shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Late realizations
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
they got pretty long feet too, acting as raquette à neige, hence their name :mrgreen:

So cute Image I'd seen "Snowshoe Hare," but the French's evocation is particularly endearing.

"Variable Hare" is pretty cool too. :cool:

Mischief Maker wrote:
But are you ready for the mind-bending fact that cuttlefish use their super color-changing powers to HYPNOTIZE their prey???

That bitch Neon Light Illusion tries this all the time Image Or perhaps he's trying to extra-impress the ladies. Cephalapoda houses a truly fascinating range of crazy evolutionary adaptations for being seen/not seen...

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:32 pm 

What do you think about that manta ray or whatever who ''crossdresses'' to get past the alpha male, and fucks his harem? :lol: that's pretty insane too.

LMAO that exposes the alpha ''hetero'' CHAD, as effectively closeted! : he saw the cross dresser and though ''Oi, you're pretty kyoot. Mind if we have some fun later? ^o-

some sweet schadenfreude right there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 pm 

Heard a zoologist once term that the "sneaky fucker" strategy, AKA kleptogamy. :lol:

EDIT: blimey, the terminology seems pretty widespread - here's Richard Dawkins busting it out, while positing it may be how a theoretical gay gene sticks around. :mrgreen:

I'm not a biologist and have no opinion on why anyone likes anything, but the notion of alpha caveman being all "YEAHHH! My gaydar cannot be beat! Larry you massive homo, you suck one good dick, now watch my bitches while I'm off getting your dinner! Haw haw!" "Yes Wolfy, honey!" *PALEOLITHIC PLOWING SESSION* Morgan Freeman: "WOLFCOCK THUNDERFIST never reproduced, and unknowingly provided for all ten of Larry The Homo's children before being tragically assraped to death by an enraged mastodon" would definitely make a decent short film. Image

Seems Snowshoe Hares' seasonal coat change relies on ipRGCs, or Intrinsically Photosensitive Retinal Ganglion Cells. More/less sunlight = brain regulates fur colour accordingly via hormones. They will indeed stay in winter or spring mode, if their current environment calls for it due to migration/kidnap! Nowhere as inhumanly spectacular as the cephalapods' tricks, or even chameleons', but still pretty neat imo. From a total layman's perspective, I'd have assumed the fur itself simply reacted to the amount of sunlight absorbed, like a suntan, rather than it being a neurological process.

Fascinates me that research on cephalapods and chameleons' exact camouflaging mechanisms is still very much ongoing, must have some crazy evolutionary biotechnology going on.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:12 pm 

So I used to have a beef with the proportions of characters painted by George Kamitani, as well as by the dude who did artwork for Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, as supposed examples of them artists having skipped their live model drawing lessons at school. Japanese pop-artistry in general stands having a lot to answer for in this regard. Since the time I had those resevations of mine, however, I've learnt a thing or two about Mannerism, so now it seems to me like those two chaps at least continue something of a tradition.

Spoiler: show

Source.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:14 pm 

- Dora of Dora the Explorer derives her name from the Spanish word for "explorer", which is exploradora.
- Shift + F10 does the same thing as right-click.
- Final Fantasy's White, Black, and Red Mages are a reference to the mages of Dragonlance.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15