but who wants to live in fear? Image
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Just noticed that Aldynes for SuperGrafx has a typo on the cover. It's missing the second "I" in "Mission":

Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

null1024 wrote:Ctrl+Esc lowers the current window to the bottom of the stack. Absurdly dead-useful.

It feels like I should have known this for decades. Maybe I've even heard the shortcut before, just never used it.
hmmm. Just tried this in Windows 11 and it pulls up the start menu.